Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/26/18 9:15 p.m.

I was wondering what scan tool I needed to actuate the ABS system on my C6 Z06 and after searching around I found that there are few options for this with the one primary being the Tec 2, which apparently is what GM uses at the dealer perform this procedure. It really annoys me that there are these required procedures that can only be done using a tool that retails for $1500. Then it got late and I started finding clones of these things all over the place and then I found a guy on eBay selling knock offs of dozens of different systems. He doesn’t even try to hide it either, says right in the listings that the Tec 2 won’t work for certain programming functions unless you get a pirated code or buy legit access to GM’s site.

I actually contemplated whether the clone Tec 2 was worth buying, but it seems pretty sketchy. Then I found these guys https://www.autoenginuity.com/ that seem to make a legit tool for around the same money, so I figure I’d probably be better off trying that out.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/26/18 9:51 p.m.

Roll on tarIffs. Hard to believe that the entire Chinese industrial effort is predicated on stealing or shamelessly copying other people's technology and selling it back to us. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
11/26/18 9:56 p.m.

The knockoff tech2’s aren’t upgradable or fixable when broken.

If you’re really dead set in a tech2, you can buy a real version from carquest on payments or one of the variety of all in one variations that cover other manufacturers.

Harvey
11/26/18 10:51 p.m.

I’m not really dead set on anything. It would be nice if you could buy software to do this without all the wacky hardware.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
11/26/18 11:49 p.m.

I have had a knockoff tech 2 for a couple of years now  and it works great.  I think I paid just under $200 for it.

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/27/18 5:43 a.m.

Nice find. It’s been a while since I visited their site. Still not easy to figure out the right tools but getting easier. 

Harvey
11/27/18 7:08 a.m.
Cotton said:

I have had a knockoff tech 2 for a couple of years now  and it works great.  I think I paid just under $200 for it.

For that money I might give it a try. The guys I found want $400 for the things. Did yours come with all the cables etc?

When I started searching again just now I found another device called VXDIAG VCX Nano GDS2 which is apparently a USB/Wireless adapter that connects to the car and interfaces with a Tech2Win software on a laptop. It’s essentially all the functionality of a Tech2 emulated in software for $129 (still a knock off of the original). I guess when CPUs got to a certain point it was easier to emulate this than keep making the full box with embedded software in it.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
11/27/18 8:38 a.m.
Harvey said:
Cotton said:

For that money I might give it a try. The guys I found want $400 for the things. Did yours come with all the cables etc?

When I started searching again just now I found another device called VXDIAG VCX Nano GDS2 which is apparently a USB/Wireless adapter that connects to the car and interfaces with a Tech2Win software on a laptop. It’s essentially all the functionality of a Tech2 emulated in software for $129 (still a knock off of the original). I guess when CPUs got to a certain point it was easier to emulate this than keep making the full box with embedded software in it.

Yes it came with all the cables.  It even came with the multiplexer,  which is needed for some things like my 2013 diesel k3500.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
11/27/18 9:52 a.m.

Harvey - where are you located?  I have a cloned tech2 that I just used for this purpose and am happy to help you do the same if you’d want to come by.  I’m in Los Angeles near lax. 

You’ll also need to pressurize the brake system to 30psi (at least I read somewhere it is 30 psi).  A motive pressure bleeder is what I used.  

bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
11/27/18 10:01 a.m.
bearmtnmartin said:

Roll on tarIffs. Hard to believe that the entire Chinese industrial effort is predicated on stealing or shamelessly copying other people's technology and selling it back to us. 

That's pretty much the entire industrial effort since the beginning of time.  Why put in the time and effort to discover something new when someone else has already done the legwork?  Cotton gin anyone?

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
11/27/18 12:12 p.m.

I had the clone of the Mercedes STAR, worked great, sold it when I sold my E55.  Also have a clone of Techstream for Toyota now, also works great.  

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
11/27/18 1:38 p.m.
93gsxturbo said:

I had the clone of the Mercedes STAR, worked great, sold it when I sold my E55.  Also have a clone of Techstream for Toyota now, also works great.  

I have the cloned Star as well.  It’s been a lifesaver when dealing with my modern Benzes.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/27/18 2:25 p.m.

I've been using the AutoEnginuity stuff for almost 20 years and I'm pretty happy with it.  I've used it mostly on Ford stuff.  I'll be upgrading and adding the RAM package soon.  If they covered Volvo I'd do that as well.

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
11/27/18 2:36 p.m.

Part of the point of OBDII was to have a standardized way of alarming/diagnosing issues detected by the engine's control systems. All of the manufacturers have gone to proprietary schemes to lock their customers into their dealership network and monetize "right to repair." This is one category where I have no issue with IP theft. Manufacturers have gone out of their way to make life more difficult for customers and unaligned service providers. IMO diagnostic interfaces should be simple and their specs publicly available. The software/hardware running the car should be proprietary if the manufacturer chooses and protected.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
11/27/18 4:44 p.m.
Snrub said:

Part of the point of OBDII was to have a standardized way of alarming/diagnosing issues detected by the engine's control systems. All of the manufacturers have gone to proprietary schemes to lock their customers into their dealership network and monetize "right to repair." This is one category where I have no issue with IP theft. Manufacturers have gone out of their way to make life more difficult for customers and unaligned service providers. IMO diagnostic interfaces should be simple and their specs publicly available. The software/hardware running the car should be proprietary if the manufacturer chooses and protected.

But all the information IS available.  All you have to do is pay for it, exactly the same way the dealership has to. 

Harvey
11/27/18 7:37 p.m.
jfryjfry said:

Harvey - where are you located?  I have a cloned tech2 that I just used for this purpose and am happy to help you do the same if you’d want to come by.  I’m in Los Angeles near lax. 

You’ll also need to pressurize the brake system to 30psi (at least I read somewhere it is 30 psi).  A motive pressure bleeder is what I used.  

Thanks for the offer jfryjfry, I’m a little out of the way up here in CT. My needs are not pressing at the moment so thankfully I can shop around and see what’s up.

The package that does all the tech 2 stuff in software emulation seems like the best deal overall if I need to get one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074365Q6H/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

As much as l like the look of the autoengenuity stuff between the hardware and addon that’s required to do things like activate the abs that’s still around $500

Stanger2000
Stanger2000 Reader
11/28/18 9:21 a.m.

I've gone down this hole not long ago with my VW that had an annoying airbag light.  I paid VW to check it and they advised it was simply the pass side airbag light indicator on the dash.  I changed it out, airbag light still on.  Rather than going back to them and paying another 125 out of pocket, I opted to try out a 15.00 VW specific OBD II reader that also does SRS.  Was very skeptical at first, but it actually worked and no more airbag light (going on for over a year now).  I already have an OBD II reader/scanner that works on this car but SRS/Airbag is a totally different animal.  

Now what really pisses me off is that after simply changing the battery on this car, it reset my radio code and I lost the AUX function to the radio.  Solution, take it to VW to have them enable the AUX function (pay another buck and a qtr. to their service dept).  So something so mundane such as replacing the battery in your car might warrant a trip to the dealer's service department.  Truly ridiculous

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Jz1AnT5eNI57xlyRslLUwuGPLANapati3WuwSFWshtfhRZJxrfxL6sh2kYdexbOs