gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
12/17/21 11:40 a.m.

This is going to be a bit of a ramble, but figured I'd post since I know a lot of us struggle with dreams that exceed our means/time for piles of projects. And because I need to write my thoughts down to deal with the feelings of buyers remorse.

I've always had a problem getting in a bit too deep... I look at a vehicle and see a blank canvas for modification, and end up buried up to my ears in projects that will never quite be done. It's a bit of a bittersweet day for me since I've realized that, if I want to have time to do things not in the garage, I need to offload projects. So I went out and bought an Answer vehicle.

I love GMT400s and currently have these two. A '98 K1500 Z71 for truck stuff, and a 2000 Tahoe Limited that has been the tow rig for a few years. I have a built engine for the Tahoe, along with all the manual transmission swap parts....it was going to be great. The pickup doesn't have the interior space, but I kept it around for when the Tahoe was out of commission, and the Tahoe is 2wd. I race dirt bikes, and I've been pulled out of (basically dry) fields 3 times this year and nearly couldn't get into the pits at the last race, let alone back out. The Silverado I am not so attached to, but the Tahoe is different. It feels special like all of our enthusiast vehicles, and it would be even better with 3 pedals and more power. But it needs months of solid work to "finish", and what do I have when I get there? A truck that still gets stuck easily, isn't terribly quiet on my many long drives, and that you have to drive like any other lowered vehicle: somewhat carefully. Also, 8 mpg, foot on the floor to maintain 70-75 mph with the trailer is a drag. And I have 3 non-op E30s and DrBoost's old LS1 944 that I'm still chipping away at and will never finish if I don't make some hard decisions.

Pics:

So I finally forced myself to do something. Saw this Suburban for sale while I was out visiting my family and ended up buying it, which means that it's time to sell the GMT400s. It's a 2004 2500 8.1 with all the options and totally stock, and it definitely doesn't have the special feel of the Tahoe. So I guess I feel like I'm getting old and giving up, taking that step from every vehicle being a toy to something that I have no desire to modify, lower, engine swap, transmission convert, or anything else. But hopefully it means I'll have more time for the other things in life that I do miss out on with so many projects, and that will eventually offset feeling like I'm giving up on a great project.

/ramble. Happy to hear thoughts, but mostly just needed to get thoughts out of my head in a place where people might understand it vs. friends and family who can't see why I wouldn't be 100% thrilled getting rid of older, high miles vehicles and going to a newer, nicer one.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
12/17/21 11:52 a.m.

I have a 2004 Suburban.  It's a tank and does everything I ask of it, they are good at what they do.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
12/17/21 12:12 p.m.

I'm going through the very same thought process myself currently. The R53 MINI is getting long in the tooth with mechanical issues as well as rust. I'm quickly approaching 70 and I have a Challenge build to complete, a driver grade Miata to play with and current offerings at any dealerships all bear a striking resemblance to CUVs. I've been waffling between finding a low mileage 1st gen MINI, or just go buy a brand new CUV of whatever brand. My current MINI has been my daily driver for 14+ years now and feels like my favourite old pair of shoes. A better old car would likely be the best choice, but finding anything reasonably priced and with a manual transmission right now isn't easy.........what to do?

Edit: I did buy myself a brand new GMC Canyon in 2019 and that's the dependable, boring appliance one would expect. I just don't see it as a "right sized" vehicle for running errands and it certainly isn't a vehicle that I would just go for a drive in.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
12/17/21 12:13 p.m.

I understand.  It's a lot better to let go of some of the projects if it means it will allow you to finish others, rather than have a pile of out of commission vehicles, or ones that just need constant attention.  It still sucks, though.  I think most of us here have a huge mental list of things we'd do if only we had the money, time, and space.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/17/21 12:31 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

To your "time, money and space," I'll add another ingredient that I'm short of: skill. 

I wouldn't hesitate to make the change to that Suburban. I have a rust free GMT400 C2500 and I've been ready to replace it for a while. I'm only holding back due to lack of cash. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XUkwY5ryMrbcTt3kNA8RkwotQPkiZBNLDKv60FP1Ub6qTtNxlOksah40tETmnDCm