1 2 3 ... 5
Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/5/18 9:19 a.m.

Apparently my 2004 Lincoln Navigator will just not fit a front hitch. I guess there are enough differences between it and the 2004 Expedition that it won't work. This is what the guy from Curt was telling me.

I really am tired of snowblowing the driveway.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
1/5/18 9:23 a.m.

I bought a tractor with a bucket and a scrapper blade. Still yet to be seen if i made the right decision.

Harvey
1/5/18 9:26 a.m.

The tractor thing seems pretty tedious unless it's an actual tractor. My neighbor used to plow the driveway with his John Deere lawn tractor, but he has been laid up with some physical ailments of late. That wouldn't push more than maybe 8 inches of snow at most, probably not more than six.

I keep thinking about getting a cheap half ton to plow with, but it seems like a waste of driveway space.

NickD
NickD UltraDork
1/5/18 9:29 a.m.

Not the only truck you can't put a plow on. If you put a plow on a '17+ Duramax and then drive over 45mph, it will throw a P106A Charge Air Cooler Efficiency - Low. Continuing to drive above that speed will blow the engine up. And GM has said that there is no fix for it, just deal with it. Customers are livid that their new $75k truck can't do what their old truck could do or what the other diesel trucks can do.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
1/5/18 9:42 a.m.

Plow blades make great air deflectors.    Changing the travel height might help.

ain't diesels great?

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
1/5/18 9:51 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

I can understand the thing whining about hot charge temps and being down on power, but if it actually damages the engine, something is seriously wrong with GM's tuning.  

RossD
RossD MegaDork
1/5/18 10:01 a.m.

In reply to Harvey :

That was before I used the back blade and was just using the bucket. Our entire driveway is gravel. With only a hydraulic lift ram and just a relief to lower it, the bucket ends up floating a bit on the snow. The blade/grader helps with that but floats too, just not as much. $3500  for the tractor and some implements, and it was even delivered.

How much for the Curt plow setup?

NickD
NickD UltraDork
1/5/18 10:04 a.m.

In reply to rslifkin :

Charge air cooler is right behind the grille. A plow, any plow, be it V or straight, diverts way too much air. We had the first one start doing it last year and GM just kept saying "It's under investigation." Guy was in every week to have the CEL cleared so he could remote start the truck. Got talking to one engineer, told him how long it'd been ongoing and he went "Oh wow, he's lucky, we've had guys popping engines with this issue" because the charge air cooler isn't working and they start running hot and predetonating. Fast forward to this year and GM says it is no longer under investigation and to read the owner's manual for the line that simply states "Do not operate above 45mph with plow installed." We have customers unloading them to get '16-earlier trucks or jumping to Powerstrokes and Cummins.

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
1/5/18 10:11 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

On a diesel a hot charge shouldn't blow an engine unless the ECU is really dumb and doesn't back the fuel off when charge temps go up.  By that logic, If you get behind a semi truck or other large vehicle that'll block some airflow while pulling a big trailer up a hill in hot weather it'll pop an engine.  Plus, the cooling fan should help force air through the charge cooler.  And if the fans are electric or use an electric clutch, they could easily crank the fan to 11 if the charge temps get too high.  

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/5/18 10:12 a.m.
Harvey said:

I always thought that these things were ridiculous, but I installed one yesterday and it is awesome. Even when the wind is at your back it helps because it can't blow through.

NickD
NickD UltraDork
1/5/18 10:16 a.m.

In reply to rslifkin :

I don't know. Not really a diesel guy. Must be the ECU is really dumb, because it happens. They even released an addendum warning that serious engine damage could occur. It doesn't help that modern diesels are cranked to the moon on power (960lb-ft of torque for the Ram, enough towing capacity that to fully utilize it on most trucks you actually have to have a CDL) so maybe they are running on the ragged edge? I don't know. 

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
1/5/18 10:55 a.m.

In reply to Harvey :

It could be the bumper clearance that's the issue. 

Or, like I discovered when looking for a plow for my '97 Expedition, the second generation SUVs, while utilizing the same frame configuration as the F150, don't have the front axle rating to support a plow. Fortunately, mine, being a first gen, has the heavier rating. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/5/18 11:23 a.m.
Woody said:
Harvey said:

I always thought that these things were ridiculous, but I installed one yesterday and it is awesome. Even when the wind is at your back it helps because it can't blow through.

If I ever, EVER choose to live somewhere that requires that, I will have to be paid well enough that I can pay someone ELSE to do that. Because no.

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
1/5/18 11:39 a.m.

When you live somewhere that this is necessary, you usually can't wait to get out and move some snow.  If you don't get out and play in that stuff the walls can come in on you and make you crazier.  Once we get some positive temps around here, I'm taking the kids sledding.

That blows about the GM diesel, you may need to get creative but a plow should be able to attach to a Lincoln.

Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
1/5/18 11:51 a.m.

I have the same basic set up as RossD except with an International 434 diesel that hates to start when it's cold. It's British so I guess I should just accept it but instead I retrofitting it with modern Bosch 12v pencil style glow plugs to replace the original 1v loop type. -22c here today so I'll see if it helped.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/5/18 12:46 p.m.

Sounds like you need a panel in the plow blade that could be opened or closed by whatever power source raises and lowers the plow. Bonus points if you tie it to the vehicle speed sensor to open above 45mph. I mean for the diesel issue. Not sure what to tell you about the 'Gator.

NickD
NickD UltraDork
1/5/18 1:01 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

Or make a giant snorkel that is the size of the entire grille and feeds over the plow.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
1/5/18 1:11 p.m.
Harvey said:

The tractor thing seems pretty tedious unless it's an actual tractor. My neighbor used to plow the driveway with his John Deere lawn tractor, but he has been laid up with some physical ailments of late. That wouldn't push more than maybe 8 inches of snow at most, probably not more than six.

I keep thinking about getting a cheap half ton to plow with, but it seems like a waste of driveway space.

used to have a John Deer lawn tractor (one of the bigger V twin hydrostatic) that had a front mount snowblower.  That always got the job done, even in 3+ feet.

Blades, yeah, I doubt they have worth over a few inches at a time removal.  Its all gotta go somewhere and at least with a blower, its up and away instead of adding to a load you are trying to push somewhere. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/5/18 1:29 p.m.

I put a 73-87 chevy plow on a 90.  You can make anything fit with enough welding rod

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/5/18 1:34 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

I live here, can afford to have someone else to do it, but do it for fun...  Yes, I'm odd

Harvey
1/5/18 1:51 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

You have good ideas. I want to subscribe to your newsletter.

Your driveway + parking area is about as large as mine, but the problem is mine is partly on a hill. That's where most of the work comes in. I also share part of my driveway with the neighbor and his part is all uneven gravel. I try to help out with that too.

I really just want a utility plow to fit on my truck. I can't believe I lucked into the one version of this truck that doesn't have a front hitch you can mount on it. Literally every other version of this has a hitch. The Expedition of this year, the F150, even the Lincoln Mark LT (aka Lincoln F150) has an available hitch and later Navigator years have one too! The Curt people apparently never made one for this particular year due to low demand. I guess the configuration doesn't match any of the other trucks.

boaty mcfailface
boaty mcfailface UberDork
1/5/18 2:07 p.m.
Harvey said:

With my small lawn tractor at our previous home, I had to get out there at 4 inches or less, and keep up with the snow if it was still falling. Still a hell of a lot better than shoveling by hand with a huge driveway. 

Harvey
1/5/18 2:16 p.m.
Apexcarver said:
Harvey said:

used to have a John Deer lawn tractor (one of the bigger V twin hydrostatic) that had a front mount snowblower.  That always got the job done, even in 3+ feet.

Blades, yeah, I doubt they have worth over a few inches at a time removal.  Its all gotta go somewhere and at least with a blower, its up and away instead of adding to a load you are trying to push somewhere. 

The lawn tractor + front mount snowblower I could justify.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
1/5/18 2:28 p.m.
Harvey said:

In reply to Woody :

I really just want a utility plow to fit on my truck. I can't believe I lucked into the one version of this truck that doesn't have a front hitch you can mount on it. Literally every other version of this has a hitch. The Expedition of this year, the F150, even the Lincoln Mark LT (aka Lincoln F150) has an available hitch and later Navigator years have one too! The Curt people apparently never made one for this particular year due to low demand. I guess the configuration doesn't match any of the other trucks.

As alluded above, I wonder if the issue is just a bumper styling clearance issue.  like...if you yanked the bumper would it bolt to the frame?  Assuming it will physically bolt to the frame, you could either go no bumper while the plow is mounted...or if it just needs a little trimming is this a "nice" truck?  ...or something you could cut a clearance notch on the bumper? etc.  

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
1/5/18 2:35 p.m.

And if you do get a front hitch on there, screw the plow, stick a nice, big snow blower on the front of it devil

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
htzz879pbZG3Cwf1wtiCXgUFX9i16G2B8mVUUuQ46l2YJZJlgtcamyp09YCgp5it