1 2 3 ... 7
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/31/22 10:31 p.m.
feature_image

The WRX STi isn’t dead after all, except that Toyota will take over production.
The forthcoming Toyota GR Corolla sends its 300 horsepower through a six-speed manual box to all four wheels.

Full release below, but you’re probably memorized it by now:

6L, 3-cylinder direct/port injected turbo engine delivers 300 hp and 273 pound-feet of torque

GR-Four AWD system with …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/31/22 10:32 p.m.

So, guesses as to MSRP? Or at least the first digit? 

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
3/31/22 10:48 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

$34k is my guess but the market price adjustment by the dealership will likely force it over $40k

R56fanatic (Forum Supporter)
R56fanatic (Forum Supporter) New Reader
3/31/22 10:57 p.m.

"6L, 3-cylinder"... that would be interesting!

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
3/31/22 11:24 p.m.

Yay, Corollas are cool again.

thashane
thashane GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/31/22 11:25 p.m.

I want. Who has the  hook-up on pre-orders?

edit: actually GR TOYOTA let me a race a car for a year, I guarantee you,  I won't regret it.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/31/22 11:37 p.m.

I'd pre-order one. Been looking for a modern Evo and couldn't do a FoRS. I will not however, play the $15k market adjustment game. 

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
3/31/22 11:41 p.m.

I've been looking for a new car. Need awd/4wd and a manual trans. Hmmmm

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/1/22 1:18 a.m.

100HP per cylinder. Dang.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/1/22 3:34 a.m.

Rather get the GR Yaris

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/1/22 6:52 a.m.
R56fanatic (Forum Supporter) said:

"6L, 3-cylinder"... that would be interesting!

Sonny's builds it smiley

David S. Wallens said:

39,700-43999 is my guess

I also suspect that there will only be a small window of time during which you'll ever see them sell for below MSRP in the secondary market. 

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/1/22 7:53 a.m.

$34,999 just so they can say it starts from $35k.

Ford did the same thing with the Bronco Raptor....."starting at under $70,000"....."MSRP of $69,999".

Hate when OE's do that.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/1/22 7:58 a.m.

I know this will be an unpopular opinion but I already have my flame suit on.

Good God did someone beat this thing for a weak with an ugly tree? I want my cars to be something I look back at and think "Nice.... " not look away from so I don't lose breakfast on the ground. It's like Toyota looked at the last Hype R and said "That needs more E36 M3 tacked on and more odd lines".

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/1/22 8:06 a.m.

I'm guessing $39,999 to $44,999 for the Core model with no options, but you won't be able to get one with no options because you have to take what's on the lot.

At least $20k markup on the Circuit Spec one, if we're lucky only $10k on the Core ones.

Followed by complaints that the buyers in the US just don't want sporty cars.

(I'm a tad grumpy & undercaffeinated)

Edit: Might still try to preorder one.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
4/1/22 8:29 a.m.

I get some of the grumping, styling is always a personal thing, but Toyota of all people is giving us a turbo, 4wd, and an honest to god manual transmission at the same time that Subaru is shelving the STi. That's something to be pretty darn excited about in my book.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/1/22 8:30 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

This is exactly what will happen. It's the same thing that killed the MR2 Spyder.

I already liked the styling of the regular Corolla hatch. I wonder if they'll offer the GR in that cool smurf blue color.

I'm not sold on the fender vents, but if they're functional at all that makes it better.

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
4/1/22 8:38 a.m.

I put my deposit down yesterday after seeing the leaked Toyota page, but before the actual release and I'm only 2nd in line in a small town of only 8,000 people. Someone beat me to it earlier that day! I'd been waiting on the new STI to replace my 2015 WRX, then it was canceled. This ticks all the boxes (manual, awd, 300 hp, huge brakes, etc) and I actually like that it's got some bonkers styling. That's one thing that's never excited me about a Golf R, WAY too reserved.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
4/1/22 8:44 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

On cars like this I'm always torn, 40 year old me likes cars that are more subtle in the styling department, but my inner 17 year old likes cars that scream "LOOK AT ME!!" 

I cant really say on this one until I see it from more angles, and preferably in person.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
4/1/22 8:53 a.m.

Remember when Toyota could make cars that were pretty?  I think I'd rather spend a little extra and get a GTI R over this.  

This car looks like it should be cheap, to me, but I don't consider paying over $25k cheap for a Corolla that doesn't have a real tie-in with a racing series. 

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/1/22 9:00 a.m.

MSRP is pretty tricky. Some people are using the GR Yaris as a benchmark, but that car is a 100% bespoke platform that was built to homologate the car for the WRC. It stickered at $39,000 - $44,000 dollars. While the Corolla hatch is an existing platform, a lot of work went into making it the GR-Four, so it could sticker in about the same range. That would allow it to undercut the Golf R by just a bit and would be a lot for a Corolla, but not for a 300HP AWD beast. 

Toyota may decide to benchmark the Golf R and Civic Type R and push the sticker into the $44k - $46K. Probably justified considering the spec, but that is a lot for a Corolla. 

They may also benchmark cars like the VW GTI SE and WRX and try to come in around $35K - $37K. That would make it a pretty good deal IMHO. Name another $35K car with 300hp and a carbon-fiber roof?

The dreamer in me wants to belive that Toyota wants to undercut the value-priced Elantra N and offer the GR-Four at $29 - $32K, a small bump up from a Civic Si. At that price, they would be everywhere.    

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
4/1/22 9:19 a.m.

I'd hope that that the core will base at like 33-34k, and the launch at 40k ish. To touch what was said above, speculation is that the Yaris is more expensive to make because of the amount of bespoke bits not in common with the mainline cars. And using other cars sold in the UK as a guide, usually it's never a straight GBP to USD conversion, the States usually has a price advantage. 

JAdams
JAdams Reader
4/1/22 9:27 a.m.

I'm super excited for this! Just got on the list at my local dealer and he claimed I was first in line. We will see if that's true I guess.

300hp, AWD, 6 speed manual, tuneable, hatch. What's not to love? I guess without knowing the MSRP yet, that might be the part that everyone doesn't love.

I guess the big decision will be if the extra cost is worth it for the launch edition?

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Gah!  I kept clicking on the arrows thinking there is more than one picture. 

I don't hate it, but like the CTR I'd like to buy, I don't need it and can think of other ways I should spend $40K+...

calteg
calteg Dork

Considering a very used Evo VIII or Evo IX goes for around $35-40k nowadays, this seems like a bargain

1 2 3 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Lxn7JXJN0N84uUUsNosJLS4noMG7yv7VSklujIMuN8j4zT8cKey35xZlKHdeLUtj