Jeff
Jeff Dork
11/28/11 10:43 a.m.

I was at Tall Pines this last weekend. It was awesome. I worked the event (FTC), which means I did not see the cars once at full boil, and it was still awesome. I've wanted to do this since I first saw the POR in the early 80's. For what ever lame reasons I can come up with, it hasn't happened yet. But it needs to. Next year.

So there's two ways to handle this. Buy a car and everything I need. I think I can do it for under 10K (buying a built car). Go rally. If I only do one rally, I can sell the car and everything for half price (#1 racing rule, every time you sell something racing related, you lose half your money). Cost; about $5k. The other way is to rent a ride. Last time I looked into this about 5 years ago, it was running around $2-3K. I have not checked recently, but I'm betting it's a little more money now.

What do you think?

Related item. Who wants to co-drive? Best case, you'd be Toronto area or at least Ontario based, be under 6 ft tall and weigh less than 175 (I'm right at that, so a car that fits me, should fit you and the weight balance will be more or less equal). Experienced would be great, but if not, don't worry. We'll be doing navigational rallies starting in January to learn (mark off the 7th). You will pay all your event costs plus half the entry. I cover the other half of entry, my event costs, and all the car related costs. Send me a PM if your are interested.

I'm doing this. Tall Pines is next year, November 23-24. Mark your calendar.

cghstang
cghstang HalfDork
11/28/11 11:37 a.m.

specialstage.com

Post this info there in the appropriate forum(s) and you'll find a car to rent and a co-driver.

If you know that you just want to do one rally, I would rent.

Winston
Winston Reader
11/28/11 11:44 a.m.

Also check out rallyanarchy.com. IMO that's the GRM version of specialstage.com.

NGTD
NGTD Dork
11/28/11 1:25 p.m.
Jeff wrote: I was at Tall Pines this last weekend. It was awesome. I worked the event (FTC), which means I did not see the cars once at full boil, and it was still awesome. I've wanted to do this since I first saw the POR in the early 80's. For what ever lame reasons I can come up with, it hasn't happened yet. But it needs to. Next year. So there's two ways to handle this. Buy a car and everything I need. I think I can do it for under 10K (buying a built car). Go rally. If I only do one rally, I can sell the car and everything for half price (#1 racing rule, every time you sell something racing related, you lose half your money). Cost; about $5k. The other way is to rent a ride. Last time I looked into this about 5 years ago, it was running around $2-3K. I have not checked recently, but I'm betting it's a little more money now. What do you think? Related item. Who wants to co-drive? Best case, you'd be Toronto area or at least Ontario based, be under 6 ft tall and weigh less than 175 (I'm right at that, so a car that fits me, should fit you and the weight balance will be more or less equal). Experienced would be great, but if not, don't worry. We'll be doing navigational rallies starting in January to learn (mark off the 7th). You will pay all your event costs plus half the entry. I cover the other half of entry, my event costs, and all the car related costs. Send me a PM if your are interested. I'm doing this. Tall Pines is next year, November 23-24. Mark your calendar.

Jeff - watch the ads show up over the next little while. Lots of guys dump cars at this time of the year. In my opinion buy - I know a guy that is trying to sell a Mazda 323 that is ready to go.

I would love to join you but . . . I am in Ontario, I am OVER 6 ft. tall, I am (way) OVER 175 lbs. and I have no cash right now to do this.

Don't forget you need 1) A good helmet, 2) A HANS device and 3) A good racing suit - so your personal safety stuff will be $1500 - $2K.

Oh and have fun.

BTW which FTC did you work? I was the Stage Commander on A2, A3, A10 and B3 (so I was at the ATC's)

DC

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
11/28/11 3:24 p.m.

Rent! You'll be glad you did if you seriously only want to do it once. No worry about prep, learning the latest safety rules and doing updates, etc. Arrive and drive!

Bryce

Winston
Winston Reader
11/28/11 3:35 p.m.
Nashco wrote: Rent! You'll be glad you did if you seriously only want to do it once. No worry about prep, learning the latest safety rules and doing updates, etc. Arrive and drive! Bryce

The thing with rally is that nobody ever wants to do it just once.

I would recommend that you BUY -- but ONLY if you're confident in your ability to continually fund the effort.

Jeff
Jeff Dork
11/28/11 3:48 p.m.

I'm leaning towards buy right now since I was on the O"Neil motorsports site and you're looking at $5k to rent the Ford Escape. I've got an email into Pat Richard at Rocket Rally to see what they have to offer. I'm sure it will be a few days since they are towing back to BC from ON.

Still looking for a co-driver?

Jeff
Jeff Dork
12/28/11 10:44 p.m.

Come on, someone must want to co-drive? I'm thinking the first TSD will be in Quebec on the 14th. Any takers?

NGTD
NGTD Dork
12/28/11 11:18 p.m.
Jeff wrote: Come on, someone must want to co-drive? I'm thinking the first TSD will be in Quebec on the 14th. Any takers?

I sent this whole thread to a guy over on Toronto Subaru Club and I think he tried to reach you.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
12/28/11 11:55 p.m.

Also try MLRC.

Not 100% sure, but I think the driver pays the way. Maybe that's why you have no interest.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
12/29/11 2:01 a.m.

What happens (money wise) if you bin the rental? That strikes me as more likey to happen in a rally, than a track day.

I'd buy.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
12/29/11 8:05 a.m.

Just under 400 miles away, I am heavier but fit in all other ways and I am dieting

Good thing is I have done it before, but it was a long time ago

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
12/29/11 11:30 a.m.

There's no such thing as only wanting to do it once. How's that quote go? "rally makes heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty"? Go ahead and rent for the first event if you're not sure, then plan on doing some shopping. And plan on buying that rental if you do bin it.

Jeff
Jeff Dork
1/3/12 10:37 p.m.

I think I've found a co-driver.

Zomby, from who I've talked to, the navi pays half of the non car related costs.

NGTD, do you have contact info for the 323 for sale in Ontario?

Thanks!

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
1/4/12 12:26 a.m.
Jeff wrote: Zomby, from who I've talked to, the navi pays half of the non car related costs.

There is no set formula, what works for one team differs from the other.

As a general rule though, noob co-drivers typically do what you suggest. Experienced co-drivers figure it out for themselves on how badly they want to go play... and typically, experienced co-drivers don't have to want to go too badly to get a free ride.

Good luck in getting out on stage!

NGTD
NGTD Dork
1/4/12 12:43 p.m.
Jeff wrote: I think I've found a co-driver. Zomby, from who I've talked to, the navi pays half of the non car related costs. NGTD, do you have contact info for the 323 for sale in Ontario? Thanks!

I will have to track him down.

Give me a couple of days.

NGTD
NGTD Dork
1/4/12 7:50 p.m.
NGTD wrote:
Jeff wrote: I think I've found a co-driver. Zomby, from who I've talked to, the navi pays half of the non car related costs. NGTD, do you have contact info for the 323 for sale in Ontario? Thanks!
I will have to track him down. Give me a couple of days.

Sorry, but I heard back and it is sold already.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QkbwsMjodnpa1QopKuj6APUq79fjyJSKD0yQiG62qiCbxmZza3RtTdXoBZJeox90