1 2 3
TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
4/5/16 8:43 p.m.

I'm getting ready to graduate from Penn State (YAY!). As some of you may know, I want to take my racing efforts to a new level, once I get out of school. Therefore, I need a truck. I need something that will be able to tow an enclosed trailer. I have been searching for about 2 weeks, and my dad and I have looked at a truck. I got cold feet once I saw the car fax report.

I thought I should ask for some help. I would like something that is from 2000 up. What would you guys recommend? I know that a diesel is going to get better fuel mileage, but they are also more expensive. What do you guys use? What should I stay away from? Do you have any leads for good reliable trucks in the York, PA area?

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
4/5/16 8:49 p.m.

First off, don't buy one up in PA. Look for a southern truck and drive it back up. The lack of rust will change your life. What events are you towing to? If it's East coast track stuff, that's one thing, if you're contesting the Canadian rally series and will find yourself regularly crossing the continent, that's another. How big an enclosed?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
4/5/16 9:00 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

I would like to be able to tow to Florida for the Challenge, and one day to Drag Week, where ever that is held. It's primary use will likely be local tracks, though.

The enclosed will either be a 24 foot or 20 foot. I'm not sure how much they weigh, but if I had to guess, I would say around 4500 pounds. Add a car to that, and you have 7000-7500 pounds.

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
4/5/16 9:11 p.m.

Replace the transmission?

https://www.govdeals.ca/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=824&acctid=232

Needs a fuel pump

https://www.govdeals.ca/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=2053&acctid=1108

No issues noted

https://www.govdeals.ca/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1229&acctid=1298

Anyway, get on govdeals and check. 275 trucks under 1 ton. I would go 3/4 ton if I were you.

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
4/5/16 9:11 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEIBmGZxAhg

There are more of them down there, and there's no BLOODY RUST.

7500-8000 lbs is about the limit for easy operation with a 1/2 ton pickup.

Depending on how far you drive unloaded, towing with a six cylinder gasoline engine may cost significantly less than towing with a diesel. Many states limit trailers to 60 mph or less, so a relaxed pace may be necessary even if your turboclatterer will run 80 mph into a 30 mph headwind.

Diesels are expensive to maintain and the expense comes suddenly (like Texas A&M FSAE blowing up two Ford Six Litre engines between College Station and Stillwater on the way to Lincoln).

Having said that I still miss that brand new Chevy 2500 Duramax we towed home behind (thank you Ron Capps). It was like a 740iL with a bed.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
4/6/16 5:59 a.m.

Gmt800 suburban and you can live in it and call it a "tiny house" so your hipster friends will still think you are cool.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
4/6/16 6:19 a.m.

For that kind of weight and wind resistance I'd say get the 2500 Suburban. Same running gear as the open bed truck but unless you need an open bed, the burb is more useful. 6.0 gas and 4l80 FTW.

Go south young man, get out of the salt belt and bring back something clean.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/6/16 6:30 a.m.

If you look in the South, be prepared for higher mileage than you are used to.

Northerners think vehicles are worn out when they cross a certain mileage threshold. Southerners drive them forever.

I have 504K on my daily driver, and could still get $8K for it.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
4/6/16 6:40 a.m.
SVreX wrote: If you look in the South, be prepared for higher mileage than you are used to. Northerners think vehicles are worn out when they cross a certain mileage threshold. Southerners drive them forever. I have 504K on my daily driver, and could still get $8K for it.

I wouldn't say that. We just expect it to be nothing but a pile of rust by the time it hits super high miles.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
4/6/16 7:18 a.m.

Do you have a budget in mind? I'm assuming you need it ready to drive if you are coming south to buy? I can keep an eye out locally south of Atlanta.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
4/6/16 7:49 a.m.

Yep - I'm thinking the best 3/4 ton whatever you can find in your price range. Don't overlook Suburbans, Excursions, or full size vans, either.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
4/6/16 7:49 a.m.

A 2500 Suburban would be a good search. For what you're doing the lockable/liveable storage space would be more useful than a truck bed. There seem to always be a couple for sale in Houston at any given time.

Edit, like this: Suburban

Quigs
Quigs New Reader
4/6/16 8:41 a.m.

I searched for over 6 months to finally find a tow rig I was comfortable buying that fit both my price range, mileage, and towing requirements. I ended up with a 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD. It is comfortable and tows my open trailer with ~3300 lb car relatively well.

Like people have said, look for Suburban 2500, Yukon XL 2500, etc. If you don't need 4x4 then there is an abundance of 3/4 ton work vans that can be had for mad cheap.

kb58
kb58 Dork
4/6/16 8:42 a.m.
chaparral wrote: Diesels are expensive to maintain and the expense comes suddenly (like Texas A&M FSAE blowing up two Ford Six Litre engines between College Station and Stillwater on the way to Lincoln).

I'm sensing an entertaining story here, do tell!

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
4/6/16 8:42 a.m.

Make sure you grab one with the LS, watch the years, switch over is usually a year later than the pickups.

Furious_E
Furious_E HalfDork
4/6/16 8:51 a.m.

Dang it, I just saw a nice looking 'Burb 2500 with a for sale sign on it a couple Saturdays ago and now I can't remember where it was parked. Somewhere in the greater Carlisle area, so not far from you at all.

I've got a coworker who's selling a new-ish (maybe '10-'12?) Ram 2500 Mega Cab with the Cummins in the Hanover area. Could see what he's asking if you're interested.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
4/6/16 8:55 a.m.

If you can keep your mileage under 12k a year, I would lease. Finding a decent used truck is like finding a civic that is not molested, they are rare. I was looking at used trucks this year and they were all beat to heck. I even checked out a 2013 Nissan Frontier this year and it only had 26k miles and it was beat to the ground.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
4/6/16 9:02 a.m.
Furious_E wrote: Dang it, I just saw a nice looking 'Burb 2500 with a for sale sign on it a couple Saturdays ago and now I can't remember where it was parked. Somewhere in the greater Carlisle area, so not far from you at all.

I would be interested in this one as well.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/6/16 9:03 a.m.
Brian wrote:
SVreX wrote: If you look in the South, be prepared for higher mileage than you are used to. Northerners think vehicles are worn out when they cross a certain mileage threshold. Southerners drive them forever. I have 504K on my daily driver, and could still get $8K for it.

I wouldn't say that. We just expect it to be nothing but a pile of rust by the time it hits super high miles.

That's correct. Northerners use mileage as a way to measure rust.

My 504K truck is 100% rust free. Undercarriage, wheel wells, cab corners, everything.

BTW, I'm a Northerner, so I get it.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/6/16 9:06 a.m.

What I am trying to say is that Northerners shopping in the South need to put aside the expectation that a high mileage vehicle is rusty.

Most would never consider looking at a 250K truck, and they are missing something good.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
4/6/16 9:27 a.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: Yep - I'm thinking the best 3/4 ton whatever you can find in your price range. Don't overlook Suburbans, Excursions, or full size vans, either.

I'd like to stay away from Suburbans, and Excursions, because they make hauling engines in the bed difficult. However, if I come across a screaming deal, I will definitely consider it.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
4/6/16 9:28 a.m.
Paul_VR6 wrote: Make sure you grab one with the LS, watch the years, switch over is usually a year later than the pickups.

So the truck I looked at recently was a 2500HD with a 4L80E, and a 6.0l. I liked how it drove, and it was comfortable. I definitely have a preference towards something with an LS engine, because we have a lot of parts for them, and I am familiar with them.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
4/6/16 9:32 a.m.
trigun7469 wrote: If you can keep your mileage under 12k a year, I would lease. Finding a decent used truck is like finding a civic that is not molested, they are rare. I was looking at used trucks this year and they were all beat to heck. I even checked out a 2013 Nissan Frontier this year and it only had 26k miles and it was beat to the ground.

I don't like the idea of leasing something, because I'd like to own something when I am done. I want to use this truck for as long as I can.

Furious_E
Furious_E HalfDork
4/6/16 9:35 a.m.
Paul_VR6 wrote:
Furious_E wrote: Dang it, I just saw a nice looking 'Burb 2500 with a for sale sign on it a couple Saturdays ago and now I can't remember where it was parked. Somewhere in the greater Carlisle area, so not far from you at all.

I would be interested in this one as well.

I'll see if I can make time on Saturday to wander around and look for it. Think I remember what road it was parked on at least.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
4/6/16 9:45 a.m.
Furious_E wrote: Dang it, I just saw a nice looking 'Burb 2500 with a for sale sign on it a couple Saturdays ago and now I can't remember where it was parked. Somewhere in the greater Carlisle area, so not far from you at all. I've got a coworker who's selling a new-ish (maybe '10-'12?) Ram 2500 Mega Cab with the Cummins in the Hanover area. Could see what he's asking if you're interested.

Like I said, not a huge fan of having a Suburban, but I would consider it if it is a good deal.

The Ram sounds expensive. I guess it wouldn't hurt, but anything over $20k is too much for me.

1 2 3
Our Preferred Partners
8CLKPnvDSxJLnS9WgOT6tqFiMC8LxzezCRGsWDMqAVw2MpyGERQ6y6EJIbkyERdj