1 ... 3 4 5
JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/27/15 9:02 a.m.

Autocross today.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
9/27/15 10:01 a.m.

All this testing is making me nervous. ..

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/27/15 10:31 a.m.

I love the number! That is awesome!

Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon UltraDork
9/27/15 6:54 p.m.

It's quite the autocrosser!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/27/15 7:25 p.m.
Esoteric Nixon wrote: It's quite the autocrosser!

You're quite the autocrosser.

It is often know that a borrowed car is a fast car and you proved it again today by beating me in my own car.

Compared to your Olds Cruiser wagon, you saw The Q as small.
Compared to my Miata, I saw The Q as huge.

Pictures to follow.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
9/27/15 7:44 p.m.

Can't wait to see it next month.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/27/15 8:02 p.m.

Photo diary:

I am declaring today a GRM Trifecta.
Autox, JY, Car Show all in the same day!

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
9/27/15 8:33 p.m.

Lakeland Community College? I had a few friends from the Misery Bay region out there running today.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/27/15 8:38 p.m.

More of the story.
The original plan was for me to run The Q and Mr. Nixon to bring his Olds Wagon (as seen in full page spread of this month's issue of GRM.) Late yesterday he informed me that the wagon was down but he would come out anyway to spectate. To hell with that, I offered The Q as a two driver car.
I was planning to register as #8 so I registered Mr. Nixon as #81. Actually, when asked at registration what number I wanted, I answered, "I'll take them ALL, but put me down as 8"

As a two driver car, we sometimes showed 8
(Mr. Nixon in the beard)
And other times showed 81

I will say, in a two driver car, the power seat presets are a nice feature. Open door, hit preset and seat and tilt wheel move right to where you want them. Try that in your Orange Miata!

The course was difficult (a lesser person would complain that it was poorly laid out) and not really favorable to large or large hp. I am not kidding when I say that more than 33% of all runs ended in DNF's (I personally had 2 out of 5).
I'll post results when available.

I am sure we had the heaviest car their at 4,000#'s, the longest wheelbase of any car their, and were the cheapest of any car their. I will also argue that we had the most fun of anyone there.
As shown at today's event, I have less than $2k into the car and that includes the tires and brakes that The Challenge does not make me count. About $1500 by Challenge standards.

In paddock I saw more than one person walk around to the rear of the car to read the badge because they had no idea what it was. As Mr Nixon was driving, I stood with the spectators and the comments were great. Most common statement was, "is it really stock?" and "no way that is a stock muffler." My answer to that was that the muffler is 2/3rds stock in that I removed 1 of the 3 mufflers but what remains is all stock! It really does sing a good song at full throttle.

We were not the fastest FS stock car but as I mentioned above, Mr. Nixon was faster than I was.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
9/27/15 8:38 p.m.

Man, you guys are all in the test 'n' tune stage, my car isn't even running yet. I am so getting smoked at the challenge...

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/27/15 8:40 p.m.
Nitroracer wrote: Lakeland Community College? I had a few friends from the Misery Bay region out there running today.

Correct. I will also bet that your friends had AT LEAST one DNF.

5 runs of about 60+ seconds (if the run counted.)

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/27/15 8:42 p.m.
sethmeister4 wrote: Man, you guys are all in the test 'n' tune stage, my car isn't even running yet. I am so getting smoked at the challenge...

The Q put down 10 autox runs today without a wimper! I couldn't be happier.

Of course, at this rate, when I arrive in Gainesville my Bridgestone RE71R's will have about 2500 road miles on them, 10 autox passes and 1 drag strip pass, but...I hope to get to The Drags again this weds night.

WillrunifChased
WillrunifChased Reader
9/27/15 9:02 p.m.

From what I see the luxury class = the fun class.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/27/15 9:10 p.m.

I have one crappy video.
This video is from the start (a horrible start on a curve, going uphill) which leads into a ridiculously tight left turn. This turn was so bad that the morning heat, completely tore up the asphalt to rubble. So bad, that the course was altered for the afternoon heat.

It is not until the end of the video that you can briefly hear The Q get up to song. When this happens notice how far the car is from the camera but you can still hear it quite well.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/YvwZQ2rHu00

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/27/15 9:16 p.m.
WillrunifChased wrote: From what I see the luxury class = the fun class.

I have a Miata. To see another Miata do well at exactly what God and Mazda intended it to do is one thing.
The Miata is like the pretty, skinny girl.

But, to take a new romp with one of the big girls and perform acts that really seem to be against the rules of nature and good judgement had proved to a darn good time.

I also notice that people like to watch it happen. They say they don't...but they do!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/27/15 9:22 p.m.

While at the car show, I was looking over a Miata with a LS1. Flat black, no outward signs of what lurks within. The owner was taking to another guy while I was looking. I hear their conversation change to some other builds and the Miata owners says, "yeah, I built that one for The GRM Challenge." At that point, I butt in with, "No E36 M3, I'm on the way home from an Autox with my Challenger for this year."

It was GRM board's, SofaKing!
I regret that I did not get a picture of his Miata but here is the photo he has up on his profile.
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/10444/

Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon UltraDork
9/28/15 8:32 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote:
Esoteric Nixon wrote: It's quite the autocrosser!
You're quite the autocrosser. It is often know that a borrowed car is a fast car and you proved it again today by beating me in my own car. Compared to your Olds Cruiser wagon, you saw The Q as small. Compared to my Miata, I saw The Q as huge. Pictures to follow.

It was a definite step-down mass-wise, but a definite step up tech and refinement-wise. It took some getting used to, but I finally got it at the end! Thanks again so much John for the opportunity to live the life of the Stig's aristocratic brother, only if just for one day. I had a blast.

Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon UltraDork
9/28/15 8:34 a.m.

Also, re: those Bridgestone RE71R's, I may need to suspend my whitewall ideology and get a set of those on Impala SS wheels for the wagon!

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
a2EOFeZDXxwKuX9Uw03fnB8zmIFWZsapuTN9Gcq6zu7kTup8GYvqaKrhRf33ffsb