1 2 3
Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/11/12 3:59 p.m.

Okay, so there isn't enough light to work on a car properly - although there are enough outlets to plug in some lights. It's probably scorching in the summer and freezing in the winter unless it's buried underground. But I still want it. Especially if it's buried underground.

From Pelican Parts. Best reply in the thread: "...are you an evil mastermind bent on world domination?"

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/11/12 4:03 p.m.

Quite an awesome idea.

Logged into the thinkamanator.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
1/11/12 4:06 p.m.

I saw a dude who built his house out of an old grain silo cut in half. He used all industrial stuff for the fans, fixtures, etc. Finished the concrete slab and threw some cheap rugs on it here and there. It was awesome. I want to say he built the whole thing for less than $20 grand or something on property he inhereted (property with a grain silo on it.)

This good ole boy ended up with this insanely cool uber-contemporary place. I don't think he even realized how awesome it was.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
1/11/12 4:07 p.m.

Saw a guy use an old DC10 fuselage to make his shop....

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/11/12 4:10 p.m.

Me too me too i want one too!

Where does one get a Quonset hut?

pres589
pres589 Dork
1/11/12 4:13 p.m.

Actually, what if you painted the thing a very light color on the outside and then insulated it? I know it would lose the ribbed metal aesthetic going on but couldn't a guy run hardboard across the ribs of the building on the inside after laying up sheets of pink insulation?

And he's facing the same basic lighting problems every other guy in a shop faces; I wouldn't have stopped with what's shown but careful shopping around could really help on the light front.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/11/12 4:20 p.m.

Yeah, the lighting problem isn't due to the shape of the garage at all, it's because of the chosen aesthetics. Nothing stopping you from running fluorescent tubes along the sides of the garage, about 4' up. Say, along that first set of horizontal ribs. That would give some pretty nice work lighting.

I'll bet you could shoot foam insulation on to the walls to make it more liveable. Love the fact that the car has a similar aesthetic.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/11/12 4:31 p.m.

What if it was built into the side of a hill? I guess that would be considered underground. Like this but covered with a bit more earth:

92CelicaHalfTrac
1/11/12 4:32 p.m.
EvanB wrote: What if it was built into the side of a hill? I guess that would be considered underground. Like this but covered with a bit more earth:

I want this, too!!!

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
1/11/12 4:33 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Me too me too i want one too! Where does one get a Quonset hut?

Any metal building manufacturer.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
1/11/12 4:48 p.m.

I love the underground idea. That looks pretty ideal. Tall enough for a lift?

EvanB
1/11/12 4:51 p.m.

I also found this while googling the above pic, I want one like it:

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
1/11/12 4:55 p.m.

In reply to Teh E36 M3:

Depends on how wide you make your base....

92CelicaHalfTrac
1/11/12 4:57 p.m.
EvanB wrote: I also found this while googling the above pic, I want one like it:

?!?!?!?!?!

What are you search parameters? I never get sick of looking at buildings like this.

Sultan
Sultan Reader
1/11/12 5:03 p.m.

I would be happy with the 911 in my garage!

EvanB
1/11/12 5:07 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: ?!?!?!?!?! What are you search parameters? I never get sick of looking at buildings like this.

"House built in hill" There are a couple other cool ones for that search.

Also do searches for "search architects" and "BIG architects"

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Reader
1/11/12 5:16 p.m.

My grandfather had a "underground" house he built, it was great, I mowed the roof once. Lol. Quonset huts litter the country side too so you could probably find a vacant lot and build that and no one would be the wiser.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/11/12 5:46 p.m.

can you bury an Quonset hut? That is a cool idea

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
1/11/12 6:03 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: can you bury an Quonset hut? That is a cool idea

You can bury damn near anything. As long as it was well insulated on the outside, and reinforced it, i'd see no problem.

EvanB
1/11/12 6:25 p.m.

You can buy one here:

http://metalbuildingoutlet.com/Classified.aspx

92CelicaHalfTrac
1/11/12 6:27 p.m.

That's surprisingly cheap....

a401cj
a401cj GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/11/12 6:51 p.m.
?!?!?!?!?! What are you search parameters? I never get sick of looking at buildings like this.

makes you feel all gooie inside doesn't it?

And people laugh at architects...

novaderrik
novaderrik Dork
1/11/12 8:18 p.m.

you don't need a goofy looking building to build a garage that can't be used as a garage- just put a bunch of crap in any garage and call it a "man cave".

Luke
Luke SuperDork
1/11/12 8:20 p.m.

That's very cool, I love the aesthetic.

Also, this, from the same thread:

Need to find an aluminium engine block and do this.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/11/12 9:23 p.m.

Speaking of alternative buildings, how about spending a night or two in a converted lima silo? I have done it.

http://www.lq.com/lq/properties/propertyProfile.do?propId=663

By the way, not all of the rooms are in the silo, but mine was. It had to be the most metal place I have ever stayed.

Here, I'll hotlink a photo:

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0ZeedRpDJCVmbsf92WXMQurFNLaEVLFIBPMdkp6rTfNbu88Kd6PAYmnp6T716m1Q