1 2 3
DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
3/15/15 9:23 p.m.

My family has recently grown to the point that once we load the kids up, two kid stroller, and other essentials to go anywhere (like the air show this weekend) we have very little room to put let's say a cooler, folding chairs, etc. Wife is rocking a Forester and I have a new gen STI. I'd prefer to keep my car and trade up the Forester; but, that doesn't fit in our budget.

Our pre-reqs are more trunk space than the forester or a bed. Towing capacity for a 94 accord chump car with supplies. Capacity to fit crap with two kids and potentially a dog. The good thing is we have positive equity in both of our cars. I'd probably switch to something more GRM for a DD. I really thought a Forester would be the car for a two kid family but I feel thats if they are both teenagers but I also would like some more towing capacity than 900lbs for future things.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
3/15/15 9:30 p.m.

If you were not towing a car the answer would definitely be minivan.

With the towing a car (guessing 3000's lb car + 2000 for the trailer? + spares?) it starts to push you into the larger SUV territory which means you are going to pay at the pump every day for having something that can tow every once in a while.

My montero has plenty of space for 2 kids in carseats+strollers+ stuff and can tow 5500 but it gets around 16mpg which is also what I got with my 2004 F150 5.4 crewcab FX4.

So if she has to DD this vehicle while you get something a bit more GRM her preference on size and vehicle options will probably come into play.

For what its worth my wife prefers our Honda Odyssey to my Montero even tho she prefers SUVs just because of sliding power side doors and trunk when dealing with two little ones (mine are 4 and 1)

It sounds to me that the towing is a want not a need and honestly will compromise the rest of the equation. Neither of your two current vehicles can tow so obviously you have some probably not optimal solution for that already.

Note: My 2004 F150 was super nice leather interior TONS of space inside for people but honestly I didnt like throwing stuff in the bed because then its unsecured and at the time I dirt biked so a topper wasnt an option because they are too short. If new cars were options then maybe even the Ram 1500 with the diesel? But for that money you could buy a used chevy duramax diesel that when tuned might still get the same or better mpg

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/15/15 9:34 p.m.

burban.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
3/15/15 10:05 p.m.

If going full size SUV I'd definitely go burban

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
3/15/15 10:10 p.m.

Suburban for sure.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
3/15/15 10:18 p.m.

Luggage rack? Small trailer? Kids don't stay in carseats and strollers forever. Sell the STI and I bet you'll hurt for a fun car almost immediately.

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
3/15/15 10:22 p.m.

If you are under 5K lbs towing:

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/15/15 10:22 p.m.

I'm not a GM guy but I cannot deny the Suburban. Tough, cheap parts, easy to work on and reasonable gas mileage for a vehicle that size.

Plus room for a small army and great towing capacity.

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
3/15/15 10:24 p.m.

More debt.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
3/15/15 10:29 p.m.

What about using a tow dolly (200Lbs) instead of a trailer? This could open your search to include minivans (which rock) that are cheaper and easy on fuel.

If you need the larger towing and moving kids I vote Suburban or Avalanche, both of which you can find in 3/4 ton range.

Paul

mattm
mattm GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/15/15 10:45 p.m.

I also second the burb, but would add the expedition/navigator in extended length form. If your wife is like mine and doesn't enjoy driving either the extended length version or the regular, you might consider a 2011 and up Durango. It can tow 7500 lbs with the hemi, has a usable 3rd row, but is real wheel drive based unlike most of its competitors. We just traded a navigator L on a Durango and the wife is very happy and I can still tow.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
3/15/15 10:47 p.m.
The_Jed wrote: More debt.

The only debt we have are the cars. No cc, no loans, no student loans, etc. I just have a set parameter for car payments a month. I like to put a lot of money away for the kids education instead.

We aren't just searching new either, used is a very welcome option. Especially with how much Tahoes, burbans, expiditions are new now. We priced some out and even with xplan and similar it was in the high 50s.

towing is a want not a need, co owners of race car have trucks but they won't want to go to all the other events the car will go to.

The wife doesn't drive much during the week now so gas isn't a huge concern and frankly the sti mirrors a trucks mileage.

I'd be comfortable in another 8th gen civic si, a fit, fbody, Volvo 240, etc the cheaper the better the more I get to play lol.

Just looking for what people recommend and have had experience with. I wish a pilot or odyssey could tie more than 3500lbs or I'd just go get one alreadyv

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/15/15 11:03 p.m.

new burbans will do low 20's highway.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
3/16/15 12:15 a.m.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
3/16/15 6:34 a.m.

That's a tough one. IMO the Forrester is already one of the best choices (if not the best) in the SUV/CUV category aside from the towing that is. How about a clamshell for the roof? Load all the stuff on top so you have more room inside. Or keep both cars and just buy a dedicated older pick up for towing. Can you just rent a tow vehicle on the weekends you need it. I don't know, just a thought. Or go with a minivan. I just can't imagine going from a STi/Forrester into a Suburban as your DD. Damn. For me that would suck.

octavious
octavious HalfDork
3/16/15 6:45 a.m.

Can you take the Fozzie and then get her the new kid hauler/tow beast? That would leave you with a good DD, and the gas hog at home with her if she is not driving alot. Plus then she could have all the room to haul the kids around. I mean a soccer mom needs her soccer wagon... (I say that in jest but we are almost there ourselves. Le sigh)

DanyloS
DanyloS New Reader
3/16/15 8:19 a.m.

Possibly a new Xterra: good power, good space, not as big as the suburban/tahoe, practically a wash out interior, still body on frame, will tow 5,000lbs, can still get it with a stick shift, top of the range will likely set you back just under $30k

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
3/16/15 8:45 a.m.

I too was going to recommend a claim shell, rooftop carrier to expand the capabilities of the Forester.
Even $400 spent on a rack system is cheaper than $14,000 spent on a new car.
If done right, you may be able to use the carrier on either car gaining even more versatility.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
3/16/15 8:56 a.m.

If I was in this situation where the STi had to go I would replace it with a Raptor

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
3/16/15 9:08 a.m.

I"d do anything to keep the STI.

This looks like a great option for the Forester.

That being said, we are getting a new face lifted Explorer Sport in a couple of months with 365hp and a 1/4 mile in circa 14 secs, that could alleviate some of the pain of loosing the STI, plus an Explorer is virtually invisible to RADAR compared to an STI

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
3/16/15 9:31 a.m.
clutchsmoke wrote: If I was in this situation where the STi had to go I would replace it with a Raptor

Hnng Raptor Delishness

The explorer option doesnt still let him tow a chumpcar which is lible to need to be trailered home tho lol

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
3/16/15 9:36 a.m.

That's only if I had no other option and I had to get rid of the STi.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/16/15 9:39 a.m.

Keep the STi, get a carrier for the Fozzie, and rent a pickup on the few weekends you need to tow the racecar yourself.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
3/16/15 9:43 a.m.

If you want to keep some of the STi giggles, I'd go Trailblazer SS.

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
3/16/15 9:43 a.m.

For big suv, suburban, for mid size, 4Runner (has quite a bit of capacity, and comfy). Old roadmaster wagon? With towing aside it's hard to beat minivans for capacity and comfort and economy.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sMm4mmbLQ3jsBc8LWUk17EVMwLSK92AHYoHkbDMOkW0gz6r7VTdCCSYF16BXwiMe