psychic_mechanic
psychic_mechanic Dork
2/13/23 8:29 a.m.

The vehicle is a 2006 XC90 with 158k on it and there are no keys. I am a tech for America's #1 motor vehicle company (as long as you are grading by number of recalls per vehicle) so I am familiar with security keys and systems in newer cars. I'm going to call a locksmith later this week but was just wondering if anyone here knows any shortcuts or can show me where to get a key profile by VIN.

The few youtube videos I looked up showed removing a security module and soldering jumper wires to it to program keys so I'm a bit worried. I do have a CK-100 programmer I've used for dodge keys before and some kind of autel scanner with some key programming functions.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
2/13/23 8:44 a.m.

My V50 only came with one key, so I did a little digging when I bought it. I am not willing to go the soldering route, which means paying. Even an additional key seems to be ~$400 by the time all is said and done; in your situation I expect probably a few hundred more. Sadly, I didn't find anything suggesting an alternate procedure, either using VIDA or a higher-end generic scan tool. It's apparently quite a secure anti-theft arrangement, which is great except when you need a key.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
2/13/23 4:40 p.m.

Its worth some searching on MHH Auto or talking to a local locksmith.  Because you need both the key and the coding it may be worth it to just pay the man.  If you had a physical key to copy then its fun to fiddle with the programming.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/13/23 5:41 p.m.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265781451204

Kill two birds with one stone: You get matched key/cylinders/immobilizer, and there is no chance that someone else has the missing key and can just take off with the vehicle.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/13/23 6:01 p.m.

Just take it to the dealer and pony up the dough.  If you swap keys, and don't know the VIN of the donor, when the ignition lock breaks you won't be able to order the new lock keyed properly.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
3/4/23 10:44 a.m.

Are these good vehicles? My sister is looking at 2007-09 XC90s and I'm not very sure whether or not to recommend them!

Pete. (l33t FS)
3/4/23 4:27 p.m.

In reply to classicJackets (FS) :

Avoid the six, the eight, and anything without a stack of maintenance records unless it is really cheap.  And even then, the buy in is cheap because you will be spending the money you saved on remedial maintenance.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
3/4/23 4:42 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to classicJackets (FS) :

Avoid the six, the eight, and anything without a stack of maintenance records unless it is really cheap.  And even then, the buy in is cheap because you will be spending the money you saved on remedial maintenance.

Wait... I thought they only came with the 6 and the 8... Ohhhhhhh I see what you did there.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
3/4/23 5:09 p.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke :

They could be had with the 5-cylinder as well, I think for the first few years of production.

Pete. (l33t FS)
3/4/23 5:23 p.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke :

I honestly thought you could get the 2.5t in the XC90.  I guess that is XC70 only?

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
3/4/23 5:53 p.m.

When my wife lost all of her car keys, I opened Facebook called the first number. A guy and his kid showed up armed with my VIN.  It worked first try, $125. That got me a key that started the car, no fob.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/4/23 8:36 p.m.

Yes, the best one in the early ones is the turbo 5.  The six has a hydramatic, and is way too packed in.  I've owned one for 10 years and ywo transmission replacements.

Pete. (l33t FS)
3/4/23 8:42 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

The six I was thinking of was the 3.2, which only came attached to the awesome Aisin TF80.

The reason I don't like it is, like Project Binky, the accessories are mounted over the transmission. Except for the alternator, which is mounted under the intake manifold.  All are driven by the bellhousing side timing chain, the alternator directly and the power steering and A/C compressor by a belt, that requires removing both of those accessories to change.  The front of the engine is flat: no harmonic damper, nothing.

Every one I have seen was making awful noises like the bearings in the accessory driveshaft had packed it in, looks like Major Disassembly is required to deal with that, engine out job.

Granted, Volvo did a phenomenal job of fitting a moderate displacement inline six in a chassis designed to barely fit an inline five, but, also like Binky, some radical and ultimately questionable design decisions were made to get there.

I am also prejudiced against timing chains, especially when the five has the easiest and simplest timing belt service this side of an older watercooled VW.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/4/23 10:12 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I've dealt with a couple of the gear case issues, and both were purely due to lack of maintenance.  It is a bit of a dumb design, but Volvo always suffers from this weird penis envy thing that leads them to goofy PVR v6 engines, a B234 twincam engine that was way less reliable and insignificant faster than a B230, but twin cams are fashionable, and a weird gear case so they could stuff a six where a five belongs, because BMWs have six cylinders...

I wish they'd stick to sturdy, boring quiet, comfortable wagons.

Pete. (l33t FS)
3/4/23 10:51 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I've dealt with a couple of the gear case issues, and both were purely due to lack of maintenance. 

It's in an SUV.  People who don't care about what they drive as long as it still moves under its own power drive SUVs.  Deferred maintenance is to be expected.  Also, for some damn reason, random socks in the interior.

There's probably a good reason why the vast majority of K24 timing chains I have had to replace were in CR-Vs even though the majority of Accords I see are K24-powered... the ones that aren't L15 powered, anyway.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IrN1euyKmSbT21dSX8htGyQltdq92o2RsCJKLbO6VijiL4ApZWlYh77uFlcOvTY6