Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Reader
8/11/09 6:27 a.m.

Hey guys,

Well since I got my latest project on the road(78 Datsun 510) I have been using it a lot because it is new,and it will haul the whole family around. Well last night after coming home in the Datsun from a a little family walk at the canal I decided to stretch the RX-7's legs after sitting around for a month+. Wow I can't believe how much I missed driving this car!!!!! Now granted it isn't anything special,but wow what a difference between it,and the Datsun. There are so many things that I forgot I liked about the 7 that I didn't realized the Datsun couldn't,or won't do at this point. Now I guess I have to understand that the Datsun is still is a project,and never really considered sporty,but man the difference is like night and day. The RX-7 is mostly stock,and is still a vastly better car. I guess the moral of the story is not to take things for granted. My RX-7 is,and always has been my favorite car in the fleet,and maybe my car universe,but I forgot why for a little bit,and that won't happen again. I think I will take it for another spin tonight.

bruceman
bruceman New Reader
8/11/09 7:27 a.m.

I <3 wankel

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
8/11/09 7:29 a.m.

RX7s shall rule.......

jstein77
jstein77 HalfDork
8/11/09 7:38 a.m.

OK, try this. Take a spin around the block in your 510, then jump into a 03-05 Sentra Spec V. Then you'll really be depressed.

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar HalfDork
8/11/09 7:58 a.m.

I often miss my 7. I'd like to have a nicer one someday.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/11/09 8:31 a.m.

I don't take mine for granted, I love it. Like I said in another post, this weekend it rolled over 235,000 miles, did 45 autocross runs with 4 drivers over 2 days at Packwood (a National Tour site), and drove home without so much as a hiccup. Original engine, never rebuilt. And I have around $1500 in it total. I won't make the same mistake when I sold my first 7, this one stays forever.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Reader
8/11/09 9:06 a.m.

It really is hard to decribe the SA/FB RX-7 to someone who hasn;'t driven or owned one. In reality they aren't great at anything aside from putting smiles on peoples faces. I always knew I loved this car,and my 83 before it,and heck the matchbox versions I had as a kid,but man I love it even more now that I have some perspective.

I even like this car more than my 04 RX-8 I had for a 1 year lease. The RX-8 was fun,and quick,but it lacked something,and I can't put my finger on it,but it was missing. I guess I am a sucker for old cars with magic spinning dorito's,even though my 85k mile original motor in the 7 is smoking pretty good now. I think it needs some new seals from a life of use only during the warm months by myself,and the original owner. I must get back with my original love again. I am sorry Rex I will never take you for granted again!!!!

Chris

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
8/11/09 10:08 a.m.

I have been thinking about finding a built FB as a first race car lately and decided that I need to wait until I graduate and get a job.. you guys arent helping (neither are the 2 of them for sale on racing junk)...

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
8/11/09 12:53 p.m.

this same thing used to happen to me when I had my SM E30. I'd not drive it for a month and forget how brilliant it was.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
8/11/09 3:44 p.m.

Getting oil smoke, oh boy you are in for a treat, Seafoam my brother, your seals are being held against the rotor by the carbon, Seafoam the crap out of her when you have very little fuel left, but beware, warn your neighbors and be prepared to not be able to see more than 5 feet.

It will break those seal springs free.....change plugs after the treatment

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Reader
8/11/09 4:31 p.m.

I just bought a rebuild kit from Atkins. Do you really think I could just "fix" the problem with seafoam? It really mostly smokes when shifting at high RPM's,but also some at start-up. The engine runs great aside from this,and pulls hard to redline,but smokes.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
8/11/09 4:53 p.m.

Try it for around $10 what have you got to lose, worked for me

ArthurDent
ArthurDent New Reader
8/11/09 8:07 p.m.

I loved my two 1st generation Rx-7s - only thing I would change is maybe the steering to rack and pinion and a little bump in hp. I'm always looking for another.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Reader
8/11/09 8:37 p.m.

How does this magic seafoam work? Is it something I spray into the carb,or is it something I use in the oil?

fastmiata
fastmiata New Reader
8/11/09 8:45 p.m.

The Miata is spiritual successor to the FB. I will drive the GTO for several days(primarily due to the excellent AC system during the ET summer) and then drive the miata to Home Depot or some other short errand and wonder how I could let this car sit for more than a day.
I owned approx 7 FB's and now 13 NA Miata. Yeah, the wankel is a more unique and fun motor but from there the two cars are so very similar.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/11/09 9:10 p.m.

I've said it a million times, the SA/FB RX-7 is a hatchback Miata. They drive so similar. I think I just love all small Mazda's.

RexSeven
RexSeven HalfDork
8/11/09 9:25 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: How does this magic seafoam work? Is it something I spray into the carb,or is it something I use in the oil?

There's all sorts of threads on this on the different RX-7 forums, but there are three ways to use Seafoam in a rotary:

1. Pour it into the combustion chamber via the spark plug holes: http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=852829&highlight=seafoam

2. Pour a can into a 1/4-full fuel tank. Cleans injectors and fuel lines like no-one's business. Do it every once in a while to keep carbon buildup from gumming up the works. I used some on my backfiring FC, and after the treatment it idled smooth as butter... until I got a vacuum leak.

3. Pipe it into your intake vacuum hoses.

From http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=545613&highlight=seafoam+intake+vacuum ; "It works quite well to quickly remove carbon from the combustion chamber. The trick is to suck 1/2 of the can in as quicly as possile, shut the engine down, let it soak and soften the carbon, then fire it up and run the rest of the can through. While it doesn't clean the fuel system, carb or injectors, it does one hell of a job on the housings, rotors and seals."

I've been meaning to do it with mine to see if I can find the vacuum leak, but I honestly don't know where my intake vacuum hoses are and you'll need a second person to help with the throttle.

Hmm, since I'm somewhat local to you and I have time off coming up, maybe we could help each other out...

shdw102
shdw102 New Reader
8/11/09 9:39 p.m.

seafoam+wankel = smoke machine that could make any rockstar jealous

I am convinced one of these days my neighbor is going to flick me off instead of wave after i seafoamed my rx...well that and incredible amount of noise the engine makes.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Reader
8/11/09 10:11 p.m.

Don't seafoam a rotary. Friend of mine just did that last week on his car and blew the motor. The seafoam does not play nicely with the apex seal oiling and causes bad mojo to happen.

Repeat for emphasis

DO NOT EVER USE SEAFOAM ON A ROTARY!!!!!!!

It is OK to use water to de-carbonize the internals using distilled WATER as described here: http://rotaryresurrection.com/3rdgen/tech_water_injection.html

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
8/11/09 10:42 p.m.

well that's funny, I do it and have never had a failure, I have also increased compression and saved a couple of engines you would have sworn were up for a rebuild.

I recommend it.

RexSeven
RexSeven HalfDork
8/12/09 3:29 p.m.

I've never heard of Seafoam causing a failure in a rotary either, unless it was already on its way out. It's up to Mazdax605 what he wants to do, but I would try the Seafoam treatment at least for the stuck seal. If it's already berkeleyed, he has the rebuild kit handy.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
8/12/09 3:43 p.m.

http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=545613&highlight=seafoam+treatment

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7wBCfqvHe9qUzr3m6nk6HbSp7ucaQffjQmBzV6fQzuocfkq6JjIp3Ce77zBIZpoW