Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/25/21 8:01 a.m.
feature_image

Late last week, Mazda announced that it would be discontinuing two models after the 2021 model year: the mid-sized Mazda6 sedan and the Mazda2-based CX-3 compact crossover.

No specific reasons are given as to why both models were axed for 2022, but Mazda has left us enough breadcrumbs to hint that it’s developing an all-new, rear-wheel-drive sedan that’s powered by …

Read the rest of the story

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
5/25/21 8:18 a.m.

For one reason or another (shifting consumer tastes, poor marketing, not enough motor, etc) the 6 just didn't sell that well in its current edition to really justify life at Mazda.  I always thought they were pretty, never really wanted one nor could see myself getting interested.  As for the CX-3, Mazda seems to have made it redundant with the introduction of the CX-30.  The only loss I can see is that the CX-30 doesn't offer a manual trans whereas you could get one in the CX-3.  I bet they sold dozens of those (I know someone that has one, she purchased it because it has a manual, but that's a rare situation).

Colin Wood
5/25/21 8:31 a.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

I feel that about the 6. Always thought it was neat, but never quite "let's buy this over everything else on the market" neat.

And yeah, reading between the lines, the CX-30 made the CX-3 kind of redundant. If you are in the market for a CX-3, you'd probably be in the same market for a CX-30.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/25/21 8:36 a.m.

So the skyactiv diesel Mazda 6 wagon really isn't coming now? 

That long roof was one of the best looking...

pres589 (djronnebaum)
5/25/21 8:43 a.m.

My parents somehow ended up in a black Mazda6 rental car a few years ago when I was living in Connecticut and they were going on through to Maine.  It was both really pretty and kind of annoying; why was the roof so low?  Couldn't the center console have been a bit less fat, making it feel / be more spacious for front seat passengers?  

For as pretty as the 6 is, I feel like Mazda should have made it less pretty and a bit more... people buy SUV's to sit up a bit, not feel hemmed in or like they have to dodge the door frame to get in and out easily.  The 6 just wasn't like that in my experience, and that's what my parents said as well.  A few inches added here and there would have really changed their opinions of the car for the better.

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
5/25/21 1:59 p.m.

This is still very logical. And thankfully it shows that someone at Mazda is paying attention. If I'm going to pay big money for a big sedan, I don't want it to be front wheel drive. But I also don't wanna spend big money on some BMW that has high maintenance costs. So this is a step in the right direction. I can get my street six, my rear wheel drive, and my Japanese reliability. Thank you Mosca!

This is still very logical. And thankfully it shows that someone at Mazda is paying attention. If I'm going to pay big money for a big sedan, I don't want it to be front wheel drive. But I also don't wanna spend big money on some BMW that has high maintenance costs. So this is a step in the right direction. I can get my straight six, my rear wheel drive, and my Japanese reliability. Thank you Mazda!

As for the CX three, again it makes sense. I really enjoyed the CX three automatic. That is one of the best shifting regular automatic transmissions you can buy. Four a demonstration go watch the matt Farrah video where he drives one in the canyons.

I'm not sure what the underpinnings are of the CX 30

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/25/21 2:07 p.m.

I always enjoyed my time in the 6 as both a driver and passenger. I thought it was an attractive sedan that offered good interior space without feeling too big.

But that's a shrinking, crowded segment and, other than that awkward IMSA effort, did Mazda ever really market the 6? I'll be honest: Hard to go up against the Camry and offerings from Korea. I'm still surprised Nissan still offers both the Altima and Maxima. 

Colin Wood
5/25/21 2:41 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

I agree that the Mazda6 makes a great wagon. We'll just have to dream for now.

On the bright side, we might be able to import some of those long roof 6's come 2045...

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/25/21 5:12 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

For one reason or another (shifting consumer tastes, poor marketing, not enough motor, etc) the 6 just didn't sell that well in its current edition to really justify life at Mazda.  I always thought they were pretty, never really wanted one nor could see myself getting interested.  As for the CX-3, Mazda seems to have made it redundant with the introduction of the CX-30.  The only loss I can see is that the CX-30 doesn't offer a manual trans whereas you could get one in the CX-3.  I bet they sold dozens of those (I know someone that has one, she purchased it because it has a manual, but that's a rare situation).

I own a 2019 CX-3 and to the best of my knowledge, they were never offered with a manual in the U.S.  Available in Asia throughout their run & available in Canada in 2018.  Although my automatic works fine, I'd rather have an manual.

I see you're in Wichita...did I miss something???

gunner (Forum Supporter)
gunner (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/26/21 7:23 a.m.

I specifically recall the announcement of a new Mazda 6 with a straight 6 cylinder, rear wheel drive and a manual transmission, I do realize that those things don't always come to fruition but any non luxury company that offers a manual transmission typically only offers it with their weakest engine option. Next year or the year after I will be in the market for my next new car and my last new car, the 2001 manual transmission Corolla will be moving along to its next owner. It's pretty much a given to get the manual transmission car I want that I will most likely have to buy new and the Mazda 6 will be at the top of my list if it does have a manual, a straight 6 and RWD so halting production of the current one? If they are going to use the same factories to produce it, I can see why.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
5/26/21 7:52 a.m.

I drove a 2020 6 Turbo when I was car shopping last year. That car was way more fun than I thought it would be. Power came on hard and fast, and it drove great, even with the 6-speed auto. It would lay rubber at will! There were two things I didn't like about it though: the interior and the price. While the interior was nice on its own, the smaller 3 (and the CX-30) have far nicer interiors for less money. And even though the car had been sitting for months on the lot, there were no deals on the thing. I paid about $10k less for my econobox Kia Forte GT which feels like 9/10ths the car the 6 Turbo is, and even that has a nicer interior.

I really hope they bring the 6 back in RWD I6 sedan form. That would easily make the short list for my next car. But I'm not holding my breath.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/26/21 10:15 a.m.

So looking at Mazda's lineup, what do they have left? Mazda CX-30, CX-5 and CX-9 plus Mazda3 and Miata. No hybrids, no EVs, no pickups. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
5/26/21 11:41 a.m.

In reply to RX Reven' :

You're right, she must have a CX-5 with a manual.  I know it's a manual as we talked about it and I actually rode in it once.  

I am indeed back in Wichita.  I've been back for almost two months now.  I left almost five years ago so this sort of feels like a reunion tour.  Odd how little has really changed here in that amount of time.  I came back because it feels like home as much as anywhere else I can think of and home prices are pretty reasonable.  Also got a job that should in theory be the perfect stepping stone to where I want to take my career & such.  Sorry to thread jack.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
5/26/21 11:46 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

So looking at Mazda's lineup, what do they have left? Mazda CX-30, CX-5 and CX-9 plus Mazda3 and Miata. No hybrids, no EVs, no pickups. 

Yeah, in the US at least, that's the situation.  CX-9 and MX-5 sales aren't that hot really, either, although maybe they're able to somehow make money at those levels (28k CX-9 US sales in 2020, 9k MX-5 US sales in 2020).  I don't know that Mazda really needs a pickup here.  I don't know if a new sporty/semi-lux 6 sedan (and maybe coupe?) will reall be a sales hit in this country or not.  If Genesis can move a decent number of units, why not Mazda?

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
5/26/21 12:20 p.m.

This all makes sense.  Mazda doesn't need to be everything to everyone.  They're a niche player, and the CX3 and 6 seem a little redundant based on their portfolio & what americans are buying these days.  I'm pretty sure they dropped the manual trans from the Mazda6 a few years ago, so the purists won't really shed a tear.  Their engine tech has  always been pretty cutting edge (wenkle, miller cycle, skyactive, & their diesel program) and their cars have always been efficient and more sporting than the competition.  Good for them, hopefully they continue to do innovative stuff & design cars that are fun to drive.  

I recall closely following the Mazda diesel program that seemed to be close to launch for YEARS.  Their design requirements specified that they needed to meet emissions requirements, drivability, power and efficiency goals w/out using a DPF (urea fluid spray). I got the impression they needed to match VW but couldn't seem to figure out how VW was getting so much power and efficiency so the program kept trying.  Of course, eventually we learned that VW was using a software cheat (facepalm).  

Did anyone here ever to the ZoomZoomLive events back in the mid 00s?  I did it two years in a row and spent pretty much a whole day flogging their cars around auto-x courses.  There was no wait for the automatic RX8 at one point so my two friends and I just traded off laps in the slushbox car for over an hour.   Standing in line listening to RX-8 owners talk about their issues has kept me from owning one to this date...but I still like/love(?) the rest of their cars.  I will probably own an RX-8 at some point in my lifetime as well.

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/26/21 2:01 p.m.

am I the only one like that liked the interior on the 6? 

I really miss mine

but yet we never got the wagon and everyone is buying SUVs so the sedan is dying and taking this car with it, we shall see with the new RWD i6 platform what the deal is but im not holding my breath

for example in 2020 they sold 150K CX5s in the USA meanwhile only selling ~20K mazda6s... 

and if you we were wondering its about 8-9K of miatas per year too sold here. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HkVVjfSmhUW0MvuzGcxjU5lkqPOrCj7pDVYaoR8IH4Fs29S5A9TMyBrasJlICxr7