1 ... 4 5 6 7 8
wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
5/26/17 12:11 p.m.

Three weeks and I get it back. As long as everything shows up correctly and nothing gets lost in shipping.

All the parts were in stock and the chassis is dead straight. Wheels are dead and diminished value needs to be worked out but it will be back in the garage soon.

OEM sidewinders that I have are not my favorite rim and the BBS parts are NLA but nothing that a big check cannot fix. At least with the OEM wheels I can drive the thing.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy Dork
5/26/17 1:30 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: Three weeks and I get it back. As long as everything shows up correctly and nothing gets lost in shipping. All the parts were in stock and the chassis is dead straight. Wheels are dead and diminished value needs to be worked out but it will be back in the garage soon. OEM sidewinders that I have are not my favorite rim and the BBS parts are NLA but nothing that a big check cannot fix. At least with the OEM wheels I can drive the thing.

Hurray !

Such good news.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
5/31/17 1:46 p.m.

and...

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
5/31/17 2:11 p.m.

Remind me, you're going through your own carrier, right? Have you checked your policy very carefully? I'm sure you have a specialty policy on the car, so I'd have to read through the language, but most policies specifically exclude coverage for "diminished value"

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
5/31/17 4:17 p.m.
Klayfish wrote: Remind me, you're going through your own carrier, right? Have you checked your policy very carefully? I'm sure you have a specialty policy on the car, so I'd have to read through the language, but most policies specifically exclude coverage for "diminished value"

Mine covers diminished values as long as it is not from alcohol or something really egregious. Hence the almost 0.90-1.05$ a mile cost to drive the car just in insurance cost.

My carrier took care of the legwork but the person who hit me and is at fault cannot hide behind that clause. I have an attorney who does diminished value for a living and he has all of the paperwork they need in order and is looking forward to ripping her insurance company apart if they don't settle. He gets a percentage of the recovery and Allstate knows who he is and what he is capable of. Last I heard it was in the 18K range for diminished value and with loss of use. Plus another 15K to replace the wheels on a expedite order.

In other news. The OEM wheels should be at the repair center on Friday and it may actually be ready to go pickup mid next week.

Happy Dance. I have a charity poker run that is at the end of June that I really want the car back for.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/31/17 4:33 p.m.

What wheels do you think would be worthy replacements?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
5/31/17 4:55 p.m.

I am going to talk with Kodiak and have a set of full bore race wheels made for it. They are cheap for Viper wheels at least. I am going to try and get a 315+ front tire and up to something in the 375-395 rear on slicks.

Now I have a guy in the UK who says that he can fix the wheels for about 3K with shipping. They would have to make a new barrel for both and flux them but I may send them out to him as well and use the BBS wheels on the street.

STM317
STM317 Dork
6/1/17 6:19 a.m.

I think it needs a set of Forgelines. If that design isn't your cup of tea, they have a ton of other options that I've seen on Vipers, and they'll do about any color/finish combo you could want.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
6/1/17 11:29 a.m.
wearymicrobe wrote:
Klayfish wrote: Remind me, you're going through your own carrier, right? Have you checked your policy very carefully? I'm sure you have a specialty policy on the car, so I'd have to read through the language, but most policies specifically exclude coverage for "diminished value"
Mine covers diminished values as long as it is not from alcohol or something really egregious. Hence the almost 0.90-1.05$ a mile cost to drive the car just in insurance cost. My carrier took care of the legwork but the person who hit me and is at fault cannot hide behind that clause. I have an attorney who does diminished value for a living and he has all of the paperwork they need in order and is looking forward to ripping her insurance company apart if they don't settle. He gets a percentage of the recovery and Allstate knows who he is and what he is capable of. Last I heard it was in the 18K range for diminished value and with loss of use. Plus another 15K to replace the wheels on a expedite order.

Glad to hear it. Again, just trying to help, but from what I'm reading here, what you describe above isn't really how it works. If you're having your carrier handle your diminished value (DV) claim, then this attorney will never have any interaction with Allstate (not sure what you mean by "hide behind that clause"). You will settle with your own carrier and THEY will have subrogation rights against Allstate. You and the attorney will not be part of the process. If you and your carrier don't agree on DV, then there is very likely a clause in your policy that explains how it will be resolved. Usually involves mediation. Your attorney could be your mediator. But once that is resolved, you and the attorney are now out of the picture when it comes to Allstate. Only way you'd have direct involvement with them is if you're going directly to them for settlement (do they have sufficient limits???).

Very few attorney will even touch DV, as there's no real money in it for them. Not saying yours won't, because your car is a .1% car. But even there, there's not a ton of "ripping apart" to be done.

Hope it all works out the way you want. Let me know if you have questions.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
6/1/17 11:38 a.m.

Should have made that more clear, my attorney is my mediator and my assessor. Basically he generated the report for diminished value to my Insurance company. If my insurance company does not agree with the report he deals with the mediator with the insurance company. Frankly I don't have the time or the inclination to deal with it. I imagine that my insurance company then goes to Allstate for reimbursement if applicable.

At least that is how it was described to me when I bought the policy. I specifically bought a policy that covered diminished value and have the attorney as part of a prepaid deal that I get with one of my other policies.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/1/17 7:47 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe:

You know its worthless without pics, right?

Edit: Pics of the wheels, not the lawyer.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/17 9:18 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: I am going to talk with Kodiak and have a set of full bore race wheels made for it. They are cheap for Viper wheels at least. I am going to try and get a 315+ front tire and up to something in the 375-395 rear on slicks. Now I have a guy in the UK who says that he can fix the wheels for about 3K with shipping. They would have to make a new barrel for both and flux them but I may send them out to him as well and use the BBS wheels on the street.

if the centres are good, I am surprised that BBS can't just replace the barrels themselves?

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/2/17 1:20 a.m.

315+ in the front?! Good God, that's a lot of tire.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
6/5/17 12:18 p.m.

315's are not that big in today's world. They run 305's on some production cars like the Z28. Allegedly if I get the backspacing correct and do a bit of cutting I can get as large as a 335 on the front and a 385 on the rear. But no U-Turns on the street.

So new wheels are at the shop. OEM ACR sidewinder II's. Paint is done on the entire car. Might even get it back in the next day or two. They are cutting and buffing the paint out right now and redoing all of the 3M clear bra wrap that is on the car. They also found a factory repair on the rear bumper where they fix a small little dent incorrectly. They are fixing it to 100%.

BBS does not make a 19 barrel in a 13-14 inch width anymore, they have none in stock as well. I found a company in irvine who makes custom three piece wheels who say they can turn one for me pretty quick but its mondo expensive. I just want a check for the replacement cost at this point and I will figure something out in the long run.

Wheels

Paint + 3M

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/5/17 12:29 p.m.

I like the new wheels better. Can't wait to see this back in one piece again.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/5/17 1:04 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe:

I didn't realize the Z28 had that much tire. Either way, I'm stoked to see your viper getting put back together. I love the eye-searing green.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
6/5/17 3:00 p.m.

I was on the fence when I bought the car about the green. I really wanted a "Ring" colored car. IE White/Red/Black but nothing was out there. Very common color on the ACR. Almost non of the cars got solid colors or full length wide stripes.

The green is now my Favorite color they make and if I were to get a Gen V 1 of 1 I would order it in the green with ACR stripes in Black and matte red drivers stripe. With the brass monkey wheels.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
6/10/17 5:46 p.m.

So bad news. They found more damage.

I drove all the way up today, ~2 hours in car, to take a look and they missed the engine compartment bracing shift that I was deathly worried about. Same with some of the carbon that needs to be replaced. Everything that they have touched looks better then new though.

they are going to dig into it again on Monday but figure at least a few more weeks till it is back. Got a nasty gram from the DMV as well as I paid the registration but did not get it smogged. Apparently having the car in 100 pieces does not count as an excuse to be late and they pulled the registration. Whcih means that I have to have it towed home and to the smog shop to get paperwork then wait another 3 weeks or so to get stickers. Or go to AAA and find a way to get it in the system.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/10/17 11:21 p.m.
weary Microsoft be wrote: So bad news. They found more damage. I drove all the way up today, ~2 hours in car, to take a look and they missed the engine compartment bracing shift that I was deathly worried about. Same with some of the carbon that needs to be replaced. Everything that they have touched looks better then new though. they are going to dig into it again on Monday but figure at least a few more weeks till it is back. Got a nasty gram from the DMV as well as I paid the registration but did not get it smogged. Apparently having the car in 100 pieces does not count as an excuse to be late and they pulled the registration. Whcih means that I have to have it towed home and to the smog shop to get paperwork then wait another 3 weeks or so to get stickers. Or go to AAA and find a way to get it in the system.

Shouldn't that now be part of the insurance claim? I would see about having them pay for all that as well as getting it taken care of. Your car was a street legal car before the accident they have to provide you with a street legal car when they are done with it. I know it sound petty but this is not your doing. It was caused by the accident.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Reader
6/11/17 9:54 a.m.

Just get a 3-day trip permit and drive it back when it's ready.

I paid the reg on my car but didn't smog. 5 months later I smogged and got my tags A day later. I didn't get the permit and just drove it over but the drive you have would not be one I would chance it on.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
6/11/17 11:04 a.m.
dean1484 wrote:
weary Microsoft be wrote: So bad news. They found more damage. I drove all the way up today, ~2 hours in car, to take a look and they missed the engine compartment bracing shift that I was deathly worried about. Same with some of the carbon that needs to be replaced. Everything that they have touched looks better then new though. they are going to dig into it again on Monday but figure at least a few more weeks till it is back. Got a nasty gram from the DMV as well as I paid the registration but did not get it smogged. Apparently having the car in 100 pieces does not count as an excuse to be late and they pulled the registration. Whcih means that I have to have it towed home and to the smog shop to get paperwork then wait another 3 weeks or so to get stickers. Or go to AAA and find a way to get it in the system.
Shouldn't that now be part of the insurance claim? I would see about having them pay for all that as well as getting it taken care of. Your car was a street legal car before the accident they have to provide you with a street legal car when they are done with it. I know it sound petty but this is not your doing. It was caused by the accident.

Yeah they just fill out another addendum and get the insurance company to pay.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
6/11/17 11:27 a.m.

Wow, you needed to have Non-op'ed it? That's ridiculous.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
6/16/17 3:33 p.m.
docwyte wrote: Wow, you needed to have Non-op'ed it? That's ridiculous.

Did not know it was going to be this long. Also it is right on the edge of legal, but still legal, for smog and I did not want to have to take it back to the DMV and have the state ref bounce me for bullE36 M3 that is legal.

I am supposed to get a call tonight about pickup possibly today, maybe tomorrow or Monday. It is basically done except for the 3m which is happening right now. Allstate is sending an inspector out and we are meeting about the diminished value. They are actually being nice right now, took a certified letter and some phone calls to get them moving. The inspector and the guy who does the approval both have an understanding of what the car s worth and what I want and they seem to be OK with it as long as it can be documented.

Lucky I had the car appraised for trade in on a 650s about two weeks before the accident, having the same shop write another after the accident plus my insurance company provided a statement as well.

right now I want it back, I am not sure how long I am going to hold onto it, the long it has been away the less I miss it and frankly I bought it as an investment piece that I could drive 2K miles a year and it is not that anymore. May find a way to do the corvette trade or I have a guy who wants to trade an SB100 registered Atom for it with some cash on top ~30K to me.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
6/20/17 4:21 p.m.

It is done and on the truck at 3:30 heading home should be here tonight. They had the whole car detailed for me and once the 3M is cured along with the paint it will go in for quartz coating again.

Holy tar this was an ordeal. Also I still don't have a clue what is going to happen with the wheel replacements, though I found a shop who says they can make new barrels and flux them. Also still waiting on the diminished value loss of use decision. All will get done I imagine.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
6/20/17 6:18 p.m.

And it got hung up getting on the truck because it is too low. So second truck is heading out now.

Everything that could go wrong has.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CluHOMdIzR6YOETPmmMmRC3jI7dkHaVheCYI7Jk8U7JKRpUvCh5cOCDtgSiGJ8Xv