1 2 3
RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
6/18/12 11:00 p.m.

Looks like someone got a video of a deer (he says it was the one you clobbered) scurrying off a different part of the track just before Vaughn Gittin's Mustang demonstration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x054zzI2DRY

Glad to hear you are OK. On the bright side, you are now an Internet sensation, and you didn't even have to "leak" a sex tape!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/19/12 7:26 a.m.
irish 44 j wrote:
dean1484 wrote: Deer whistles were standard equipment on our cars when we ran summit point. And as you can see it is for a very good reason. I remember a Miata that hit one and the deer went clear through the windshield. It was a bit ugly. I seem to remember that the continued on after removing the windshield and the back window. I remember some one contemplating welding in bars across the inside of the windshield as protection. I don't think that ever happened. Glad you are ok that could have been very bad for your health. Cars can be fixed / replaced Getting all the glass out of the interior is going to be a serious PITA (second only to getting it out of your face). You may be better off tossing the carpet and replacing it (if it is in the car). You will be finding shards of glass in that car for years to come.
lol, see my post above. It was a turkey, and it was riding shotgun in the car for 2 laps since his team-mate was in the pits at the time. In 100 degree heat. Yum.

I was pitted about 10 pits up from you. I thought it was a deer that did that. Oh Well it has been a long time. I just remember it being messy as the photo shows.

Pete240Z
Pete240Z UltraDork
6/19/12 8:02 a.m.
vwcorvette wrote: What's the likelihood of them installing a tall fence in the areas around the track most prone to deer hits?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/champ/2006-08-03-da-matta_x.htm

Back in 1996 Indy car guy hit a deer at Road America. They stated they had 8' fence with barb wire on top around the perimeter. This is wild stuff.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/19/12 8:17 a.m.

Totally off topic here, but I am dying to know what it says on your steering wheel. It looks like a note taped there to remind you of something, or perhaps a shopping list? I am sure that's not the case but I am curious because...well I'm odd that way I guess.

Lesley
Lesley UberDork
6/19/12 8:42 a.m.

Holy crap! Glad you're okay!

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/19/12 9:43 a.m.

I saw this car afterwards at Hyperfest.. It was a mess! Glad that you are ok. Looked horrendous from the video...

Hal
Hal Dork
6/19/12 12:15 p.m.
RexSeven wrote: Looks like someone got a video of a deer (he says it was the one you clobbered) scurrying off a different part of the track just before Vaughn Gittin's Mustang demonstration.

Yep, probably was. That deer was running across the Jefferson Circuit (where the Mustang was) headed directly for the Main Circuit between turns 2 & 3. It probably got across the track there OK and went thru the infield and came out on the main straight where it got hit.

Most of the time they cross the Main Circuit in the chute between 3&4 or coming up the hil after turn 9. In both cases they are either trying to get into or out of the woods inside the track.

PHeller
PHeller SuperDork
6/19/12 12:35 p.m.
Porridgehead from VWVortex wrote: I have a friend who was driving a Lotus 7 at VIR when the car in front of him spun and went off. My buddy braked hard so when the groundhog that the car in front knocked into the air landed in the cockpit next to him, it was only stunned. Not dead. My buddy looked at what appeared to be a very large and quite dead woodchuck with a mixture of shock and relief. That shock and relief turned quickly to terror and panic as the injured and quite pissed off groundhog regained consciousness and started to flail about in the footwell of the Lotus. My friend said he drove car off and was himself flailing and screaming so much getting out of the car, itself no mean feat given the size of a Lotus 7, that the cornerworker thought he was on fire and sprayed him with the extinguisher. Sadly, no video of the event, at least any that he's willing to admit to.
mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
6/19/12 12:44 p.m.
PHeller wrote:
Porridgehead from VWVortex wrote: I have a friend who was driving a Lotus 7 at VIR when the car in front of him spun and went off. My buddy braked hard so when the groundhog that the car in front knocked into the air landed in the cockpit next to him, it was only stunned. Not dead. My buddy looked at what appeared to be a very large and quite dead woodchuck with a mixture of shock and relief. That shock and relief turned quickly to terror and panic as the injured and quite pissed off groundhog regained consciousness and started to flail about in the footwell of the Lotus. My friend said he drove car off and was himself flailing and screaming so much getting out of the car, itself no mean feat given the size of a Lotus 7, that the cornerworker thought he was on fire and sprayed him with the extinguisher. Sadly, no video of the event, at least any that he's willing to admit to.

Oh god, I would pay dearly to have seen that.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
6/19/12 12:51 p.m.

That is no Mountain Lion, but I bet Ricky Bobby would approve.

pstrbrc
pstrbrc New Reader
6/19/12 1:45 p.m.

I have to admit, nailing an already air-borne deer at high speeds is something one doesn't forget soon. Mine impacted higher, missing the hood completely, but the upper windshield pinch weld took much of the impact. Was in the only car in the stable without deer whistles. Have killed or maimed 5 of them, and always in the only car at the time without the whistles. No incidents in any car with whistles. My take? They are like "smoking causes cancer!" No, it doesn't. It just increases the odds you will develop the bad stuff. Deer whistles aren't 100%, but, living in the state where you're most likely to hit a deer, I'd say it seems to make the odds better. That, and I've started wearing bi-focal safety glasses when I drive. Even though he didn't come through, the glass was a PITeyes.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
6/19/12 3:43 p.m.

Suicidal deer. That thing wanted to die.

Lesley
Lesley UberDork
6/19/12 3:55 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
PHeller wrote:

Seriously? That's priceless!

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
6/19/12 4:07 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
PHeller wrote:

All my Corner Worker buddies seem to have animal strike stories, but the only one I have is the NASCAR thing. And if you didn't work the incident..it's someone else's story.

I feel so left out.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
6/19/12 5:18 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: All my Corner Worker buddies seem to have animal strike stories, but the only one I have is the NASCAR thing. And if you didn't work the incident..it's someone else's story. I feel so left out.

Animal rape is not what they mean by "hitting a deer"

greenwoodjw
greenwoodjw GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/19/12 7:46 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Totally off topic here, but I am dying to know what it says on your steering wheel. It looks like a note taped there to remind you of something, or perhaps a shopping list? I am sure that's not the case but I am curious because...well I'm odd that way I guess.

The list starts out with a standard "on grid" check list; stuff like check fuel level, set traction control, turn on camera, and so on, dumb stuff I might forget. I'll also make some notes reminding me of the things I want to work on while on course. Funnily enough, this weekend I was focusing on shortening the brake zone in Turn 1. It also didn't remind me to flip my visor down after setting the camera.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
6/19/12 7:58 p.m.

Like this?

Center console, down there with all the ignition/fuel pump/etc switches: "Before you start this car remember the prize money is 0".

Obscured by the shift knob in that pic, but visible in one of the others on the ad.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
6/20/12 3:07 a.m.
Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam UltraDork
6/20/12 11:46 a.m.

Your video is on Autoblog. You're a celebrity, as far as I'm concerned. Too bad it was for something that seriously messed up your car.

And that thing about the Lotus 7 and the groundhog made me LOLZ.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/20/12 7:01 p.m.

Also on Corvetteblogger.com.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/20/12 8:13 p.m.

I saw it on Jalopnik, as well - glad you're OK!

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 Reader
6/20/12 10:08 p.m.

You're famous. Time to get the DrrHuntr license plates

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UFcVNuMdHsawW0x7uQId7pqBBZzg81fuieR9PJuYAnUs0cmFjC6VN7tubfODNCHt