1 2 3 4
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/19 2:49 p.m.

I scrolled through FB marketplace looking for something in particular, and this big boy jumped out at me. It had been listed for about 45 minutes and was 10 minutes away.

That's a 472 with 1486238 cast on the block, which means it's a 67-68 with the highest compression. "Built by my uncle who passed away last year". It's not fully rebuilt - the heads haven't been cleaned - but the seller knows the heads were off as part of the work and it's been stored under cover. Turns over.

Meanwhile, my 1966 Cadillac has a sick 429 with no compression on one cylinder, and 429 parts are expensive. I can drop in a 472 with an a-dapter kit from Cad500parts. From what I can tell, all I need is the trans adapter (different bolt pattern) and some relocated motor mounts. It even has a front sump already.

For $200, it was a no brainer. I left a deposit, I'll pick it up tomorrow. Let's see what an easy engine swap feels like!

slowbird
slowbird Reader
8/27/19 2:57 p.m.

For a second, I thought you were going to cram that big boy into a Miata. laugh

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
8/27/19 3:03 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Let's see what an easy engine swap feels like!

yeah....careful with that kind of boast.....

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/27/19 3:07 p.m.

Can’t be a 67 as they started in 68 but great buy. Mind if I Stampie Rule it for the Challenge?  

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
8/27/19 3:19 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

10 pages from now there’ll be a post from you saying it really wasn’t that bad. 

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
8/27/19 3:23 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

That's where the 429 is going once it's rebuilt.

Keith Tanner
8/27/19 4:11 p.m.
ultraclyde said:
Keith Tanner said:

yeah....careful with that kind of boast.....

I mean, this was the last one I did at home and it had never been done before.

An actual supported swap for an engine from the same manufacturer that's physically the same basic size, going into an engine bay that has its own zip code, and runs a carburettor and distributor? Yeah, I'm going to call that easy.

And yeah, 68-69. It's the most powerful and torquiest of the 472s, but more importantly it's right here.

I don't know what a Stampie Rule is, but I don't think I want you to do that.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
8/27/19 4:20 p.m.

It would be real hard to lose on this one. It seems a little too good to be true but sometimes just being ready RIGHT NOW with money in hand is all it takes for too good to be true to be true. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/27/19 4:28 p.m.
Vigo said:

It would be real hard to lose on this one. It seems a little too good to be true but sometimes just being ready RIGHT NOW with money in hand is all it takes for too good to be true to be true. 

You're right. But why do I browse CL when I don't have the money to pay for anything?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/27/19 4:40 p.m.
Keith Tanner said: Yeah, I'm going to call that easy.

That's *twice* you've tempted fate, Keith.

I hope it is as easy for you as you think it will be. 

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/19 4:48 p.m.
Brett_Murphy said:
Keith Tanner said: Yeah, I'm going to call that easy.

That's *twice* you've tempted fate, Keith.

I hope it is as easy for you as you think it will be. 

Gets engine in easy as cake. *Turns out it's a reverse-rotation marine unit*

devil

Keith Tanner
8/27/19 4:57 p.m.

I hope it's that easy too. But it's not going to be this weekend, so you guys might have to wait to find out ;)

Chris at Cad500Parts has already hit me up with some tech info that's quite useful. I'm going to take a look at my car to ensure I know exactly what I'm dealing with, and I'll do a little checking of this engine to make sure it's as good as I'm hoping. But it's good to finally have somewhere to go with the big beast.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
8/27/19 5:02 p.m.

Looks like a heck of a deal, but "rebuilt by my uncle who died last year" could mean anything...be sure to check it over thoroughly before dropping it in the car.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
8/27/19 5:29 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

Looks like a heck of a deal, but "rebuilt by my uncle who died last year" could mean anything...be sure to check it over thoroughly before dropping it in the car.

If the heads were dirty, that could mean a head swap for a used set that worked or the short block just had a hone-ring-bearing refresh.

Keith Tanner
8/27/19 5:41 p.m.

He was apparently mad for Cadillacs so I'll bet there was some swapping going on. I'd be happy with some new rings and bearings. I want to check the size of the oil pickup tube (it's smaller on the 68/69 engines than later) so I'll get a peek at the crank at the same time. Even if it needs a bit of work, it'll be quite a bit cheaper to rebuild this 472 than the 429.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/19 5:47 p.m.

You might have bought an engine a little bit, but you damn sure didn't buy a little bit of engine.

That's a lot of bit any way you look at it. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/27/19 5:49 p.m.
Floating Doc said:
Vigo said:

You're right. But why do I browse CL when I don't have the money to pay for anything?

practice for the real thing? 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/19 5:59 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Your thread title is definitely something I would say to my wife

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/19 6:20 p.m.

The Stampie Rule is that he can borrow it for the Challenge for the price you paid for it. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/27/19 6:25 p.m.

Let me know if you need anything. I have a little 472/500 parts stash. 

Edit it's the oil passages themselves that are smaller on the pre 5200 blocks. Not really a concern unless you're planning on a monster drag build.  

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
8/27/19 6:30 p.m.

May we see the sled that is receiving this heart transplant .....please pretty

chandler
chandler PowerDork
8/27/19 6:43 p.m.
Patrick said:

That’s what she said?

Keith Tanner
8/27/19 6:53 p.m.

Good to know, Stampie. 

As for the sled...

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/19 6:55 p.m.
slowbird said:

For a second, I thought you were going to cram that big boy into a Miata. laugh

The Internet says they are about the same exterior dimensions and weight as a SBC.

The Internet, as you are no doubt aware, is full of E36 M3.

Keith Tanner
8/27/19 7:11 p.m.
Patrick said:

It is exactly what the text I sent to my wife said.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2iagRbdEQUiDX5f5zMFjkaEDTW8lEeyH4O0NU5Y18VzKsYE0EuoKiXZkFh9W5doi