1 2
jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/19/21 10:53 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

...   and that savings can go a long way toward chiropractic services.

and a yoga class to make getting in and out of the thing a bit easier.   ;-)

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
4/20/21 8:28 a.m.
maisgelb said:

In reply to Jerry :

To clarify about the seats... I'm currently in the process of adding padding to make them more tolerable. There was some additional padding when you/Jerry drove the car but they certainly aren't finished. They need quite a bit of work before I'd take a long road trip.

I think you've nailed most of the pros and cons. Just like a go-kart, you won't want to drive it every day but it provides a special experience when you do. I did use it to commute into Dayton (25 minutes one way) occasionally pre-covid, but rarely more than 3-4 times per month. I've also used it to run errands and such but there are a lot of reasons not to. If it means a lot of short trips and getting in and out, then no. If there's an ATM or drive-through, then no. Anything short of a warm sunny day, then probably not.

As a reference point, I had an S2000 that I used as my daily for 2 years. No real complaints and I enjoyed the S2000 but it never felt special.

Buy an Elise because you want something engaging to drive and are willing to make compromises to get a special experience. Good luck with your decision Jerry!

- Karl

Thank you again for the experience, good sir!  I really appreciated someone letting me try out their baby.

The problem is, the car doesn't work for what I am looking for at the moment.  For something to have fun drives?  Maybe some autocross? Enjoy as a special treat Hell yes.

But what I'm looking for is something I can daily to work 3-4 days/week, 1/2hr drive each way.  Weekend duty to various chores and whatever.  This doesn't work.  I was REALLY hoping it would.  If I could afford an Elise for the fun weekend drives, and something else for normal duties like another MR2 I would.  But it looks like I need to keep looking.

Something something "never meet your heroes".

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/20/21 8:47 a.m.

That is an AMAZING color!

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/20/21 8:52 a.m.

In reply to Jerry :

I sold my Elise for the reasons you indicated.  It was terrific at ONE thing -- driving on a race track or at an autocross.  But it really wasn't useful for any other thing.  My M3 was much better all around.  And honestly, I didn't give up any "fun".  Maybe some outright time at an autocross.  But that's about it. 

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
4/20/21 11:54 a.m.

I've lived this story before!

I came very close to buying a Lotus Europa Twin Cam back when my back would still allow me to get into one (I am big and they are small), but the getting out finally convinced me to walk away. On a dry day, having to basically crawl out of the car in front of bystanders was not a good thought and on wet days (which we have frequently here)  decanting oneself into a puddle at the feet of strangers quickly lost its charm.

But like the Elise, it was such a sweet sports car that I still have pangs of regret.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/20/21 12:21 p.m.

This is a case where size does matter.   My buddy loves his.  He is 5'6" and 140 lbs.

Not a problem.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin SuperDork
4/20/21 1:22 p.m.

After wedging myself into an Exige, I can see the dilemma.  If I had the money, I'd have one trailered to the track of my choice and buy the longest stint possible so I didn't have to get out of it.

There are too many other fun street cars that are more comfortable, and I feel like if you aren't sure you love it now, that's probably a good sign to test drive a few alternatives.

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
4/20/21 1:25 p.m.

In reply to Jerry :

Perhaps an early NA Evora? Those are starting to overlap on the low end with Elise pricing.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
4/20/21 1:30 p.m.

In reply to Jerry :

I still think a Golf R would be a good candidate, other than it not looking too exotic.  After seeing the Jeep with the porthole window and the "free kisses" sign maybe you should get one of those for Chewie.

80sFast
80sFast Reader
4/20/21 3:10 p.m.

soooo....

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
4/20/21 7:11 p.m.

Oh yeah, I'm guessing this came up in your old thread, but what about the Porsche Cayman?

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
4/20/21 8:41 p.m.
jharry3 said:

This is a case where size does matter.   My buddy loves his.  He is 5'6" and 140 lbs.

Not a problem.

Ya they fit me perfectly 5'6" 135 lbs. I've wanted one since they first started arriving in the USA.  Since then I've always had too many other cars already, perhaps one day.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8xQcuIdprn8wyxFz1SRe3UpJ5UBhZCbdiUvuWQZNQgbqYaPn3NHIHMngUMW3uSA8