Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) said:

Who needs a truck to haul sod if you have a Merc 450?   wink

Goes right along with this:

Just a Corvette pulling a snowmobile. : pics

No Time
No Time SuperDork
4/2/21 6:49 p.m.

In reply to rslifkin :

Seems like a bad day for the pedestrian if they get hit hard enough to deform sheet metal and radiator support enough to reach the engine.  That said, I'm not sure I buy the reason is to prevent contact with hard parts of the drivetrain. Maybe distributing the impact force over a larger area of the pedestrians body in an impact. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/2/21 10:16 p.m.

That motor does sit up pretty high in the chassis

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/3/21 7:00 a.m.

the only modern Truck with a comfortable bed height for me is a Jeep Gladiator, even the tallest factory trim Mojave is only top of stomach level vs nose level in my dads new ranger.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/3/21 7:54 a.m.

The main thought I've had through this whole thread has been:   
who around here is going to go grab a cheap 2nd-gen Santa Fe and build their own?

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/3/21 7:57 a.m.

An 8 x 10 utility trailer is actually a better choice than any truck for dirt, mulch, and other typical landscape work. The big benefit is not beating the crap out of a $30k -$80k vehicle. You get all of that plus a loading ramp, low lift over rails, easier tie down, ability to carry full sheets of ply, bricks, pavers, dirt bikes, lawn mowers.... 

Now back to the discussion of "real truck are too big and small trucks are too small".  LOL 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/3/21 11:44 a.m.

Tester: If we wanted calm, useful insight, we would have asked for it! 

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
4/3/21 11:54 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I swear everyone on the GRM forum is into slammed minitrucks with the bed side comments.

Yes this is true.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/3/21 12:52 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I swear everyone on the GRM forum is into slammed minitrucks with the bed side comments.

I like high bed sides. Lets me put stuff in the bed. My first-gen Tundra had lower bed sides, I could only stack tires one level deep with the cover on. Now I can stack them two levels deep.

So, a certain GRM forum member comes to a rallycross with his new tow vehicle, a Dodge (er, RAM, all caps) fully loaded whatever.

Someone pointed out that the bed is like shoulder high but only forearm deep.

It is like there is a race to make load heights as difficult-high as possible.  Next up: a Chevy van with stakes on the roof, called a "pickup bed"?

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/3/21 12:54 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm curious if it will be able to tow 3500lb. a BG chassis on a tow dolly is all I'm asking for. 

A Volvo 240 can do that with ease.

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/3/21 12:56 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

To be fair, aren't modern trucks so tall because they're full of good stuff?

It's mostly air gap.

When I can see air through the wheelwells from one side to the other, it's no reason other than styling.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
4/3/21 3:48 p.m.
minivan_racer said:
Keith Tanner said:

Yes this is true.

I mean.... yeah!

Pic of me waiting at a traffic light 

I tell you what. I was easily able to load a dishwasher, clothes washer and dryer into the trucklet by myself that took two people to get into the back of my avalanche. 

Low bed floors are freaking awesome!

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/4/21 2:50 p.m.

In reply to Trent :

Interesting looking rear window ... aftermarket, I assume?

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
4/4/21 4:38 p.m.

This is just a rendering but I like it. Could be on my short list if it's close to this.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
4/4/21 5:01 p.m.

I wish Hyundai would stop with the tall but narrow wheels.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/4/21 5:57 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I like high bed sides. Lets me put stuff in the bed. My first-gen Tundra had lower bed sides, I could only stack tires one level deep with the cover on. Now I can stack them two levels deep.

I don't mind high bed sides relative to the bed floor, I can't tolerate the high bed floors.  Dad's K2500, the bed rails are almost eye level, and I can't sit my 6' tall butt on the tailgate without a pretty serious jump.

And, with stake pockets you can have the best of both worlds with a low bed.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
4/4/21 6:03 p.m.
einy (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Trent :

Interesting looking rear window ... aftermarket, I assume?

Bubble window

Lets you slide the seat back just a bit further

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
4/4/21 7:35 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:
Keith Tanner said:

I don't mind high bed sides relative to the bed floor, I can't tolerate the high bed floors.  Dad's K2500, the bed rails are almost eye level, and I can't sit my 6' tall butt on the tailgate without a pretty serious jump.

And, with stake pockets you can have the best of both worlds with a low bed.

Most people have no idea that things like stake pockets and the ridges stamped in the bed sheetmetal for subdividing it are there for a reason.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
4/8/21 11:17 a.m.

Just released: a teaser video from the team that designed the Santa Cruz

Accompanying press release:

FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif., Apr. 8, 2021 – Hyundai has released a Santa Cruz development video with teaser sketches of its eagerly anticipated Santa Cruz Sport Adventure Vehicle. An enthusiastic Hyundai design team with diverse outdoor pursuits helped fulfill the Santa Cruz concept evolution, ensuring its broad adventure capabilities. Hyundai research confirmed Santa Cruz’ appeal to urban adventure seekers that require daily urban flexibility coupled with the capability for frequent extra-urban adventures. Santa Cruz boasts bold yet sophisticated design, powerful and efficient powertrain options, a flexible, secure open bed for gear, cutting-edge connectivity and a highly maneuverable all-wheel drive platform that is equally at home in urban and adventure-focused environments.

Colin Wood
4/15/21 11:07 a.m.
Colin Wood
4/15/21 11:18 a.m.

Colin Wood
4/15/21 11:24 a.m.

Two engine options:

• 2.5-liter four-cylinder good for " 190+ horsepower and 180+ lb.-ft. of torque"
  • 2.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder good for "275+ horsepower and 310+ lb.-ft. of torque"

The naturally aspirated engine is backed by an eight-speed auto and rated for 3500 lbs. of towing, with the turbo model mated to an eight-speed dual-clutch and can tow 5000 lbs.

Perhaps not surprisingly, the Santa Cruz is smaller than most trucks on the road, coming in at 195.7 in. long and 75 in. wide.

Mark L (Forum Supporter)
Mark L (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/15/21 11:26 a.m.

I want a base level odyssey with a ridgeline driveline.  I want to be able to tow and the wife will not drive a non 4wd car in the winter. A higher end element. 

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sbuwwV733mJNz3QzFV4wMPUBbziMTb5By5GoFF6sQwrUe0aKWyT5MINZyVWA42j1