1 2 3 ... 5
JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
6/25/15 11:41 a.m.

If you have been following along, I competed in $2014 Challenge with this '91 Q45.
Due to engine issues that began in the drags, I sold the car to another Challenger and returned home w/o the Q45.

Since then, I have searched for another and recently have been following this '90 Q45 in Denver via the thread on NICO.

It is a pristine example that only has 62k miles. It has a brake issue likely from sitting too long.
BUT...it has since been TOTALED DUE TO HAIL DAMAGE.

I had some email contact with the owner but he is taking the insurance payout and the car will go to Insurance Auction.
The seller has added this to the NICO thread:

I'll update this afternoon when I have confirmation of where it's headed.
At this point in time I think it's...
https://www.manheim.com/locations/KLOD/events?WT.svl=loc_nav_locmenu

and here is the link to the TRA (Total Resource Auctions) auction site...
https://www.traauctions.com/TRAPortal/traportal.aspx#page=Locations;view=InitialState;locid=2003;WT.svl=loc_events_trax_lk

It's not listed yet, since it's not in their possession yet.

If this car ends up at this auction, how can I, a non-car dealer buy this?
Is anyone in Denver to assist?

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/25/15 12:16 p.m.

too late to see if he's willing to buy it back from insurance co and sell it to you for a couple hundred more than the buyout?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
6/25/15 12:24 p.m.
patgizz wrote: too late to see if he's willing to buy it back from insurance co and sell it to you for a couple hundred more than the buyout?

That was my initial offer to him upon hearing of the hail damage. All he has written back via email is that the car is going to auction. I have re-emailed to him expressing his ability to make even more money on the car if he keeps it. I have yet to hear back but I fear he is just trying to wash his hands of the whole experience.

EDIT: owner further clarified that the delta in price to keep the car was $1,800. I had offered even less than that for the car before the hail damage was known (but the car still was undrivable due to brake issues.)

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
8/3/15 9:08 p.m.

Auction was today.
BOUGHT!

We'll see all yous bitches in Gainesville!

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
8/4/15 6:20 a.m.

HahahahhhhhhahahahahahhahahahhHhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahaahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahaha

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
8/4/15 6:45 a.m.

I guess you decided not to make it a surprise....

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
8/4/15 7:06 a.m.

Last night with the laptop in front of the TV, I could not contain my excitement.
It's like birthday and Christmas combined!

Thanks the heads up on entries. I'll get it done when I get back to the desk.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Reader
8/4/15 7:18 a.m.

Nice!!!

I cant express how gitty I felt when I saw that thing stage up in the burnout box.

Tom Suddard
8/4/15 7:47 a.m.

Just got word from the cheerleaders: they can't wait to see it.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/4/15 9:11 a.m.

I'm very excited to see this car in action!

here are some stock specs lined up against my barge 750iL. Most are from wikipedia, and I see specs sometimes differently slightly from other sources. but probably close. I can't believe how evenly these cars are matched (except for the original MSRP...), it should be an awesome time!

• length BMW 193 in, Q 200 in
  • width BMW 72.6 in, Q 71.9 in
  • height BMW 56.5 in, Q56.3 in
  • weight BMW 4120 lbs, Q 3950 lbs
  • wheelbase BMW 116 in, Q 113.2 in
  • layout BMW FERWD, Q FERWD
  • transmission BMW 4 speed auto, Q 4 speed auto
  • year of manufacture BMW 1990, Q 1990
  • differential BMW clutch pack LSD, Q viscous LSD
  • horsepower BMW 296, Q 278
  • torque BMW 330, Q 292
  • displacement BMW 5.0L, Q 4.5L
  • exterior color BMW white, Q white
  • original 1990 base MSRP BMW $74,000, Q $38,000
  • original MSRP in 2015 dollars BMW $135,113, Q $69,382
  • depreciation needed to get to the challenge BMW $133,098, Q $67,367

This should be a good dance, queue up some Freddie

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
8/4/15 10:36 a.m.

Awesome.

I will use this great song that I heard on XM today as representative of my enthusiasm.
...ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long

Played at anything less than 11 will be seen as a sign of disrespect!

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
8/4/15 10:52 a.m.

Nice! You probably paid less at auction than it will cost you to put it on the transporter.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
8/4/15 8:37 p.m.
pimpm3 wrote: Sign up soon there are only 6 spots left for the General Tires Challenge.

My registration is completed!
I was #14. The General Tire Abuse Session and Competition is limited to the first 20 so there are still 6 spots left.

As a side note, once registered, I could view a list of other competitors and there is a Sean Wagoner from Wayne, OH. This town is about a hour away from me and I am sad to say I do not know who the guy is. If it is you or you are reading this contact me at jwelsh02 (A) yahoo.com

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
8/4/15 8:47 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: Awesome. I will use this great song that I heard on XM today as representative of my enthusiasm. ...ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long Played at anything less than 11 will be seen as a sign of disrespect!

Dude, used to run that song at 11 while doing my Ronnie sox impression between stoplights in high scool. That song, whrn mixed with fuel and nitrous purge fumes, takes me back to a whole nother life. Hell, the smells and sounds came right back about ten seconds in. Ain't heard it in years.

Thank you, and good luck at the challenge.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
8/4/15 9:06 p.m.

I had a very busy day today and though I did get to add a few quips here, written from my phone, I had more to say.

In reply to rcutclif:

The numbers you pulled are quite impressive and a cool comparison.
I am very surprised that the Q45 is actually longer than the 750iL, after all, that letter L stands for something like limo or long. Not just longer but 7" longer (more than half a foot.)
length BMW 193 in, Q 200 in

As for the horsepower: BMW 296, Q 278
At the time of the Q45 launch, in Japan there was an additional tax for cars that put out more than 280 hp. It is pretty common belief that the Q45 was actually delivering 300 hp but was fictitiously rated at 278 hp or 2 hp less than the legal limit. Additionally, a $200 ECU reflash (which we will have) will add another 40 hp.
But..you're stripping weight and I will arrive with full stock interior.

At only 68k miles, this could possible be the cleanest '90 Q45 interior in the whole US (at any price.)
The insurance payout to the owner that suffered the hail damage was $5,025
His picture:

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
8/4/15 9:28 p.m.
pimpm3 wrote: I guess you decided not to make it a surprise....

A lot of my excitement comes from reading the BMW 750iL build thread so I went over there last night and called him out a little and taunting him with The Battle of The Big Girls

Of course, that was just a "working title" and after giving it some further thought during my day of mostly driving I came to the realization that maybe that name is a little too limiting. Perhaps another name could more exemplify the rivalry while still including others to join in. So, with further thought, I now have happened onto the name of:

"The Aristocrats" Class

A little competition within the competition. I will supply a trophy/award.

This class will be open to any "Premier Model" or "Premier Brand" with less than true sporting intentions aka: The Luxury Class.
Examples: this would not include BMW 3-series (entry lux model) but could include 5 series.
Do we have anyone bringing a Jaguar?
How about a Lincoln Mark 8? (a vehicle I highly considered myself.)

The name "The Aristocrats" should intentionally invoke images from the movie of the same name. A movie so vile and R rated with individual acts of perversion, SO profound and disgusting, that decorum prohibits listing them here. You will have to search it yourself since there is no way to portray it in a "family friendly" way.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
8/4/15 9:49 p.m.

Once bitten, twice bitten again

Of course I have broken more cars at the challenge than about anyone, 2 out of seven drove onto the trailer and one of those was knocking

Tom Suddard
8/4/15 9:53 p.m.

I'd make fun of you some more for doing this again, but I just bought another giant old Mercedes after my first one failed catastrophically.

This sounds like the class for me.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
8/4/15 10:14 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Once bitten, twice bitten again Of course I have broken more cars at the challenge than about anyone, 2 out of seven drove onto the trailer and one of those was knocking

A chance at redemption. To shoot for potential not quite realized.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/4/15 10:53 p.m.

This keeps getting better and better!

Re: length - we will have to see side by side, but the BMW wheelbase is longer by a hair, so it must be your front overhang?

Re: hp - interesting. In America, I think both the 750il and the q45 got hit with the gas guzzler tax, but somehow the ls400 escaped it.

Re: weight - I have to drop some lbs to get down to your svelte 3950 it seems!

Also, if anyone else joins the aristocrat class, I'll gladly volunteer to track down similar specs of all competitors and put them in a table.

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
8/5/15 1:04 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote:
pimpm3 wrote: I guess you decided not to make it a surprise....
A lot of my excitement comes from reading the BMW 750iL build thread so I went over there last night and called him out a little and taunting him with The Battle of The Big Girls Of course, that was just a "working title" and after giving it some further thought during my day of mostly driving I came to the realization that maybe that name is a little too limiting. Perhaps another name could more exemplify the rivalry while still including others to join in. So, with further thought, I now have happened onto the name of: #"The Aristocrat" Class A little competition within the competition. I will supply a trophy/award. This class will be open to any "Premier Model" or "Premier Brand" with less than true sporting intentions aka: The Luxury Class. Examples: this would not include BMW 3-series (entry lux model) but could include 5 series. Do we have anyone bringing a Jaguar? How about a Lincoln Mark 8? (a vehicle I highly considered myself.) The name "The Aristocrat" should intentionally invoke images from the movie of the same name. A movie so vile and R rated with individual acts of perversion, SO profound and disgusting, that decorum prohibits listing them here. You will have to search it yourself since there is no way to portray it in a "family friendly" way.

Sounds like a good class for my Mark VII.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
8/5/15 6:22 a.m.

Very cool man. That's a great looking car. What did you pay for it?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
8/5/15 6:49 a.m.

$900 for car. $250 in auction fees.

As for the great looking, some of you have asked about the hail damage. The auction photos were poor at showing any of the hail damage. I do have these two hi-res pictures from the original owner. These are photos that he took in an attempt to bolster his case with State Farm in getting an Insurance payout. He claims that even these photos do a poor job of showing the actual damage.
I suspect a net result that the GRM magazine photos will not be large enough to show the damage!

To paraphrase the situation. This car was garage stored all it's life, owned by an older gentleman who also had a Merc E55. The car was left to the son who had the car listed for sale. While selling the car, he was keeping it stored at a paid storage facility; outdoors. While at that facility, the hail hit. These pictures were taken at that storage lot.

The son received a $5,025 payout from State Farm. The appraiser stated there was over $7,000 worth of hail damage repair needed. A month and a half later, the car auctioned for 18% of that payout!

Tom Suddard
8/5/15 8:00 a.m.

FWIW, My Benz is 8 inches longer than your Q ship.

Is that worth any points?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/5/15 8:18 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: As a side note, once registered, I could view a list of other competitors and there is a Sean Wagoner from Wayne, OH.

That name sounds familiar, I think he has rallycrossed with us before.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5qaT3z9Xeu6z3nVAaiFcpO5iuMSK2INidWvl6qStEiuLxed2P4FZX4aPOBdgKqRE