1 2 3 4
akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
1/22/18 1:40 p.m.

I want to but this, 

https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/d/2001-montero-limited/6447004647.html

but my wife will kill me two times unless I sell this.

$2800, 

5.7 liters, 3:73 locker, 265hp, 265 watts, 10 speakers, two subs, Bose, 2,3,4,5 or 7 seats.  Just made a trip from Grand Rapids to Detroit by way of Ohio getting 15.5 mpg @ 75.  Lovingly owned by me for the last ten years.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/22/18 1:51 p.m.

How bad is it underneath? I said I'd never own another Michigan car, but......... that's a sweet ride. 

Totally serious. 

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
1/22/18 1:52 p.m.

Loved my gen 3 montero, your van is super clean wish I could pick it up!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/22/18 2:19 p.m.

I have a 3rd Gen Montero. yes

The Sumo Wrestler

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
1/22/18 2:28 p.m.

It's not a tumor, err not a michigan vehicle.  It came from St Louis, only been through two and a half michigan winters, so it is amazingly clean underneath.

Savana SLT model, Very rare and desirable vehicle, unless you are my wife.

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
1/22/18 2:33 p.m.

Two screens, four carpets, 20 lugnuts.  These are craigslist quality pictures, but it is not embarrassing to be seen in...unless you are my wife.

It has had an added trans cooler and Z28 2-4 servo in the trans as a precautionary measure.

mazdeuce - Seth
1/22/18 2:33 p.m.

I mostly know what it is. So it's a pre-LS era van, yes? You need to throw a BUNCH of pictures up. Even if I talk myself out of it, someone here wants it, I can feel it. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/22/18 2:48 p.m.

I once traveled from Ohio to St. Pete, FL in a similar Chevy van. Full factory leather captain's chairs on both rows. 

We pulled a 24ft sailboat. 3 guys down and 4 guys back. The thing was complete road going lux and comfort. It also pulled the boat like it wasn't there. 

Great trip and the van made it that much better. 

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
1/22/18 3:20 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Yes, old school 350, I did give it the 2002 on up injector relocation that eliminates the poppet valves.  

For me the best feature is that the kids can’t even reach each other to be annoying.

Six tall people can stretch out their legs or rest them on a full sized cooler that fits between each row.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
1/22/18 4:24 p.m.

That's a sweet van---- won't last long at that price!   GLWS

mazdeuce - Seth
1/22/18 4:36 p.m.

MORE PICTURES! Come on man, sell me this van. How much do you NEED to make your wife happy? What time frame are we talking? Can you keep it parked in your driveway until One Lap? I need to be able to sell this idea to MY wife and I've got 10 cars at home right now. 

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
1/22/18 4:47 p.m.

What year & how many miles on it?

Dave
Dave Reader
1/22/18 4:48 p.m.

Sweet van. My wife is automotively close minded as yours.

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
1/22/18 6:01 p.m.

2001, 196k And rapidly counting.

More pics coming soon, to a forum near you.

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
1/22/18 6:02 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth

This is my one lap vehicle.

mazdeuce - Seth
1/22/18 6:16 p.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

I don't know about One Lap, but I'm sitting here wondering if I could get it down to $2018 Challenge value. They wouldn't let me autocross it, but I'm 99% sure they'd let me in the wagon class............ Budget deductions for sleeping in your Challenge car instead of in the hotel? 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/22/18 6:18 p.m.

Being a Montero Limited, there were not many options but I see that the one in question has the Climate Control style heat.  This is where you set the temp , like 70 degrees and it keeps the cabin at that temp.  I have the more simplistic 3 knobs where one is red/blue and the other is blower #1-#4.  Run it till your warm and the fiddle with it again to make it cooler, etc.  

Most notable, with  Climate Control version you also get rear HVAC.  This gives you knobs on the back of the center console so the rear passengers can make changes and also gives you air ductwork in the roof giving air directly to the rear passengers.  

On the other hand, my Montero has an optional 6 disk CD changer (which no longer works).  This changer is positioned in the cubby in front of the shift knob.  

You still have the rear tire cover.  I got mine but the clear coat on the plastic is completely shot making it look like hell (I run without the cover.) 

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
1/22/18 6:59 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I prefer simple climate control, but I do like the rear ducts and controls, kind of used to it in the van.

Seller says it got a timing belt and water pump about 3k ago.  Only problem is the rear gate latch is wearing out.

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
1/22/18 7:04 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Want me to load it with some stuff that you can sell?  Ok, $2018 it is and another $750 for me to detail into for you.  It would be sweet bagged with some short fat tires and a pair of small snails under it, there is room you know.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/18 7:46 p.m.
akylekoz said:

In reply to John Welsh :

Only problem is the rear gate latch is wearing out.

As in the rear gate is loose or the handle doesn't always work? If it's anything like my Gen2 the rear handle had no resistance and didn't open the door, the mechanism needed some lube and working back and forth and it has been fine ever since.  

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
1/22/18 7:52 p.m.

He said it was the mechanism and that it was changed once already for $200.

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
1/22/18 7:52 p.m.

My gen 3 was the 20th limited and it was really nice, Stereo was great, AC/heat worked great, comfy seats, excellent 4wd

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
1/22/18 8:22 p.m.

Thanks for all of the helpful Montero input you enablers.  

Now lets finish the job.  Don’t be fooled by some shiny paint, this van can have a ladder rack on top or paint inside, I would venture that it could even haul flowers, happen to know that it hauls engines and other car parts just fine, even 12’ lumber with the doors closed.

mazdeuce - Seth
1/22/18 9:31 p.m.

We end the evening with Mrs. Deuce thinking she has talked me out of the van, while I think I've almost talked her into in..........

More pictures? Otherwise someone else needs to buy it. This would be an epic track hauler. 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
1/22/18 10:43 p.m.

That’s a sweet van.  I’m tempted for sure.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4lzVxv61CW288LbuPaAc4BQB5fN6ZR7xUz2kC6Uv4vS3bAvkeu8IYuj5bRVBUlh8