1 2
dps214
dps214 HalfDork
4/13/21 9:31 p.m.

Are you running with the top down for a specific reason? Top up (bonus better aero and arguably slightly safer) plus camera mounted between the seats should result in at least tolerable sound quality even without an external mic. That's how I did it on my boxster (well hardtop and camera on the inside of the rear window but that should be functionally about the same) and there was a lot of wind noise but engine and tire noise were definitely there. Adding an external mic ran out to the rear bumper or stuffed down behind the passenger seat would be even better.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/13/21 10:34 p.m.

In reply to dps214 :

My excuse is lower center of gravity, but the reality is just because it was more fun.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/13/21 10:40 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to CAinCA :

Yeah, I didn't think the sound situation through and the entire driving portion was just wind going WHOOOOOOSH so I had to mute it. I'm looking into an external mic for the channel now.

That's basically what I got on my first video. Tons of wind noise. Tried over the exhaust. Got lots of Woooshhhhh (GTI turbo engine). Moved to dash, better, less wind. Moved to under hood. More exhaust note, a little more tire squeal.

4/14/21 10:01 a.m.

In reply to CAinCA :

Under the hood is a good idea! Now, where's the hood on this contraption... blush

Jcamper
Jcamper Reader
4/14/21 10:36 a.m.

Looks like you had fun, and it seems like a great stepping stone from track days. You drove carefully and intelligently, I really miss the sound though. 
Definitely some more time there with just getting into the curbing on the apexes. On the race track you need to really get up close to folks before expecting a point by, especially with folks that are running just a street type rearview mirror. Subscribed!

Jcamper

4/14/21 11:38 a.m.

In reply to Jcamper :

Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it! I hope to have everything fixed by the next event in July. I would like a better filming angle with data overlay, engine sound, and better driving by me. I haven't been on a track in two years and the brain fog/rust was real. I had some really good sectors that would have made my ideal time a 1:33, but I couldn't string them all together.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/14/21 1:07 p.m.

That CRX that wouldn't let you by was being an shiny happy person. I would be more than a little apprehensive closely following a car without any brake lights too. I hope you talked to them or  reported them for the tech violation.

4/14/21 4:02 p.m.
CAinCA said:

That CRX that wouldn't let you by was being an shiny happy person. I would be more than a little apprehensive closely following a car without any brake lights too. I hope you talked to them or  reported them for the tech violation.

I had a polite chat with one of the event organizers (and our run group's driving coach) about it, and he had a chat with them. They showed the brake lights worked in the paddock (and then it promptly stopped working in the third heat) and the driver seemed a little better after that. 

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/22 4:40 p.m.
CAinCA said:

Those look meaty. I'll be interested to hear how you like them. I'm currently running RS-4s but I'm interested in all of the 200TW options available these days.

Well this happened yesterday. 

Not a very happy Kuhmo customer right now.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/22 4:43 p.m.

But also this happened today:

Thanks to AAZCD for the hat tip! 

Going full bore on time trial and track days this season.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
on17a1xWnCpjN1OVNpueac43HRqTzbAnUIdof0IER0JeWl6VbL4lkcxONQX4EpCr