AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage HalfDork
6/1/21 1:45 a.m.

Spent the weekend taking video at the Cope-Myers Memorial hillclimb at Maryhill. Happened to be sitting in just the wrong (right?) place to catch a late braking lo-cost do some landscaping. I got a lot of video to edit but I at the request of the featured driver I cut together this little video for you to enjoy.

In reply to AClockworkGarage :

Ouch

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
6/1/21 9:50 a.m.

You were there for that?

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
6/1/21 10:00 a.m.

Initially I wondered why he didn't come off the brakes and attempt to turn but it's probably better to have gone straight off. The car at least stayed upright, regardless that's a tough way to end your day.

AClockworkGarage
6/1/21 10:09 a.m.

In reply to Vajingo :

yep, and I have videos to prove it. :)

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/1/21 10:12 a.m.

I'm certainly no expert, but it looks like that could have ended at least a few different ways worse than it did.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/1/21 10:25 a.m.

Uff da.  Not driving that back down the hill.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/1/21 10:35 a.m.

Hill climb is like stage rally.  It's not if you might crash, it's when and how hard.

AClockworkGarage
6/1/21 12:26 p.m.

The first run of the first day ended like this in the first corner. Sadly the car didn't trip the starting lights so we were instructed to Red flag him and send him back down, when I heard that I shut the camera off...

The dude in red was the driver and was unhurt. He insisted on helping sweep the course clear, and returned for the second day of competition in a different car.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
6/1/21 12:58 p.m.

Do they not require fire suits for these events?  Seems crazy to me.

golfduke
golfduke Dork
6/1/21 1:00 p.m.

man, that e46 is TOASTED.  What the hell happened there?! 

Glad to hear they're both okay though! 

AClockworkGarage
6/1/21 2:21 p.m.

What we were able to piece together for the BMW was entry speed too high and too far to the outside. It looked like his pass front tire got into the loose stuff outside and began to slide, and he hit the brakes. The grip mis-match pitched the car sideways. He was completely sideways when he came into view. The car impacted the tree in the pass wheel area and lifted up into the air, rotating into the position in the photos. I have a video walkaround of the aftermath that I haven't uploaded yet and there is an in-car video that might get uploaded later if I can find it. Were there a passenger he would be in a world of hurt but the driver's side was in pretty good shape. the door still opened and closed.

As for safety gear it is dependent on class. but yeah, no fire suits for most. They only require full length all cotton clothing, helmet and neck brace. Many classes require a HANS (we run one) and it's looking like HANS will be required in almost all classes next year.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gdAVjnPFTWnxG9SQJ9WuJLMrIDFOf7QAee3VR5eSWV1RcYAaf55WXkPrc3WZdaGz