1 2 3
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/6/22 2:30 p.m.
feature_image

How much will $36,000 get you these days? Approximately one 2023 Toyota GR Corolla.

Although the Circuit and Morizo Editions of the Corolla won’t hit dealerships until 2023, you won’t have to wait much longer for the “base” Core model–look for it coming to a Toyota lot near you this November.

As far as major options, The Corolla Core  can …

Read the rest of the story

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
9/6/22 2:33 p.m.

This will be great if one is available at MSRP. I do not think that will be possible. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/6/22 2:36 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer :

I really wish I could disagree with you, but I fear that dealerships will be dealerships.

bmxr
bmxr New Reader
9/6/22 3:02 p.m.

I'm guessing $60k in the real world...

cyncrvr
cyncrvr New Reader
9/6/22 3:03 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

In reply to singleslammer :

I really wish I could disagree with you, but I fear that dealerships will be dealerships.

You can still get a BRZ at MSRP if you shop around,  my son just did 2 weeks ago where as every Toyota dealership that he called was asking $5K to $10K over sticker for an GR 86. Good luck with getting a GR Corolla at sticker. 

Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter)
Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/6/22 3:34 p.m.

Not in the market (currently) but really stoked on this, looking forward to driving impressions once the embargoes are lifted.

Too bad on the initial color selection, looks like we have red, white, black, grey, other grey, and other white on offer.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
9/6/22 4:11 p.m.
Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter) said:

... Too bad on the initial color selection, looks like we have red, white, black, grey, other grey, and other white on offer.

Back when I was looking at used Jag F-Types, about 90% were black or white, with gray/silver running a distant third.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
9/6/22 4:31 p.m.

im afraid to go to the dealership and even ask about a bidlist... I mean waitlist

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/6/22 4:31 p.m.

$4k more than another magazine said would be MSRP. Just as I said in another thread on this forum.

I think this is a super exciting car, but I don't think you'll be able to get one for less than $40k since manufacturers won't reign in ADMs. That's what killed the Focus RS. I really wanted one, no test drives unless you sign the paperwork to buy "and then we can tear it up afterward."

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/6/22 6:57 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I haven't checked recently but I wonder what Golf Rs are going for these days. When I bought my GTI in 2018 I could have walked out the door with an R for just over $36k (the GTI was 28 out the door).

What is Volkswagen not let their dealers mark up like that. In my experience Toyota dealers are the freaking worst even when they have a full lot of unsold stuff. 

Berck
Berck Reader
9/6/22 7:29 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I paid exactly MSRP for a 2017 Focus RS in October of 2017.  Just had to wait for the hype to die down.  I did not even attempt a test drive because in my experience test drives aren't all that useful.  Didn't get to test drive my 2013 WRX, either.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/6/22 8:10 p.m.
Berck said:

In reply to z31maniac :

I paid exactly MSRP for a 2017 Focus RS in October of 2017.  Just had to wait for the hype to die down.  I did not even attempt a test drive because in my experience test drives aren't all that useful.  Didn't get to test drive my 2013 WRX, either.

The multiple dealers around here weren't asking over MSRP back then, but I wasn't willing to sign the note on something they wouldn't even let me drive.

They wanted you to go through all the paperwork, sign for a loan, before they'd let you have a test drive.

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
9/7/22 8:50 a.m.

I really wish they'd go ahead and announce the Canadian pricing too.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
9/7/22 9:00 a.m.

I asked my local dealer two days after the release if I could get on the list. He told me it was 8 deep already and they hope to get 1 or 2 in the first year of production. I feel like its insider trading at the dealers to get the new hot models. 

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/7/22 9:08 a.m.

Not in the market (currently) but really stoked on this, looking forward to driving impressions once the embargoes are lifted.

Too bad on the initial color selection, looks like we have red, white, black, grey, other grey, and other white on offer.

Cant believe Toyota didnt at least offer a beige per their norm....

te72
te72 HalfDork
9/7/22 10:54 p.m.
kevinatfms said:

Cant believe Toyota didnt at least offer a beige per their norm....

I'd rock a sand beige GR Corolla. Would be perfect for the dustbowl I live in. =P

Kidding aside, Toyota... make it in Galactic Aqua Mica, and give me a call. The base car with the performance package and cold weather package would be quite tempting for me, if at MSRP you're looking at around $700 / month. Oof. Makes me sick looking at that number a bit, but... I've never owned a new car. My first Toyota was an E70 Corolla (hence the name) and I'm definitely interested in the GR.

hkrk88
hkrk88
9/8/22 12:43 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

Did you mean Stealerships?

rustomatic
rustomatic HalfDork
9/8/22 1:13 p.m.

A $36,000.00 Corolla? Seriously?

calteg
calteg SuperDork
9/8/22 1:27 p.m.

In reply to rustomatic :

Wait until you see the price on the top-tier trim...and that's before "market adjustments"

My only hope is that Toyota continues to crank these out for a few years so that the hype and markups can die down. With the death of ICE sports cars, I suspect this might be a 2 model-year only vehicle

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/8/22 1:28 p.m.
rustomatic said:

A new ZL1 Camaro is $70-80k.  Is it not unreasonable for a Corolla to cost half of what a Camaro costs?

Alternatively, MSRP on a 2004 STi was $32k, which is about $50k in 2022 dollars.  And that got you a blanking plate instead of a radio. 

Back then people were incredulous over spending That Kind of money on a Subaru.  The market tended to think it was acceptable smiley

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/8/22 7:50 p.m.

If this sells at MSRP, I'm probably a buyer.  Stock class rallycross here I come!  

SupraFiend
SupraFiend New Reader
9/9/22 3:18 a.m.

A corolla with a bespoke engine, transmission, torsen differtials, 300hp and a drift mode. Just think of it as the new Celica Altrac, except with more power and better tech.

Apparently it undercuts the Golf R and Civic Type R. So a golf and a civic are even more ;)

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/9/22 12:12 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
rustomatic said:

A new ZL1 Camaro is $70-80k.  Is it not unreasonable for a Corolla to cost half of what a Camaro costs?

Alternatively, MSRP on a 2004 STi was $32k, which is about $50k in 2022 dollars.  And that got you a blanking plate instead of a radio. 

Back then people were incredulous over spending That Kind of money on a Subaru.  The market tended to think it was acceptable smiley

A Camaro 1SS 1LE is $46k. And I have a feeling it would still stomp a GR Corrola, no need for the ZL1.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/9/22 12:54 p.m.
z31maniac said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
rustomatic said:

A Camaro 1SS 1LE is $46k. And I have a feeling it would still stomp a GR Corrola, no need for the ZL1.

But, that is not the top model, which skews things.  A mid level Corolla is about $25k, so still about half.

For $46k you get a large, heavy car that only has two wheel drive, and sounds like a Silverado.  I'll take the Corolla.

Really, would rather have the Yaris.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
9/9/22 1:17 p.m.
rustomatic said:

we said that about a focus RS or a golf R and those did well, except the focus because its trash...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4ny3jfRILpjosQixaWf4C7BIzPdZmOIr96mli6ooK7LmiE9QfncLt9arAKym0Sh3