1 2
Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
9/4/15 8:08 a.m.

My boss lives vicariously through my rallycross/autocross/club racing volunteering... He asked me yesterday, if you were buying a car new today for autocross what would you buy?

I thought a second, didn't go full-on bonkers like Ferrari or anything, and said probably the brand new MX-5/Miata (sorry, I still call it a Miata). I tend to prefer small cars, less power more nimble, and everything I've heard/read about the car is it's perfect for that. Even not being a convertible guy, if I were going for an autocross car (stock), that's my choice.

What would your choice be today? Keep it stock. Maybe tires I suppose. What say you?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/4/15 8:12 a.m.

I don't know... i don't do stock. I'd go with a new Miata for STR class, or BRZ/FRS for STX, though.

NickD
NickD New Reader
9/4/15 8:13 a.m.

Hellcat Challenger. It makes zero sense, but it'd be hilarious to keep the tires lit the entire and murder every cone in sight, and look and sound good doing it.

If I was to be serious, I would probably go with the ND Miata. Miata is always the answer

neon4891
neon4891 MegaDork
9/4/15 8:20 a.m.
NickD wrote: Hellcat Challenger. It makes zero sense, but it'd be hilarious to keep the tires lit the entire and murder every cone in sight, and look and sound good doing it. If I was to be serious, I would probably go with the ND Miata. Miata is always the answer

Every word of that was utterly brilliant.

NickD
NickD New Reader
9/4/15 8:22 a.m.
neon4891 wrote:
NickD wrote: Hellcat Challenger. It makes zero sense, but it'd be hilarious to keep the tires lit the entire and murder every cone in sight, and look and sound good doing it. If I was to be serious, I would probably go with the ND Miata. Miata is always the answer
Every word of that was utterly brilliant.

Why thank you.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
9/4/15 8:24 a.m.

ND or FRS

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
9/4/15 8:26 a.m.

If I was buying to try to win right now I would get a Focus ST or new WRX until I see how the new miata is classed. The Scion FR-S might be a good current choice with the suspension package but I would avoid CS until I know where the new miata is going.

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
9/4/15 8:29 a.m.

^What he said ^

Or a 2015 VW GTI with the PP for G-Street.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
9/4/15 8:42 a.m.

Hm, didn't think about an FRS.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
9/4/15 8:46 a.m.

The FiST is a very good choice in H street.

G. P. Snorklewacker
G. P. Snorklewacker MegaDork
9/4/15 8:57 a.m.

I'd send him to a track day in your car. He can then figure out which of the cars he sees there appeals to him. The noob group is always full of nice new cars... getting progressively crappier as the groups get faster. Might as well skip clear over auto-x if you are buying dedicated hardware from the start.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired Reader
9/4/15 9:29 a.m.

I'd do a miata, FoST or an FRS/BRZ.

Keep in mind this is a completely uninformed decision, and based solely on my General liking of those cars

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
9/4/15 9:29 a.m.

New GT350. I don't care how it's classed (probably SS or straight to ESP).

More realistically: ND or FRS/BRZ.

I'm guessing we'll get a hint of where the ND ends up after Nationals and Andy Hollis does Non-Comp runs with it.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/4/15 9:41 a.m.

ND as it will become competitive in at least 2 classes depending on state of preparation. The SCCA has too much to loose if they class the MX-5 so that it's not competitive. Mazda provides a large amount of sponsorship and advertising dollars, positions the car to compete with them it's branding and marketing and offer contingencies to the competitors who campaign their cars. The SCCA isn't going to bury it's head in the sand about this. There's a reason that Andy Hollis is driving an ND at nationals for exhibition purposes, and it's all about ensuring the ND is capable of podiuming at the national level in it's yet to be determined street tire and stock classes.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
9/4/15 9:41 a.m.

I like the FiST out of all the hot stock cars at the moment. Of course the ND Miata may change that, depending on what class it ends up in. I have a feeling it'll be top dog in CS or get bumped to BS.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/4/15 9:54 a.m.

Focus ST is ready to go in GS with a rear bar change for the binding issue and some new tires. FiST is also good in HS.

Not sure what else new one can get that just runs right into street class without much change although I agree with everyone that the new ND MX5 will end up getting classed competitively.

The car I've contemplated is the C6 Z06 for AS, but it's not new anymore, though given that most of the guys that buy them end up parking them most of the time you can find a nearly new one for not much money.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/4/15 9:57 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote: ND or FRS

+1

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
9/4/15 10:09 a.m.

One question, how far out is the Focus RS? Next year? Year after?

jr02518
jr02518 Reader
9/4/15 10:19 a.m.

Based on how soft the springs are on the new MX5 I would not be surprised if it ended up with the rest of us in E stock. The NA's are up against the SCCA wanting to flush out the older cars, once again.

Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon UltraDork
9/4/15 10:25 a.m.

Lexus LS460. I know that's silly, but I like to roll in style.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
9/4/15 10:29 a.m.
Jerry wrote: One question, how far out is the Focus RS? Next year? Year after?

IIRC, April or May 2016?

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/4/15 10:39 a.m.

In reply to Ian F:

yup between april and June 2016 :)

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/4/15 10:52 a.m.
moxnix wrote: If I was buying to try to win right now I would get a Focus ST or new WRX.

That's what I'm going to recommend to DD#1 when she replaces her current Impreza wagon some time in the next year or so. Though I doubt she'll have FoRS money available and she prefers AWD, so it will probably be a lightly used 2015 WRX.

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
9/4/15 10:54 a.m.

I don't know how much of it is due to the drivers, but locally the FiST anf FoST do very poorly in street class.

The new WRX also does poorly since they switched to a 6 speed. The guys are always shifting between 2nd and third.

I would go for FRS/BRZ or a Miata.

Can you get deals on some left-over NC's?

NickD
NickD New Reader
9/4/15 11:08 a.m.

In reply to fanfoy:

Must be at your chapter, because the FiST and FoSt clean house at the two chapters I've competed with.

We did have a '15 STi (Pro B/S I think) at an event that got FTD by over 3 seconds over second place, which was a shifter kart piloted by a very experienced driver.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3VoSMBPvzmRyw1pIMOaU9Vc8jQLCvZwk6KlTCrPIMGxFxNyX4E9c4dGNsLEP9OMm