1 2 3
TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
4/6/16 9:49 a.m.
ultraclyde wrote: Do you have a budget in mind? I'm assuming you need it ready to drive if you are coming south to buy? I can keep an eye out locally south of Atlanta.

My budget is something under $20k. Obviously the cheaper the better, but you get what you pay for... most of the time. I am going to have to take out a loan, which will help me build some credit. I need to talk with my dad about buying a truck from the South before I can say yes or no.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
4/6/16 9:50 a.m.

I have been finding 7.3L powerstrokes for reasonable prices around here. What do you guys think of them. How are they on fuel mileage. I read of some people getting 20 mpg highway unloaded, which seems ludicrous to me.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
4/6/16 9:55 a.m.

I seem to remember Huckleberry had a truck for sale up there somewhere?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/6/16 10:11 a.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid:

If reliability is your goal, 7,3ls are awesome. That's what my 504K daily is.

It IS possible to get 20+ mpg. With no load on board, I get 22 mpg with an after market economy chip, no exhaust or other upgrades.

TheEnd
TheEnd New Reader
4/6/16 11:03 a.m.

I have a 99.5 powerstroke that runs, shifts and tows great, I average about 18.5 mpg. The deals are out there if you stay patient. I might even part with it soon.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
4/6/16 11:14 a.m.

I have a lot of questions about the 7.3L

1. What chip do you have? How much does it cost?

2. How much can it comfortably tow?

3. What is the city and towing fuel mileage like?

4. How much are injectors?

5. What is the maintenance regimen like?

6. Are there any years that are better than others?

I have seen a couple for sale around here with less than 100000 miles that are reasonably priced. My dad has an 2006 Ford, so I already know that I like the body style of the early 2000 trucks.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/6/16 11:30 a.m.
TheV8Kid wrote: 1. What chip do you have? How much does it cost?

Diablo Sport Predator. It's an older reflash system. It came with a programmer that plugged into the OBDII port. Not sure on the current cost- Google is your friend.

TheV8Kid wrote: 2. How much can it comfortably tow?

Rated for 13,100. I've towed more. Not sure what "comfortably" means (does it have anything to do with needing to change your shorts?).

TheV8Kid wrote: 3. What is the city and towing fuel mileage like?

Haven't clocked it in a long time, and I don't drive in the city.

TheV8Kid wrote: 4. How much are injectors?

Pricey. Figure $2600 for a set of 8- you can do better.

TheV8Kid wrote: 5. What is the maintenance regimen like?

I change the oil.

TheV8Kid wrote: 6. Are there any years that are better than others?

1st half of 2003 was the last year- the 2003 manual had the most power (but the differences are slight). 1999 was the first year for intercooled- I wouldn't want one older.

TheV8Kid wrote: I have seen a couple for sale around here with less than 100000 miles that are reasonably priced.

A 100,000 mile 7.3L is not even broken in. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
4/6/16 11:45 a.m.

Few additions:

Newer trucks seem to have better towing capabilities. I have a 2014 Sierra single cab with the 5.3L and tow package that's rated to tow 9800 lbs. Buddy of mine was amazed that it was rated higher than his '02 Ford 250 powerstroke 4x4.

If you go for a Ford diesel (as SVreX noted) you want the intercooled years with the 7.3L. The 6.0 they came out with mid 2003 and beyond were problem motors. I've also heard (but can't confirm) that if you find a 6.0L with a bunch of miles on it already (150k plus), chances are it's not as likely to be a problem one.

Keep in mind that financing an older truck will be more challenging.

Keeping it under $20k should find you a nice truck that will last a long time, you'll just need to keep looking south and decide if you want a Ford, GM or Dodge and if you want gas or diesel. As you've found, diesels hold their value more.

How often would you be hauling an engine? Suburbans/Excursions are sometimes cheaper for the similar towing capabilities and providing more comfort. Along that lines, a cargo van is often even cheaper and can give you a place to sleep/change clothes/get out of the rain, etc. But, if the truck will also be doing DD duty, a cargo van isn't all that comfortable.

-Rob

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
4/6/16 11:50 a.m.
TheV8Kid wrote: I have been finding 7.3L powerstrokes for reasonable prices around here. What do you guys think of them. How are they on fuel mileage. I read of some people getting 20 mpg highway unloaded, which seems ludicrous to me.

I just picked up a 96 7.3 long bed 2wd at Christmas, so it's older than you are looking at. It's got the 3.55 rear gear, which is the most highway-friendly they offered. On the two hour drive home at 60mph on back roads I got a calculated 19mpg. In town it's been closer to 12. I think things like hills and headwinds and how hard you pull from a stop have a larger effect on mpg with these than most cars. Truck is box stock.

I don't doubt that some of them are capable of a sustained 20mpg in perfect circumstances.

My older one is rated for 10k lbs on a hitch tow, more on a 5th wheel. Service is oil changes at 5k, fuel filter every other oil change, keep an eye on the coolant additive level to prevent cylinder pitting. The older trucks like to have lubricity additives in the fuel on every tank too, not sure on the Super Duty trucks. I've been running ashless marine 2-stroke oil (TCW3?) in the fuel and the truck seems happier.

I bought it to tow a future boat purchase that may run up to 8k lbs, and I have no doubt it will be perfectly happy doing so over many interstate miles. The 0-60 times suck, but they're the same empty or towing.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/6/16 11:54 a.m.

Towing with diesel vs gas isn't just about the economy. It's there for sure, but a diesel will feel relaxed while a gas truck will feel stressed when you're pulling a big load.

Boss man has a current Tundra, I've got a 2010 Dodge 2500 Cummins (4x4 because Colorado, short bed, crew cab). The difference in their towing abilities is dramatic, the Tundra has stability issues even with a smaller trailer. It wails away when you're climbing the mountain passes and you feel like you're pushing the truck hard even with a little 24' trailer with a Miata in it. The Cummins just quietly grumbles deep in its throat and gets stuff done with a trailer that's twice as heavy. The Cummins also has an exhaust brake that's really nice on the highway. The diesel does get better economy by a bit, but I'd much rather be driving it regardless. That's stock vs stock, with the recent chip I added I'm getting even more midrange torque and 3 mpg better fuel economy.

A 3/4 ton diesel is a piece of fairly heavy machinery and will need to be maintained like one. It goes through fuel and air filters far faster than any of my other vehicles and there's a lot more oil involved in an oil change.

smokindav
smokindav New Reader
4/6/16 12:11 p.m.

Will you be daily driving the truck? If so, it's hard to beat a 1/2-ton Ford F150. Depending on the year you can tow up to 11,500 pounds with one (towing package, weight distributing hitch). Plenty enough to tow a car in an enclosed trailer.

I tow a 6,500 pound 26' boat on a ~1,000 pound aluminum trailer with my 2008 Expedition with no problems. Make sure the trailer is properly loaded for tongue weight, run trailer brakes and a brake controller and you won't have any problems.

A race car in an enclosed trailer with tools and gear is probably 6,000 pounds?

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
4/6/16 12:22 p.m.

While I would be loath to argue with Keith, at his altitude the air is thinner and the naturally aspirated gasser will struggle compared with the turbo-diesel. If I were dailying a big truck but only towing once or twice a month I'd stick with the 6.0 GM. Diesel just isn't much fun unless you need it regularly.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
4/6/16 1:08 p.m.

I will most likely not be daily driving this truck. My parents have a 2002 Cavalier that I have been driving for years, that I will likely drive until it dies.

Right now, I am leaning towards a truck with 7.3l, because most of the ones I've seen can be had for less than a 2500HD, but I need to talk it over with my dad.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/6/16 1:18 p.m.

In your case, I'd consider the LS.

Mostly because you are intimately familiar with them, and won't drive often.

Diesels do not like to sit. They like to run. I drive over 1000 miles per week, every week.

I had a 2001 Silverado 2500 with a 6.0L. Very competent towing machine. It sucked fuel like crazy, but newer versions have MUCH better fuel economy.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
4/6/16 1:52 p.m.

The 7.3 seems to live forever, we service a few fleets of trucks and theres 2 i remember off the top of my head that are over 500k mileage. Theres an expiditer we see really often who uses a pair of 7.3 powered vehicles. One is over 600k and he doesnt hesitate to drive it anywere in the US.

The fords do seem to still like eating ball joints like usual though.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/6/16 1:57 p.m.
SVreX wrote: In your case, I'd consider the LS. Mostly because you are intimately familiar with them

I will add one anecdote related to this wise comment.

TunaDad was racing, and was having misfire issues. He went to the truck, popped the hood, grabbed the rotor, and tried that in the race car.

Common parts is a really really nice thing to have.

TheEnd
TheEnd New Reader
4/6/16 6:58 p.m.
TheV8Kid wrote: I have a lot of questions about the 7.3L 1. What chip do you have? How much does it cost? 2. How much can it comfortably tow? 3. What is the city and towing fuel mileage like? 4. How much are injectors? 5. What is the maintenance regimen like? 6. Are there any years that are better than others? I have seen a couple for sale around here with less than 100000 miles that are reasonably priced. My dad has an 2006 Ford, so I already know that I like the body style of the early 2000 trucks.

Chip - TS6, $158 shipped. Stock,50,75,100,140, anti-theft.

Towing - I've only towed about 8k. Does it no problem.

Mpg - City - 16-17, towing about 14, hwy ~20

Injectors are $1800.

Maintenance is no different than any other car except more expensive.

99.5 and up is what you want.

TheEnd
TheEnd New Reader
4/6/16 7:04 p.m.

I'm also at 251k miles on the stock motor, trans, rear, turbo and injectors.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/6/16 7:31 p.m.

I've vote 8600GVW (8 lug wheels) Chevy van w/6.0 LS motor. Cheaper to buy and maintain than a diesel. Engines and so forth can still be loaded inside pretty easy, just tie down well. As stated before, your cargo is locked up and dry and you can camp in the thing.

Look for conversion vans. They often had a much easier life than a cargo van for the same (or less) money. Comfy seats etc. Vans are nice for trailers, the taller body puts a bigger hole in the air for less overall wind drag.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
4/6/16 7:58 p.m.

HD 3500 van in York.

2001 GMC SAVANNA 3500 - $3900 http://york.craigslist.org/cto/5526387732.html

98 ford e 350 van 7.3 power stroke diesel 2250 - $2250 http://york.craigslist.org/cto/5482768059.html

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
4/6/16 8:04 p.m.

I don't really have anything to add, other than the fact that if someone on this board doesn't use the name Berk Truck for their pickup, I will be very disappointed.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
4/6/16 8:23 p.m.

Diesel vans seem to be cheaper than trucks:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/5495110390.html

http://allentown.craigslist.org/cto/5527005292.html

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/5505811409.html

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/5511969724.html

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/5520480496.html

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/5508095899.html

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ctd/5499717906.html

Rodan
Rodan New Reader
4/6/16 9:07 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Towing with diesel vs gas isn't just about the economy. It's there for sure, but a diesel will feel relaxed while a gas truck will feel stressed when you're pulling a big load. Boss man has a current Tundra, I've got a 2010 Dodge 2500 Cummins (4x4 because Colorado, short bed, crew cab). The difference in their towing abilities is dramatic, the Tundra has stability issues even with a smaller trailer. It wails away when you're climbing the mountain passes and you feel like you're pushing the truck hard even with a little 24' trailer with a Miata in it. The Cummins just quietly grumbles deep in its throat and gets stuff done with a trailer that's twice as heavy. The Cummins also has an exhaust brake that's really nice on the highway. The diesel does get better economy by a bit, but I'd much rather be driving it regardless. That's stock vs stock, with the recent chip I added I'm getting even more midrange torque and 3 mpg better fuel economy. A 3/4 ton diesel is a piece of fairly heavy machinery and will need to be maintained like one. It goes through fuel and air filters far faster than any of my other vehicles and there's a lot more oil involved in an oil change.

QFT

Having had several gas and diesel trucks, if I'm towing, I'll take the diesel every time. I live in the mountains as well, but even in flat country, I prefer the diesel going down the road. My '00 F250 7.3 (2wd supercab LB, 6MT) got 20-22mpg empty running 70+. At the time, I was racing bikes, and pulling a 6x12 box trailer w/ two bikes getting 18mpg running 65mph. Was it overkill? Maybe, but it sure was pleasant to drive. BTW, first year for an intercooled 7.3 was 1996, IIRC, but the new body style ('99-03) was a nicer truck, IMHO, and I had both.

Currently in an '04 Ram 3500 Cummins (crew, 4x4, DRW, 6MT). Getting 17+mpg empty, ~15mpg with a 4000lb camper. I just got a 24ft enclosed for my Miata, but I haven't pulled it with the camper on yet. A one ton dually was the only thing that was going to work with the camper/trailer combo I had planned.

Both the 7.3 Fords, and the 5.7 Ram/Cummins are great motors, and out there in your price range. Be aware that the auto transmissions in both Ford and Dodge from the earlier diesel years may need some upgrades to be bullet proof. Manual trans trucks are harder to find, but are good to go. Diesels are a little more expensive to maintain, but easily worth it for hauling enclosed car trailers. Especially if mountain driving factors in at all...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/6/16 9:27 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: While I would be loath to argue with Keith, at his altitude the air is thinner and the naturally aspirated gasser will struggle compared with the turbo-diesel. If I were dailying a big truck but only towing once or twice a month I'd stick with the 6.0 GM. Diesel just isn't much fun unless you need it regularly.

My next two long towing trips will be to Atlanta and Monterey. I get to drive the truck in thicker air too But yes, I need to get over 10,000' multiple times to get to either of those.

I figured a while back that my truck sees something like 80% of its mileage with either a trailer (most of the time) or a load in the bed. It wouldn't be a fun daily driver, in large part because it's 20' long and weighs nearly 8000 lbs empty.

Happy Carmore
Happy Carmore MegaDork
4/6/16 9:29 p.m.

I would say check Atlanta craigslist and auto trader.

Get a GRMer to check it out and fly down and finish the deal. Save thousands and get a rust free truck.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LAv0tszw9WRMyU14XCJATcBDfKSfdvPGhg4vJArCqS2qc3lbdcrX8HyavPhZII0I