Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/31/08 8:56 p.m.

As some of you may have noticed, the site was down several hours Saturday. Surprisingly, I didn't do it.

Turns out a transformer at the data center that stores the GRM server caught fire. The server itself was fine, but they cut all the power for hours while they put out the blaze.

Fire. As if I didn't have enough problems to solve already. :nice:

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
5/31/08 9:01 p.m.

Thank goodness! I thought it was something I'd done.

Missed ya. Hope things will be back to normal soon.

redbonechkn
redbonechkn New Reader
5/31/08 9:10 p.m.

So the pic of the car on fire for a sever error is accurate:grin:

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/31/08 9:13 p.m.

Would that be why I've been seeing this? I would think so, except that I'm continuing to struggle with it as I write.

Proxy Error The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server. The proxy server could not handle the request GET /forum/grm/.

Reason: Error reading from remote server

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
5/31/08 9:14 p.m.

remind me of when i say the fire dept. do a practice burn on a camero, watching the alloys glow cheery bomb red was sweet

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/31/08 9:17 p.m.

Dyintorace, yup, that's why.

I still don't think it's back 100%. I don't know for sure but it feels like there's one server running and it's trying to handle all the load while they get the other ones back up.

Wowak
Wowak Dork
6/1/08 3:08 a.m.

www.grassrootsmotorsports.com is taking me to the Classic Motorsports site. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com is taking me here.

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 HalfDork
6/2/08 10:13 a.m.

Yay! we're back...

I was starting to get the shakes...

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/2/08 10:15 a.m.

Almost back. Some stuff still isn't turned on, and some stuff is pretty wobbly, but we're getting there.

GlennS
GlennS Reader
6/2/08 10:20 a.m.

thank god, was beginning to worry that some disaster had struck grm. Was going to check the news for reports of freak meteor hit/tidal wave/rogue hurricanes in Florida.

minimac
minimac Dork
6/2/08 10:28 a.m.

You mean this WASN'T Baxters fault? Damn texacans......

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/2/08 10:29 a.m.

You can blame it on me if you like. :nice:

minimac
minimac Dork
6/2/08 10:30 a.m.

I'm just thrilled someone else gets to take the hit for this- you must be too!

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/2/08 10:43 a.m.

That is the best excuse for a website outage I've ever heard. And yes, the burning car was karma.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
6/2/08 12:45 p.m.

"down for several hours Saturday"

This is the first time (Monday 6/2/08,12:40pm CST) I've been able to get on the site since Friday afternoon.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/2/08 12:47 p.m.

When I wrote that ( May 31, 2008 8:56 p.m. ) it was out several hours. Then it decided to go out for 36 more, or thereabouts.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
6/2/08 12:52 p.m.

Still having problems...when I navigate around the board, half the time I get this message:

Proxy Error The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server. The proxy server could not handle the request GET /forum/grm/i-should-have-known-that-burning-car-was-a-bad-ide/739/page1/.

Reason: Error reading from remote server

Jay
Jay HalfDork
6/2/08 12:52 p.m.

Wow, it must've been a big explosion. It knocked out a bunch of other websites that I visit too.

Oh noes, the internet is exploding! Run!

J

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/2/08 12:53 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: Still having problems...when I navigate around the board, half the time I get this message: Proxy Error The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server. The proxy server could not handle the request GET /forum/grm/i-should-have-known-that-burning-car-was-a-bad-ide/739/page1/. Reason: Error reading from remote server

Stuart, I responded to you in the other thread in which you mentioned it.

Jay, that does sound like the same one.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
6/2/08 12:55 p.m.

Baxter forgot to appease JoBu

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/2/08 1:11 p.m.

I found the problem.

Datacenters and transformers mix well..usually. We had one explode in a remote site. Talk about fun.

It always nice to know it isn't your problem.

Wowak
Wowak Dork
6/2/08 2:27 p.m.

right now www.grass---.com is giving me "site not configured."

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/2/08 2:28 p.m.

Good. I'm halfway to fixing it then.

That's why folks were getting logged out arbitrarily.

car39
car39 Reader
6/2/08 3:49 p.m.

Who is this Ar Bitrary, and why is he logging me off?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/2/08 3:51 p.m.

carguy, take a look at http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/tim-baxter-help-me-out-cookie-issues/690/page1/#post7934

If the fix hasn't taken for you yet, it should.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FyHUnuhOLuTngYRuW2TOJTt3zbOvPZlZMq5WhNMBfeb0GzcAPhz6BN0K5yVSniKz