Capt Slow
Capt Slow Reader
8/3/09 1:50 p.m.

It took some time but the miata collective finally won out. I just picked up my first miata. After some basic maintanece I a ready to track this beast!

I cant belive how quickly I fell in love with the little bugger...

Does this mean I can hang with the cool kids now?

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
8/3/09 1:57 p.m.

Resistance is futile.............

griffin729
griffin729 Reader
8/3/09 2:02 p.m.

I want to hang with the cool kids. Oh, wait I could have a '99 NB was parked right next to the car I did buy for the same price. I figured the Subaru would be better in the Michigan winter. I still want to hang with the cool kids though. Nice car.

splitime
splitime New Reader
8/3/09 2:59 p.m.

Welcome to the cool kids club.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/3/09 3:30 p.m.

Get your rollbar from Bethany Garage.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Production Editor
8/3/09 3:38 p.m.

Nice car, looks clean.

Soon we'll be able to start taking over the world, but for now the really cool kids will be meeting up to hang out at the Flyin' Miata summer camp this weekend. There's still time to make the trip.

Too bad I have to leave my Miata at home.

Wowak
Wowak Dork
8/3/09 3:40 p.m.
Capt Slow wrote: I cant belive how quickly I fell in love with the little bugger...

Kara's Miata did that to me in one trip around the block. Within 6 months I had one of my own.

TJ
TJ HalfDork
8/3/09 3:46 p.m.

When I saw the thread title I said to myself, "somebody bought a Miata"....I was just extoling the virtues of Miatae today with a co-worker as I drove him to a meeting - I didn't tell him about hanging with the cool kids.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/3/09 4:58 p.m.

Man, I'm jealous I just rented an 09 miata for the weekend and I dropped it off this morning. I'm suffering withdrawals and if I had the money I'd buy one today. Keep us up to date with how it goes so we can live vicariously through you.

GregTivo
GregTivo Reader
8/3/09 5:43 p.m.
fiat22turbo wrote: Man, I'm jealous I just rented an 09 miata for the weekend and I dropped it off this morning. I'm suffering withdrawals and if I had the money I'd buy one today. Keep us up to date with how it goes so we can live vicariously through you.

got any clunkers to trade in?

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Reader
8/3/09 6:09 p.m.

LOL my first taste of a miata was a rental too. I like this one better.

As with any 176k mile new car she does have a couple of dings and scrapes, and peeling clearcoat though she does photograph pretty well.

Honestly having a patina to me that is part of the appeal of having a sports car. As I learned when I bought my mazdaspeed6, having a new new car is stressfull, you don't want to track it because your worried about breaking or crashing it, every dent and ding gives you a gray hair, and it depreciates like mad. With an old car you don't have the same worries about it and it ends up adding to the enjoyment of the vehicle.

Of couse I do have a list of preventive maintence and fixes to do before I subject her to too much abuse. Top of my list is fixing the temperature sensor on the dash. It works intermitently.

Xceler8x any particular reason you reccomend Bethany Garage?

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/3/09 6:20 p.m.

Bethania Garage is the company that makes the Hard Dog bars. You've probably heard of them under that name. BTW, if anyone's in NC, stop by Bethania sometime and say hi. Super friendly people.

Tom, you might not be driving your Miata at the Summer Camp, but I think you might still enjoy what you'll be driving...

Capt. Slow, that sensor is on the back of the head. It's by the coolant outlet, a single spade connector on it. And you're definitely one of the cool kids now.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/3/09 6:21 p.m.

Heh, nope no clunkers as my Shelby is not going to be crushed and the Porsche doesn't meet the standards. Sigh, I also don't have a job so a car payment is not a good idea.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
8/3/09 6:45 p.m.

Hey! Congrats! About time! What year is the car?

I've been waiting for you to get one so that you can come give me hell at Thunderhill and Infineon. Although, there's a chance I might be driving a 944 by that time.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Reader
8/3/09 7:12 p.m.

Its a 1996 and it has the torsen in it.

Wether or not to get a car with the torsen was a tough desicion for me. On one hand if I got an open diff I could run in the STS class at SCCA events (and beat up on typeQ) on the other hand I wanted to try to a drift event or two and for general hoonage a real diff is more fun, not to mention I am in a pretty good codriving situation for my SCCA fix...

So I am pretty content with the descision I made.

a 944! cool car, I have always had a soft spot for one, my dad had one when I was growing up. Fun car, maintence was not so fun. I rember being recruted to help change the thermostat several times. That wasnt a fun job.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Reader
8/3/09 7:19 p.m.
Keith wrote: Bethania Garage is the company that makes the Hard Dog bars.

+eleventy billion on Hard Dog bars. Always the first mod on any Miata.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V7hbBg18DeZ8JIFwfPUrmnGw6JDzLsySRLddXnogOriWhH8NqrWqBVPYo2dzXfWT