1 2
nderwater
nderwater New Reader
7/8/08 9:38 a.m.

I currently have a '99 Miata Turbo and an '99 M3. Either one could be picked up again for under $10K and out of the box offer similar performance to what you're used to in the S. The Miata would be more entertaining to drive, the M3 would offer more practicality and more clubs would let you track it. Aftermarket support for both is huge.

Raze
Raze New Reader
7/8/08 11:26 a.m.

XR4Ti suspension can easily be upgraded to full coilovers for $1200-2000 depending if you want AVOs, Konis, or something exotic like imported Cosworth Sierra parts. Seriously there is no end to 'tweaking' a 2.3L Turbo'd car, the list of things you can do is as endless as your wallet and even then it's not that bad. For example we have around $5k into our XR4 with a purchase price of $900, to list everything we've done to it would take a page but suffice it to say it was alot of fun with somewhere between 3-400whp depending on fuel/boost and seriously lightened, and we are all also very profficient backyard mechanics because of it, not all parts are easy to come by but most are and serious McGyver repair jobs can be necessary but most of the time aren't as someone out there on turboford or merkur forums have the part you need or a junkyard filled w/XR4s...

The SVOs while a more common platform for styling upgrades and the already nicer T5 transmission (which can be swapped into an XR4 with very little effort), still has a solid rear axle instead of IRS like the XR4 and they command a much higher price since they are rare, especially good well kept examples. XR4s are rare as well, but no one knows what an XR4 is so they can be gotten for much cheaper than an SVO.

If you want a car that's 'nicer' go Miata because it's just that simple...

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 New Reader
7/8/08 1:01 p.m.

If finances allow, keep the Boxster. I know what you are going through. That first year is stressful and costly. It will also probably be difficult to sell a higher end car in this current market.

Gotsol
Gotsol New Reader
7/10/08 1:31 p.m.

Funny, I am thinking of getting a Boxster S but I am scared of Porsche ownership.

My wife and I make a good living so I think we can handle the payments / maintanence but there is something holding me back form pulling the trigger.

Tell me about some of the joys of ownership please. I am on the fence between the Boxster and a nice used S2000

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/10/08 1:46 p.m.
Raze wrote: XR4s are rare as well,

I have removed a few from the gene pool, One left...

alleykat
alleykat New Reader
7/10/08 2:45 p.m.

You are going to take a beating if you sell the Boxster after one year. I vote to learn how to mod it if that's what you crave. Hell for that matter, buy a $2500 Miata and mod to your little hearts content but keep the Boxter so you don't need finish every project by Monday morning.

racerdave600
racerdave600 New Reader
7/10/08 4:03 p.m.

Modifying a Porsche is expensive, mainly because the aftermarket parts prices people want are usually above levels of other cars. I've been wheel shopping lately, and the choices are insane. And I understand the fear of repairs, Porsches are not cheap anyway you look at it, even for a cheap "entry level" version. They're still fun to own though, and of course Boxsters drive great!

That said, my recommendation is for a last gen normally aspirated Supra. They're right about your price point if you shop wisely, and are near bulletproof. They also respond well to mods, and are as fast or faster than an E36 M3 on track, without any of the maintenance or breakage issues common to most German cars. I know personally from experience.

A friend that's currently racing a T3 RX8 recently did a regional event in his old Supra in the new IT class, although it was still stock, very stock. It hadn't been raced in about 3 years, but was considerably faster than the RX8 even with its trick shocks, etc.

Sometimes I feel like the keeper of the flame for Supras, but they're very underrated and probably the best Japanese car ever built, certainly the best Toyota, and I'm a long time MR2 owner.

Of course I'd also recommend an MR2, and what good GRM board member wouldn't recommend a Miata under the circumstance?

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/11/08 7:45 a.m.

Sorry, for the slow response, I've been traveling on business the last couple days.

skruffy wrote: What do you want for the Boxter if you don't mind my asking?

Good news, bad news on this one... I am not asking anything, but entertaining offers. To avoid turning this into a classified, send me a message or email!

On Porsche ownership... it is a great experience. You will make friends with people that will last forever. Also, PCar people tend to have really good opportunities to enjoy. For Boxster specifically, there is the "The Boxsters have Landed" event in Vegas and the Blue Ridge Boxster Summit. Both are stacked with entertainment and driving experiences. Plus it is just good fun to park in the Porsche corrall at Petit Le Mans. It's great stuff.

On selling a Porsche... this is my second Boxster. That makes a big difference. If this were a 911, I don't think that I would even be having these thoughts. I know basically everything there is to know about the Boxsters (within reason). The things I don't know are into the details that I hope I never have to figure out (for example, how to rebuild an engine). Boxsters are so good stock, that there isn't much to do with them, or at least that will be a benefit. Most mods ruin the car. I don't want to do that.

My list coming into this thread was: WRX - E30 - 240sx. Of those, I prefered the E30, but I haven't been able to find any good examples to consider (probably just shopping in the wrong places). The WRX is very interesting, I need to check an AWD and a Turbo car off my Car "to do" list and the WRX would get both. My concern here is that it is considerably larger than any other car I've driven/raced and that I've heard engines start having issues when modded. I owned a 240sx for a couple months and was fairly impressed with it. This car has an image problem and a DPO issue. They tend to be "riced" or tried to be "riced" and most have lived a hard life. Good, clean, stock or mildly modded cars just don't exist anymore.

Based on this thread, 2 more cars have been added to my list for consideration: Supras, and MR2s.

Gotsol... if you've never owned a Porsche, and have the opportunity... do it. The S2000 is a Civic everyday buy when racing. The Porsche is always a Porsche. The ride is better, the engine makes a better noise, it handles amazing, the build quality is flawless... there is no substitute. Come to Birmingham and I'll let you take mine out for a spin... I think the car will make the decision for you.

Gotsol
Gotsol New Reader
7/11/08 8:52 a.m.
BradLTL wrote: Gotsol... if you've never owned a Porsche, and have the opportunity... do it. The S2000 is a Civic everyday buy when racing. The Porsche is always a Porsche. The ride is better, the engine makes a better noise, it handles amazing, the build quality is flawless... there is no substitute. Come to Birmingham and I'll let you take mine out for a spin... I think the car will make the decision for you.

I think that says it all! Thanks for the input and offer. Come on over to the Atlanta Region Autocross events. www.soloatlanta.com

924guy
924guy HalfDork
7/11/08 6:25 p.m.

get a 951 to play with...

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/11/08 7:21 p.m.
EricM wrote: I am not sure of the gass milage of a corevett but the C4;s can be had under $9K (or did I just make that up?)

i just took a trip up to the UP of michigan. 600+ miles one way. i did about 100 miles of non highway driving while up there, a good 4 hour chunk on the way up was 55 in torrential downpour, i spent the rest of the time at 75-80 with 4 blasts up to 105 or so, and came back from toledo no highway. averaged 25mpg for the entire trip and i'm not light on the pedal coming off lights, stop signs, onto highways, or while passing.

hard to beat a c4 and its certainly not a step down in anything performance wise from a boxster.

walterj
walterj HalfDork
7/11/08 8:28 p.m.
hard to beat a c4 and its certainly not a step down in anything performance wise from a boxster.

Have you driven a Boxster S? Almost every car I can think of is a step down from it and if you include "handling" as performance then the C4 is not a step down, it's several stories down.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
7/11/08 8:48 p.m.

yeah, but in price it is exactly 15 underground stories lower.

there is a C4 down the street from me priced at 6495

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/11/08 9:41 p.m.

Turbo Miata.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3vbvZ3XjWUTrHaF6TyZ8u1A6aYQg0heL2ej6Wnv6S1iCcyeiP8IKh54He83KyAxW