Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/5/20 8:46 a.m.

because it's light and easy on consumeables and easy to drive and practical and...  (so I bought an NA and i like it a lot)

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/d/winder-1998-c5-corvette-6-speed-manual/7052699515.html

But great googly moogly.. the value proposition in a c5 right now is silly...  just insane.. 

Thought exercise.. what are some other cars with this high value right now...

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/5/20 9:04 a.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

SN95 Mustang, if that's your thing. Used performance parts are dirt cheap & plentiful too. It'll never be the fastest(with the stock Ford motor), or handle as well as some other cars, but they can be built to perform quite well for cheap - just ask Patrick about Mark's old 95 he bought after the Challenge. 

burdickjp
burdickjp GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/5/20 9:16 a.m.

And a trip to Disney World?

Xmen comic book #1?

Lifetime subscription to Playboy? And throw in Penthouse?

https://youtu.be/9frZAZs1Cqo?t=45

spandak
spandak HalfDork
2/5/20 9:17 a.m.

Boxsters and Caymans 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
2/5/20 9:20 a.m.

In reply to spandak :

Was coming here to say 986 Boxsters.  Unbeatable $/smile.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/5/20 9:22 a.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

SN95 Mustang, if that's your thing. Used performance parts are dirt cheap & plentiful too. It'll never be the fastest(with the stock Ford motor), or handle as well as some other cars, but they can be built to perform quite well for cheap - just ask Patrick about Mark's old 95 he bought after the Challenge. 

I keep being tempted to build a New Edge Mustang. But tires/brakes/gas would be ridiculous at my local track.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/5/20 9:36 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

In reply to spandak :

Was coming here to say 986 Boxsters.  Unbeatable $/smile.

Every 2 years when I have to nurse the Manic Miata through inspection, a sorted-out older Boxster sounds more and more appealing.  And DW would enjoy riding in something a bit less... aggressive as well.

If I could get $6000 back out of the Manic Miata and accessories that go with it I would have a hard time passing this up.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/5/20 9:39 a.m.

Basically, this will be a list of performance cars from 20 years ago that have bottomed out in value and have not yet started to climb out of the depreciation abyss.

Fueled by Caffeine
2/5/20 9:52 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

you say that like there is something wrong with it....

ShinnyGroove
ShinnyGroove Reader
2/5/20 9:58 a.m.

MIght as well throw E36 M3's on that list.

That said, if we're talking about cars that see the track, nothing can hold a candle to the low running costs, reliability, and aftermarket support of the NA/NB Miatae.  Yes a C5 and SN95 are faster, but you pay for it in consumables and headaches.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/5/20 10:10 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

you say that like there is something wrong with it....

It's basically GRM's bread and butter.

Fueled by Caffeine
2/5/20 10:14 a.m.

yeah.. so step aside while I get a much needed dose of mental chewing gum... :-)

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/5/20 10:16 a.m.

dont the pre 2001 c5's have issues with year specific parts availability?

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
2/5/20 10:29 a.m.

Aside from the intangibles, I'd argue the NC Miata is as good (or better) of a value proposition as a 2.5 Boxster. It's closer to the early 986 in performance, but closer to the NA/NB in operating costs...And not to be overlooked in a tracked convertible, especially as compared to the NA/NB, people allowed on all of the rides at the fair can legitimately pass the broomstick test under a street-friendly yet track-worthy (Blackbird NC RZ) rollbar.

If we're going to look at purchase-price-only vs performance value proposition, with no regard for the care and feeding, I'd also rank the E46 M3 above the E36 M3. Maybe throw the B6 S4 in there too.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/5/20 10:33 a.m.
ShinnyGroove said:

MIght as well throw E36 M3's on that list.

I don't know about that. It seems clean un-modified (or reasonably modified) M3s have stabilized and maybe increasing.

A C5 6 spd for $8700 is tempting, tho... 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
2/5/20 10:34 a.m.

WOW

Didn't know C5 and Boxsters were so cheap! WOW

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/5/20 10:37 a.m.

That C5 is tempting.....good thing I hate that color and those wheels!

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
2/5/20 3:40 p.m.

I love that color and those wheels! That's the exact one I'd be looking for!     

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/5/20 10:53 p.m.

Well.

The 98 jag xjr matches the 98 Corvette in pretty much all performance categories. 0-60, 1/4 mile, 70-0 braking, etc. Go ahead and check the old car and drivers. 

But xjrs come up for challenge coin regularly. And they have 4 doors. And interiors that are better than a c5. 

You might still need a gold chain.

Fueled by Caffeine
2/6/20 10:27 a.m.

this car has been for sale for nearly a year at the same place.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/ctd/d/burnsville-2001-porsche-911-carrera-2dr/7056670758.html

I should go see it?

ShinnyGroove
ShinnyGroove Reader
2/6/20 9:00 p.m.

It's been said that the most expensive car You'll ever own is a cheap Porsche.  For a street car, probably fine. For the track, they need a lot. Check out LN Engineering's page. 

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
2/6/20 9:15 p.m.

The three red warning lights I can't make out and high coolant temp (both while running) would make me think twice about that 911. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fcKzTCucmPBv5xRiu9WzSJnZEftYwjPOisg90Xv5QKoM9z6jHYX01FjLzfaOv8n2