1 2 3
preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/2/22 1:59 p.m.

I-40 life.

OK is not too too bad. 

From Fresno I am surprised you did not do I-70 but I have not looked where you reside. Dragon is about an hour from Knoxville. Hit it on a weekday when it is in Mexico.

Love the retro Fuchs style. Beautiful car!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/3/22 12:42 a.m.

Quick update typed on the phone as hotel wifi is taking a vacation.

Rolled into Santa Rosa NM fairly late tonight after visiting the Barringer Crater and the Petrified Forest NP. Car continues to run well.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/3/22 9:44 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Excellent!

BoxheadTim
7/3/22 10:42 a.m.

In reply to preach (dudeist priest) :

I-70 runs right past our doorstep, but in the end we decided we wanted to stop at least at some Route 66 sights and see if this is something we want to explore further, especially around NM and AZ. Plus the boring bit in the middle is shorter on I-40 and the distance actually isn't that different. 

BoxheadTim
7/3/22 9:32 p.m.

Mostly a driving day with a stop at the Cadillac Ranch. Stopped about 50 miles East of Oklahoma City for the night. Unless we're making further detours, we should've hit the halfway point of the trip now.

Tomorrow we'll start the detour to the Crater of Diamonds, then figure out how we want to get home from there. 

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/4/22 7:17 a.m.

4th of July weekend trip across country. I am legitimately jealous. This country is beautiful.

BoxheadTim
7/5/22 8:52 a.m.

Made it to the Crater of Diamonds last night, got to play rock hound for an hour or so. We were really surprised that we do like the area in Eastern OK and Alabama we've driven through and thinking about coming back here for another vacation and more digging.

Looks like we'll make it home from here with one more overnight stop, just running up I-30/40 and then I-81.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/5/22 9:08 a.m.

I hope you are taking a crapload of pictures!

BoxheadTim
7/5/22 9:33 a.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Errmmmm.

Not that many - a lot of the last couple of days have been driving days. 

Forgot to mention we're staid in Hope, AR last night. About to hit the road, next stop other than for fuel is going to be east of Nashville TN. 

BoxheadTim
7/6/22 8:51 a.m.

Made it a bit east of Nashville TN last night. Nashville traffic was, err, interesting. I must be becoming a country bumpkin who can't (doesn't want, more likely) handle this kind of traffic anymore.

It's about the same distance from here to home as we drove yesterday, so we've decided to not make another overnight stop and just go for it. There's a chance of bad weather between Knoxville and Roanoke, hopefully we'll get through there before it hits. 

BoxheadTim
7/6/22 9:41 a.m.

Oh, and keeping the bottle of multivitamin gummies in the suitcase in the frunk was a splendid idea.

At least it doesn't look like the blob of former gummies has become sentinent yet. 

BoxheadTim
7/6/22 7:58 p.m.

Just arrived home, 2981 miles since we picked it up. 

Javelin
7/6/22 8:40 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:

Just arrived home, 2981 miles since we picked it up. 

Woohoo!!

BoxheadTim
7/7/22 6:43 p.m.

And it's registered in WV. 

Javelin
7/7/22 7:22 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Come on man, you're killing me. More photos! More story! What's it like? How was the trip?

BoxheadTim
7/8/22 11:52 a.m.

Sorry, haven't even had a chance to pull the few photos off the camera yet - came home and right back into full headless chicken mode.

Overall the trip was great, the main "incident" being the vitamin gummy blob and what I suspect was Bugs Bunny throwing carrots at us at some point[1]. I'm still getting used to the car and especially the PDK - it's almost like it does what you expect it to in Sport mode, but has a mind of its own in normal mode. Of course normal mode being exactly what you'd use on the Interstate.

Like all 911s I've owned or driven, it's a comfortable drive even for 500+ mile days, even after messing up my back a few days before the trip. It drives like a typical 911 in the sense that you feel the front being relatively light (and doing "the nod" if you're hitting the expansion gaps in the concrete surface of the Interstate just right. The big improvement however is that it doesn't immediately attempt to kill you like one of the old ones would if you got a corner slightly wrong.

The engine is a gem with plenty of oomph, this being the 3.8L S. Makes Porsche noises, but subdued ones as it doesn't have the optional Sport exhaust. That's nice on the highway, but on backroads I could do with a bit more noise. That is, if I could even hear the exhaust over the racket the tires make.

[1] We passed a truck full of carrots out in CA that didn't have a cover on the load, so it was merrily dumping carrots on the highway and other cars.

LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/11/22 3:15 p.m.

I've got a 991.2, and know that a few things that the 991.1 guys do is change the steering wheel for the .2 version, and there are aftermarket solutions to get carplay/android auto for a headunit if you want that sort of thing. I also put in the anti-buffeting mirror triangles (makes a good difference if you drive with both windows down, from the pic you posted you don't have them, suncoast is where I got mine https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK9X1MIRROR.html

Javelin
7/11/22 5:21 p.m.

I'll second Suncoast as being an amazing Porsche parts supplier. They have had everything in stock for my 89 944 S2, 00 986 S, and 06 955 S and often cheaper than aftermarket. 

RacerBoy75
RacerBoy75 New Reader
7/12/22 8:11 p.m.

Congrats on the beautiful car! Those wheels do look nice with that color. And you got the bulletproof  9A1 engine! 

I bought my 2010 Cayman S w/PDK in San Diego (won a BaT auction), and drove it 1400 miles home to Seattle, so half the trip you made. It was November, and it was snowing in the Siskiyous mountains, so now I can say that I've driven my Cayman 80 mph in the snow.

I love the PDK, it is more fun in Sport mode, but for slogging along the normal mode is fine. 

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/12/22 8:59 p.m.

I felt the same as you about the stock exhaust on my 981 Cayman S.  A local was selling the factory Sport exhaust so I snapped it up and installed it with a Soul valve controller. In retrospect I wish I had never done it.  The valves being open or closed made almost no difference, and the drone was intolerable on the highway. It was fun for sport driving but super annoying the other 95% of the time. 

BoxheadTim
7/12/22 9:54 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

I recently discovered Suncoast and the fact that a lot of the OEM parts there are much better priced that Pelican, where I used to shop for Porsche parts.

I expect to put a few orders in there, probably with a mix of C3.2 and 997.2 parts.

BoxheadTim
7/12/22 9:55 p.m.

In reply to ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) :

I'm hoping I'd be able to get my posterior to a PCA event where someone has a 997.2 with the sport exhaust. I do appreciate that the car in general is pretty quiet, at least when I discount the tire noise. And the last thing I want/need is drone on the highway.

Javelin
7/12/22 10:03 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

My neighbor has a 987.1 with the Sport Exhaust and it's LOUD and drones hard.

BoxheadTim
7/12/22 10:07 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Yikes. I really don't need that, one of the reasons I bought another 911 was because they're pretty civilised in stock-ish form, and the C3.2 with its headers and dual exit exhaust is already loud enough and then some.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8wo9AO1DC1d74BZ0pSGcdbLMARdc25hhg65Jsuk65yzBkwdYwKfoj8WcdolsaEeg