tedroach
tedroach Reader
6/3/20 9:27 a.m.

Since moving to the Netherlands, I have been trying to cope with the loss of having a garage and cars to play with. Naturally the next thing is to look for a boat, right? Of course, I had to come across this ad today. Not sure what it is, but I like it!

Edit: I have no intention of buying this. I just thought it looked cool.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/757057058159862/

mitchfishman5
mitchfishman5 New Reader
6/3/20 9:33 a.m.

Hey if it runs and you got the money go for it. It'd be quite an introduction to your new neighbors. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/3/20 9:45 a.m.

I don't know why you don't need that. 

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
6/3/20 9:54 a.m.

Looks like good old fashioned Family Fun.

Comrade

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
6/3/20 9:54 a.m.
Mndsm said:

We all need that.  Now that I know it exists, I think I may have to have one also.  smiley

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/3/20 9:58 a.m.

I'm just thinking of the looks you would get at the local boat ramp if you pulled up to launch one of those.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/3/20 10:48 a.m.

Well, given that you're in the Netherlands I'd just like to point out that a fairly large portion of the country is below sea level.

You know, just in case that helps with the decision. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
6/3/20 11:32 a.m.

Four cylinder 2 stroke diesel, you are not going to sneak up on anyonecheeky

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
6/3/20 11:36 a.m.

I don't see how you could pass up a chance to buy an old car that is ALSO an old boat - it let's you make all the bad decisions at one time!

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Reader
6/3/20 11:58 a.m.

It looks like a variation on what are called "duck" boats. But there aren't enough wheels. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/3/20 12:01 p.m.
Mndsm said:

This. I cannot think of a single reason why anyone doesn't need this

BoxheadTim said:

Well, given that you're in the Netherlands I'd just like to point out that a fairly large portion of the country is below sea level.

You know, just in case that helps with the decision. 

Good thinking. Buy it for safety. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
6/3/20 12:06 p.m.

There was a collector at the end of the Tram tracks in Amsterdam  that had  a "duck"  and a couple very rare WW2 Ford "ducks"

I think the canals are one of the coolest things in Holland , but I do not know what the rules are , this thing may not even be legal.......

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/3/20 12:31 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

I think the canals are one of the coolest things in Holland , but I do not know what the rules are , this thing may not even be legal.......

He can figure that out after he inevitably buys it.

Without even knowing what the content of this post was, I came here to say "Yes you do... yes you do... yes you do..."

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
6/3/20 1:35 p.m.

Front-engine, rear-drive, hah.

Wait... only two wheels? What's the point of that..  oh, wait, I wonder if that's a tow ball hitch at the front end.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Reader
6/3/20 2:00 p.m.
kb58 said:

Front-engine, rear-drive, hah.

Wait... only two wheels? What's the point of that..  oh, wait, I wonder if that's a tow ball hitch at the front end.

I believe this explains that

http://www.primeportal.net/naval/carrey/bmk-130m/ 

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/3/20 2:03 p.m.

so it doesnt need its own trailer? neat

Don49 (Forum Supporter)
Don49 (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/3/20 2:06 p.m.

In for the build thread!

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/3/20 3:24 p.m.

Is it challenge legal?

JBinMD
JBinMD New Reader
6/4/20 12:13 a.m.

Needs a drop and a lip, and maybe a park bench wing on the back.  Oh yeah, and boost, lots of it.  

tedroach
tedroach Reader
6/4/20 4:27 a.m.

No build thread coming on this one. I believe it is completely legal in the canals here but there is just not a lot you can do with the boat. The large diesel engine is a turn off also. But it is still really cool to look at and have a discussion.

Thanks for entertaining me for a day. 

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
6/4/20 5:47 a.m.

The midship mounted, exposed, 2stroke, diesel engine is kinda weird, no? Should be really loud and have weird weight balance. Wonder how quick they are?

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/4/20 8:37 a.m.

In case it wasn't already mentioned - these are used for army bridging operations (i.e. floating pontoon bridges to let military vehicles cross rivers). The boats are towed along and then go into the water and sit on the downstream side of the pontoon bridge to push against the river's flow and hold the pontoon sections in position (hence the big bumper in front and  shrouded prop). 

So, speed and seakeeping are probably both quite awful compared to a "regular" boat lol...

Понтонно-мостовой парк ПМП (англ.версия) -pmp-enlish.html

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FypITEiCvKogN2O3jvqtggDg7dl2OkfUmDh6JEROMmhhz98BJ4F9pR4fO8H56MNc