1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 ... 104
Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
5/20/23 2:37 p.m.
frenchyd said:

Speaking of that,  Elon musk's factory workers are making over $35/. Hr. 

All of them? You're not cherry-picking the facts are you?

Tesla Motors pays its employees an average of $24.59 an hour. Hourly pay at Tesla Motors ranges from an average of $17.45 to $36.68 an hour. Tesla Motors employees with the job title Tool and Die Maker make the most with an average hourly rate of $35.46, while employees with the title Automobile Service Advisor make the least with an average hourly rate of $17.80

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
5/20/23 2:42 p.m.

In reply to Opti :

Well said.   I Do agree with your conclusions.  
  If there are two improvements I'd like to see,   
  First fast justice.  Haul the   the  criminal into court ( yes 24/7 court)  to a jury of his peers. ( neighbors)   Pay them a living wage.    Make judgement immediately. 
    But jail only for violent offenders.

Civic duty for non violent crimes. Restitution as part of the sentence.  
     I think part of a sentence should include a job  paying a living wage, unless currently employed. 
   I'm sure the city,  county,  state, has a lot of entry level jobs 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
5/20/23 3:02 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

Thank you.  I saw a different set of numbers and wonder if that may have included the cost of managers or something?    The number I remember is $37.xx?  
  If I remember the CEO of GM  she was offering $16.00/ hr 

But even $17.45  is above the cost of living. If the employees don't think the wages are  fair,  perhaps a union ?  I've been where Tesla's Nevada and Texas factories are  and in general terms that is a decent wage.  Significantly above local wages. ( but to be fair it's been a while since I been there) 

I know that if those wages were offered here the jobs bs would probably be quickly filled.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
5/20/23 3:11 p.m.
racerfink said:

You realize stolen goods are paid for with increases in prices to the people who don't steal, right?

Do you assume I don't think there should be consequences for crime?  If so you are wrong.  Read further. 

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
5/20/23 4:20 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Here I go again down another Frenchyd rabbit hole, but whatever.

In reply to Boost_Crazy :

80% of American's live in or near a major city. 
  Big cities concentrate poverty into certain areas.  Which results in high crime.     

This is absolute crap. Being poor doesn't drive you to crime. Most poor people are not criminals. The majority of victims of crime are poor. It just so happens that the lifestyles/choices/stage of life of the poor often coincide with those of criminals, so they inhabit many of the same areas. The good news is for most, being poor is a temporary state of their lives, and they are not permanent residents. You have heard the phrase "crime doesn't pay?" It's more than just a slogan, crime is not an easy way to build wealth Vs. playing within the rules, so many criminals are poor. 

Arrest everyone breaking the law and you'd better hope you're never are followed by the police.  Regardless of how careful you are, you'll break a law within 25 minutes or sooner. 

Again with the binary choices. I challenge you to find one person- one- in this country of over 300 million- that thinks any and all crimes should result in jail sentences. Sure the average person might jaywalk, tear off their mattress tag, break the speed limit. But the average person is not going to break into a car or home, assault a random person, commit robbery, or worse. 

The reason some cities may go easy on crime,  is if you remove one person from the family. 50% of the guidance is gone, 50% of the income is gone,  & 50% of the support is gone.  

If a parent is willing to commit crimes and go to jail when they should be raising a child responsibly, there is a good bet that the guidance, income, and support wasn't happening anyway. And why would anyone blame the legal system for holding one responsible for their actions, when the individual doesn't care enough to eliminate that risk for themselves? 

If you want an iron clad guarantee that the children will grow up as criminals. Put them in the foster care system. 

My brother and sister went through the Forster care system until my Mom adopted them. They turned out just fine. While I agree that there is plenty of opportunity to fix the system, there is zero evidence that leaving children with a criminal parent while they continue to commit crimes would have a better outcome. 

We have hard working mothers working 5-6 jobs to take care of their kids because the husband is in jail. 

That sounds to me like the mother made a long list of choices that negatively impacted her life. Good for her for taking responsibility and doing what needs to be done. 

Most of the time those kids have no parental supervision.

So? The answer is to let Dad commit crimes by night and coach T-ball by day? What fantasy world are you imagining? 

That is reality. 
    Jails rarely "fix"  the problem. The most that can be hoped for is the violent ones are warehoused safely away 

Jails fix the problem 100% of the time. If the problem is John Doe commits crime against law abiding citizens and he goes to jail, guess what he can't do? It doesn't get any simpler than that. The problem here Frenchyd is that you and people like you care more about the consequences of John's actions than he does. So you want to remove the consequences, but the only real solution is for John to not commit the actions. You didn't help him, you just enabled him and hurt more innocent people. Even worse, you enabled would be Johns who otherwise wouldn't to follow his example if there were consequences. There is endless data to support that the softer on crime cities have been, the more crime they got. To bring this somewhat back on topic, there are organized criminals who commute to soft on crime cities. They literally carpool, so I guess it's not too bad. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/20/23 7:35 p.m.

Toyota thinks Hybrids are more viable than EVs right now.  It will change but this is the current state.

https://jalopnik.com/toyota-focusing-on-hybrids-not-electric-vehicles-1850440908?

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
5/20/23 9:12 p.m.
Boost_Crazy said:

Jails fix the problem 100% of the time. If the problem is John Doe commits crime against law abiding citizens and he goes to jail, guess what he can't do? It doesn't get any simpler than that.

The USA has the largest per capita prison population in the world, and not even by a small margin. If incarceration were the answer™, crime would drop off in the USA. Within a generation or so of the mass incarceration experiment kicking off the USA should be comparable to Singapore.

I agree it's an answer for violent crime, but we put a lot of people behind bars for some really inconsequential stuff. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
5/20/23 11:52 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Toyota wants to remain viable for as long as possible. They are 200 billion in debt and Several generations behind.  
  Their source of Electric cars is China and one of the 75+  Chinese manufacturers most  likely to go bankrupt. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
5/20/23 11:57 p.m.
Boost_Crazy said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Here I go again down another Frenchyd rabbit hole, but whatever.

In reply to Boost_Crazy :

80% of American's live in or near a major city. 
  Big cities concentrate poverty into certain areas.  Which results in high crime.     

This is absolute crap. Being poor doesn't drive you to crime. Most poor people are not criminals. The majority of victims of crime are poor. It just so happens that the lifestyles/choices/stage of life of the poor often coincide with those of criminals, so they inhabit many of the same areas. The good news is for most, being poor is a temporary state of their lives, and they are not permanent residents. You have heard the phrase "crime doesn't pay?" It's more than just a slogan, crime is not an easy way to build wealth Vs. playing within the rules, so many criminals are poor. 

Arrest everyone breaking the law and you'd better hope you're never are followed by the police.  Regardless of how careful you are, you'll break a law within 25 minutes or sooner. 

Again with the binary choices. I challenge you to find one person- one- in this country of over 300 million- that thinks any and all crimes should result in jail sentences. Sure the average person might jaywalk, tear off their mattress tag, break the speed limit. But the average person is not going to break into a car or home, assault a random person, commit robbery, or worse. 

The reason some cities may go easy on crime,  is if you remove one person from the family. 50% of the guidance is gone, 50% of the income is gone,  & 50% of the support is gone.  

If a parent is willing to commit crimes and go to jail when they should be raising a child responsibly, there is a good bet that the guidance, income, and support wasn't happening anyway. And why would anyone blame the legal system for holding one responsible for their actions, when the individual doesn't care enough to eliminate that risk for themselves? 

If you want an iron clad guarantee that the children will grow up as criminals. Put them in the foster care system. 

My brother and sister went through the Forster care system until my Mom adopted them. They turned out just fine. While I agree that there is plenty of opportunity to fix the system, there is zero evidence that leaving children with a criminal parent while they continue to commit crimes would have a better outcome. 

We have hard working mothers working 5-6 jobs to take care of their kids because the husband is in jail. 

That sounds to me like the mother made a long list of choices that negatively impacted her life. Good for her for taking responsibility and doing what needs to be done. 

Most of the time those kids have no parental supervision.

So? The answer is to let Dad commit crimes by night and coach T-ball by day? What fantasy world are you imagining? 

That is reality. 
    Jails rarely "fix"  the problem. The most that can be hoped for is the violent ones are warehoused safely away 

Jails fix the problem 100% of the time. If the problem is John Doe commits crime against law abiding citizens and he goes to jail, guess what he can't do? It doesn't get any simpler than that. The problem here Frenchyd is that you and people like you care more about the consequences of John's actions than he does. So you want to remove the consequences, but the only real solution is for John to not commit the actions. You didn't help him, you just enabled him and hurt more innocent people. Even worse, you enabled would be Johns who otherwise wouldn't to follow his example if there were consequences. There is endless data to support that the softer on crime cities have been, the more crime they got. To bring this somewhat back on topic, there are organized criminals who commute to soft on crime cities. They literally carpool, so I guess it's not too bad. 

If Jails worked why do so many criminals repeat their crime?   
      We spend way too much on jails and not enough stopping crime in the first place.  
If you want to stop crime. Figure out a way to return non violent criminals to be a productive member of society after they get out. 

Other countries have, maybe we should see what works. 

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
5/21/23 1:46 a.m.

In reply to BAMF :

Boost_Crazy said:

Jails fix the problem 100% of the time. If the problem is John Doe commits crime against law abiding citizens and he goes to jail, guess what he can't do? It doesn't get any simpler than that.

The USA has the largest per capita prison population in the world, and not even by a small margin. If incarceration were the answer™, crime would drop off in the USA. Within a generation or so of the mass incarceration experiment kicking off the USA should be comparable to Singapore.

I agree it's an answer for violent crime, but we put a lot of people behind bars for some really inconsequential stuff. 

It was working. Crime rates have dropped tremendously since the '90's, when we started getting tougher on crime. We have been reversing that trend, especially with property crime, and the results are predictable. You say we have too many people in prison, I say that just means that we have too many people choosing to commit crimes. 

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
5/21/23 9:00 a.m.
frenchyd said:
racerfink said:

You realize stolen goods are paid for with increases in prices to the people who don't steal, right?

Do you assume I don't think there should be consequences for crime?  If so you are wrong.  Read further. 

I've said it once, and I'll say it again...  You truly have a dizzying intellect.

How do you feel about Aristotle, Plato, and Socrates?

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
5/21/23 9:48 a.m.
Boost_Crazy said:

In reply to BAMF :

Boost_Crazy said:

The USA has the largest per capita prison population in the world, and not even by a small margin. If incarceration were the answer™, crime would drop off in the USA. Within a generation or so of the mass incarceration experiment kicking off the USA should be comparable to Singapore.

It was working. Crime rates have dropped tremendously since the '90's, when we started getting tougher on crime. We have been reversing that trend, especially with property crime, and the results are predictable. You say we have too many people in prison, I say that just means that we have too many people choosing to commit crimes. 

Before you give prisons too much credit for the drop in the crime rate you might take a look at the average age.  
     America is getting older.    Old people tend not to commit crimes. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
5/21/23 10:04 a.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

Toyota thinks Hybrids are more viable than EVs right now.  It will change but this is the current state.

https://jalopnik.com/toyota-focusing-on-hybrids-not-electric-vehicles-1850440908?

They are finding plenty of ways to extract lithium in expensively. In large volume.  
 Aside from that sodium Aluminum batteries are already a viable alternative.    Range will be reduced slightly but battery life will go up significantly.  
  CATL IS NOW PROPOSING A SODIUM LITHIUM  battery which will dramatically reduce costs  down to as low as $5000 for a battery pack. 
     Range will be around 500 k    Still more than enough for typical usage  average daily trip is under 60 k 
    Those are common materials. And more is being discovered every month. 

Opti
Opti SuperDork
5/21/23 10:11 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Without looking into the subject at all my knee jerk logical reaction to this is survivorship bias.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/21/23 9:50 p.m.

The countries with some of the lowest crime rates are really tough on crime.  Not prosecuting or penalizing criminals at all actually encourages crime.  Take a look around the big cities on either cost for evidence of this.  If you want people in big cities to use mass transit, you have to fix this problem and huge detractor first.  You can argue all the reasons for crime you want.  That doesn't fix the problem.  When someone is having a heart attack do you lecture them on diet and exercise or address the immediate life threatening issue?  Crime is a like a heart attack or gushing wound if you want to fix anything else in a crowded city.  If you don't fix that anything else you want to address doesn't really matter.  Sure education, economic opportunity, and basic civics are all big issues.  You can pontificate all you want about those, but until rampant crime is curtailed you still live in a E36 M3 hole. So mass transit in the US right now, is pretty much a non-starter for the majority.  No one even needs to vote on it.  The public voted with their $$$ already and said no. 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/21/23 11:13 p.m.

I thought I saw a news show about bullet trains somewhere where they were like land ferries and people traveled with their car parked on its own rail car. Which kind defeats the whole California high speed train thing.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
5/22/23 7:49 a.m.

I have been watching this train wreck of a thread for a while, but have to jump back in for this one. 

Boost_Crazy said:

The problem is crime.  Jails do not prevent crime.  They discourage some, but not others.  They impact some of those that are not discouraged but are caught, but again, only after a crime takes place.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/22/23 9:41 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Disagree. They prevent that person from committing more crimes. Considering that somewhere around 70% of violent crimes are committed by repeat offenders, keeping them locked up would prevent their next crime.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
5/22/23 9:52 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

I have been watching this train wreck of a thread for a while, but have to jump back in for this one. 

Boost_Crazy said:

The problem is crime.  Jails do not prevent crime.  They discourage some, but not others.  They impact some of those that are not discouraged but are caught, but again, only after a crime takes place.

Being soft on crime also teaches the criminals that there are no real consequences for their actions. If they are caught breaking the law and are immediately released, what is preventing them from re-offending?

If every time they commit a crime and are caught, they serve time, eventually they will realize that the juice is not worth the squeeze. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
5/22/23 9:56 a.m.
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) said:
ProDarwin said:

Boost_Crazy said:

Being soft on crime also teaches the criminals that there are no real consequences for their actions. If they are caught breaking the law and are immediately released, what is preventing them from re-offending?

If every time they commit a crime and are caught, they serve time, eventually they will realize that the juice is not worth the squeeze. 

Eventually, maybe.  I am not saying jails aren't necessary or there should be no consequences.  But the whole "Jails fix the problem 100% of the time" statement is absurd.  Sure, if you never release anyone, it will eliminate repeat offenses (from those that are caught).  There will still be crime.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/22/23 10:14 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

you're cherry picking the comment. Here's the full context:

In that case, and exactly what I stated, that statement is correct. keeping repeat offenders in jail prevents them from committing repeat offenses. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
5/22/23 10:19 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

To the best I can decipher the Boost/Frenchy discussion/train-wreck (seriously, the formatting of these posts is insane), the original discussion was just "crime".  In that context, no, Jails do not fix the problem 100% of time. 

You could say that quote from Boost is a different set of goalposts all together.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/22/23 10:19 a.m.
ProDarwin said:
ProDarwin said:

Boost_Crazy said:

Eventually, maybe.  I am not saying jails aren't necessary or there should be no consequences.  But the whole "Jails fix the problem 100% of the time" statement is absurd.  Sure, if you never release anyone, it will eliminate repeat offenses.  There will still be crime.

And there are numerous studies that have shown harsher sentences do not deter crime. 

https://www.vera.org/news/research-shows-that-long-prison-sentences-dont-actually-improve-safety#:~:text=A%202021%20meta%2Danalysis%20of,because%20incarceration%20destabilizes%20people's%20lives.

https://thenevadaindependent.com/article/fact-brief-does-increasing-the-penalties-for-a-crime-reduce-the-incidence-of-that-crime

https://www.ojp.gov/pdffiles1/nij/247350.pdf

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20180514-do-long-prison-sentences-deter-crime

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/22/23 10:54 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

I gave up on trying to follow that

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
5/22/23 11:32 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

Boost_Crazy said:

Jail is advanced training for criminals. 
 It costs about the same as college does and trains novices how to be better at breaking and entering.  
   If going to jail would discourage criminals from Re offending I'd support it.   
       But it does just the opposite.  Once you have a criminal record  it's nearly impossible to find a decent job so you can  live a decent life . 
      Rather than put non violent criminals in Jail ( which costs the tax payers dearly). Have them get a job and use the income from that job to make restitution. Ankle monitor to keep track of them. If they cut the monitor off ----mandatory Jail.   

1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 ... 104

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
oU0Yj7uskuHzY3eUKR9twe7IvYrEkXaJmSOe5fod2NqQrzdFZItdbPM10dp418Oc