tjbell
tjbell Reader
9/25/14 3:01 p.m.

I am so fed up with spending money making my 2004 9-5 reliable it is killing me. 310$ for a fuel pump... REALLY? DI cassette 390$... I would rather buy a non euro car and spend this money on mods/events/track days. when is enough enough? now i need a heater core. for 99.50$. I give up! Is now the time to throw in the towel ? had it for 3 years and 60k miles

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/25/14 3:09 p.m.

I loathe doing most heating cores

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
9/25/14 3:09 p.m.

That's a thing no one can answer but yourself. My rule of thumb is if the car costs me 6 car payments worth over 6 months, it's time to lose it. My DSM is the only one to make it that far, the MINI is damn near there... I still have to make the decision if I'm putting a motor in it or not. It depends on just how frustrated you get with it. When the motor launched in the Talon, and the clutch master had let go, eating the clutch itself, and it was discovered the previously repaired strut towers were now rotten again- it was time to cash in. I guess if that's all the money you've spent for 60k miles you've done pretty damned well IMO.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/25/14 3:34 p.m.

I've found when it rains, it pours. When it's pouring, it's tough to predict when the rain will stop :-)

In the past few weeks, I've done motor mounts and a new drive axle on our Odyssey, and this weekend I get to replace the muffler on the RAV4. Averaged over time, it's still better than a payment, but some months it sure doesn't feel like it.

I've yet to develop an equation for when to cut bait, but my current theory is when it's worth about $3k, that's a good time to get rid of it. From my experience, selling a $1.5k vehicle is much tougher than a $3k one. I had a tough time selling my truck for 1.5k, and it ran and drove perfectly, 4WD was perfect, and had recent brake and fuel lines, fuel pump, etc.

People who shop for the $3k car expect to fix some things, and generally have the money to do so. When someone's shopping in the $1-2k range, they can't afford anything to go wrong with it, so they're extremely picky about what they buy. Just my experience...

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
9/25/14 3:43 p.m.

In reply to tjbell: Where are you buying your SAAB parts?

tjbell
tjbell Reader
9/25/14 3:55 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift:

not on this car. Its a 45 minute ordeal, remove glove box, remove one stepper motor, remove coolant pipes, remove four bolts, remove heater core. reverse to install

In reply to HappyAndy:

Eeuroparts, genuinesaab, ebay,

I assume I can sell it for 2500$ and get another 2500$ car.... Miata or crown vic are my two current obsessions.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
9/25/14 4:06 p.m.

At least it's not an Audi. Keep telling yourself that.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
9/25/14 9:07 p.m.
Miata or crown vic are my two current obsessions.

Wow................talk about the opposite ends of the spectrum.

Raze
Raze UltraDork
9/25/14 9:32 p.m.
Feedyurhed wrote:

Don't act surprised, they're both trifecta cars...

Storz
Storz Dork
9/26/14 6:10 a.m.

Of the 27 cars that I've had, my 2001 9-5 had the absolute worst reliability of any of them and is the only car I've had that left me stranded to where I had to call a tow truck, twice.

I've had Audis, BMWs, Land Rover etc and none were as bad as the Saab.

How many miles on your Saab?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
9/26/14 6:58 a.m.
Raze wrote:
Feedyurhed wrote:
Don't act surprised, they're both trifecta cars...

Trifecta cars or not, it's like cross shopping a Hobie cat and the QE2.

I get the Panther obsession, I worked on the design of the 02 front suspension. They are great cars for what they are, but what they are not is sporty.

tjbell
tjbell Reader
9/26/14 7:26 a.m.

In reply to Storz:

202k miles. never left me stranded but close a few times. I just cant fathom spending any more money on a 2500$ car

Storz
Storz Dork
9/26/14 7:31 a.m.
tjbell wrote: In reply to Storz: 202k miles. never left me stranded but close a few times. I just cant fathom spending any more money on a 2500$ car

Ditching it is the right move, they are nice enough when they work but mine was an endless money pit as well. When the water pump let go last month it was the straw that broke the camels back. I now have a 330i ZHP and its 10x the car the Saab ever was.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/26/14 8:30 a.m.

Im kinda in that same mode with my 99 G20. I think though that it made it through the window, and is now worth so little to anyone else, that its worth it to me to keep it on the road. 185k and counting, and still doing daily commuting. In the last few months, shes gotten new front struts, new motor mounts, and a slew of new rubber bushings. She also needs me to replace a hairline-cracked radiator, torn cv boots, failed subframe bushings, cracked power steering line, cracked oil cooler line, and Im pretty sure I have a failed ball joint...not to mention regular stuff like she needs pads and a tune up.

That said, all of that is still cheaper in the long run than a new-to-me DD, or gulp a car payment (on the horizon Im afraid). This car still runs like a top, and I actaully REALLY love driving it. Its more than an economics equation, my heart is still in this car, and shes waaaay down the depreciation curve to be worth much in trade. I will keep her running as long as I can, this is my vow.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/26/14 9:20 a.m.

That sucks man, my 03 9-5 has been the most reliable car I have ever had, including Honda's and Toyota's. It does sound like you are getting screwed on parts prices though but if you done then let it go.

Mine has @ 212K on it and I still like driving it and my thought is that if I get rid of it and get another cheap car to replace it I am going to be pouring money into the new one to fix what is wrong where as with mine I already know the history.

tjbell
tjbell Reader
9/26/14 9:42 a.m.

In reply to Storz:

I would seriously HATE to do another saab 9-5 waterpump, Used to work at a euro indie shop and I am not a fan.

In reply to Rusted_Busted_Spit:

I know the history completely of this car, reciepts since new but its just taking its toll on parts cost, it is reliable, but if I need to drop 500$ into it every month or two

NordicSaab
NordicSaab New Reader
9/26/14 9:49 a.m.
tjbell wrote: I am so fed up with spending money making my 2004 9-5 reliable it is killing me. 310$ for a fuel pump... REALLY? DI cassette 390$... I would rather buy a non euro car and spend this money on mods/events/track days. when is enough enough? now i need a heater core. for 99.50$. I give up! Is now the time to throw in the towel ? had it for 3 years and 60k miles

Pretty sure I have a new heater core in my garge from a 9-3 that will interchange. if you want it I can find the part number and send it to you for the price of shipping. I dint need it anymore

Justin

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
9/26/14 10:02 a.m.

I think some of it is when you just don't want to work on it anymore. I'm kinda at that point with my TDI. The car has generally been reliable (incredibly so by VAG standards) but I've had the car for over 10 years now and the only person to ever turn a wrench on it has been me. I'm tired and simply don't have the enthusiasm for wrenching I once did.

rotard
rotard Dork
9/26/14 10:03 a.m.

If the car is pissing you off, it's time to move on if you can afford it.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
9/26/14 11:09 a.m.

I wrenched on SAABS for about 4 years... I wouldn't own a GM SAAB... not sure I'd own ANY SAAB these days...

tjbell
tjbell Reader
9/26/14 2:12 p.m.
Ian F wrote: I think some of it is when you just don't want to work on it anymore. I'm kinda at that point with my TDI. The car has generally been reliable (incredibly so by VAG standards) but I've had the car for over 10 years now and the only person to ever turn a wrench on it has been me. I'm tired and simply don't have the enthusiasm for wrenching I once did.

I think you hit the nail on the head

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7MCbfRu0JGSN7QXZdZpI5rXF8KAMdREgYW6RopGJbB0qrknS6Ax5P5sFiEb1Yukd