1 2 3 ... 5
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/15/16 7:45 p.m.

I have been hunting for a T56 for a long time. They are really pricey. I figure the only way I'm gonna find one is to buy it in a car from someone who doesn't know what a T56 is. So, I regularly search for cars with manuals under a certain price point.

I live in rural South GA, and there is never anything of interest here. If it ain't a truck, it ain't. But I still look locally because, well it's local.

So today I type "manual" in CL. An RX8 pops up for $1200 with a "bad transmission". $1200? I gotta call, even if it's a scam.

Hmmm... The ad even had a name and an actual phone number.

I called, and chatted. He claimed it had no accidents, no rust, a nice interior, and that it "ran when parked". I asked him where the car was, and he said Lee Co GA. Lee County? Where?

Turns out it was 9.2 miles from where I was standing. I told him Id be there in 10 minutes.

When I got there, he had the hood open. Charging the battery. Dead as a doornail. But the car looked good. No rust, no dents. Nice interior, including a stereo. Shifter felt good. Oversized brakes. Not a great paint job, and it had some after market goofy looking wing. Decent wheels and tires.

I couldn't resist. I said, "So, how much do you want? $1200?" He said, "Well, I just dropped the price on FaceBook to $1000". This guy doesn't seem to understand much about negotiating. I asked him if he'd take $800 cash. We settled on $900. I hadn't even heard the engine run. Didn't care.

After shaking hands and handing him a deposit, I turned the key again, and it fired up! No smoke, revved great, ran smooth, no weird noises. Went to slip it in gear and got nothing but grinding. It felt like a clutch. I am almost certain the clutch is shot, and the trans is fine.

So, it appears that I bought a perfectly good running RX8 that needs a clutch for $900.

The funniest part is that I haven't even unloaded from my trailer the RX7 I bought yesterday!

I'm stoked. See you at the Challenge!

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/15/16 7:47 p.m.

Here's hoping nothing more than clutch. Nice get.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/16 8:10 p.m.

I hate you.

fireball123
fireball123 New Reader
5/15/16 8:19 p.m.

show us some pics

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
5/15/16 8:20 p.m.

Well done!

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/16 8:24 p.m.

Probably a bad clutch master or slave. I bet if you started in gear, it would putter along just fine.

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/15/16 8:27 p.m.

It might be even simpler. Check the clutch pedal bracket. I even believe those were a recall.

EDIT: And yes, you suck for finding a dirt cheap RX8 that runs. What year?

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
5/15/16 8:32 p.m.
fireball123 wrote: show us some pics

Yeah, pics or it didn't happen.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/15/16 8:46 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/15/16 8:48 p.m.

Berk you!

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/15/16 8:53 p.m.

That suspension is wretched, but for the price you can't beat it.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/15/16 9:06 p.m.

Sweet

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
5/15/16 9:51 p.m.

Nice score!

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/15/16 10:00 p.m.

Nice. How is it to slap a turbo on those?

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
5/15/16 10:03 p.m.

OMFG call me jealous, Congrats and price some ignition maintenance and ALL the light you can afford.

Congrats you bastard.........................

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
5/15/16 10:05 p.m.

In reply to Stampie:

Basically a lot of no due to heat and cooling issues, then timing and cooling issues again, metic $$$$$ is needed for a good turbo set up.

Scooter
Scooter Dork
5/15/16 10:18 p.m.

Nice! Felt the same way with my $200 DSM purchase today.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/15/16 10:27 p.m.

I won't be turboing.

...but I do have a nice LS.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
5/15/16 10:35 p.m.

So, does this still leave you looking for a t56?

Chadeux
Chadeux Reader
5/15/16 10:40 p.m.

Honestly, When this started with T56 and went into RX8, I was hoping for an aborted LS swap project that was being sold by somebody who didn't know it wasn't normal.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/15/16 10:47 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: So, does this still leave you looking for a t56?

Yes.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/15/16 10:47 p.m.
Chadeux wrote: Honestly, When this started with T56 and went into RX8, I was hoping for an aborted LS swap project that was being sold by somebody who didn't know it wasn't normal.

The aborted LS swap project is what I bought yesterday. Seriously.

Chadeux
Chadeux Reader
5/15/16 10:56 p.m.

Aright, guess we're all good then.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/16/16 6:16 a.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: That suspension is wretched, but for the price you can't beat it.

What are you seeing in that picture that tells you much about the suspension?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
5/16/16 7:01 a.m.

So, the RX8 is orange? Irony?

Is this The Rumpkin?

I hear that metallic orange is the new metallic black.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QmPSXBebD9IQxAqALlbVYprIY3wNqt6wWsNNq6PFh5FwncDJ1dY62SfhvtLN5lgu