1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/26/14 3:38 p.m.

Do me a favor and please tag it as $2000 Challenge. How to tag? When starting a new thread, look below "tag this topic" towards the bottom of the page.

I have an idea to make Challenge easier to find stuff.

Thanks.

David S. Wallens
10/26/14 3:51 p.m.

And then, in theory, this link will take you to all threads tagged with $2000 Challenge: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/cars/2000-challenge/ (Don't forget to click "show all.")

How to get there without the link? From the home page, click Learn Me. Plus, as you navigate the site, you'll find other ways--basically, any menu that lists car brands will now include $2000 Challenge.

I have gone into the admin and tagged some past Challenge threads to see if this works as intended. So far, I think it's working. By the way, this idea came about during the weekend's town hall meeting. Thanks for the feedback.

The big hope is that this doesn't crash Skynet or something.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/26/14 11:48 p.m.

cool thanks. Just as long as you keep Hal happy

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
10/27/14 10:48 a.m.

I wanted to thank everyone who came to the $2014 Challenge. I think this might have been our best Challenge yet. We really feel like we got the schedule and logistics down this year and came back revitalized and full of ideas to make next year's event even better.

It will be our 15th anniversary. I would like to get as many of our Challengers back and find some of the cars again. Where is the Cheaparral? Denny, do you still have the CR-X? How about the Trabant, the Datsun 510 with the Buick V8 and the Isetta?

We are also bringing back the Thursday night welcome party and will have an official after-party Saturday night, both in the Presidential suite.

We are also looking at doing a test and tune day on Thursday at the nearby FIRM, where we run a lot of our testing. There is also talk of a touring day on Thursday for those who would rather have us show them around the area, instead of testing.

Please help us get your old and new friends back to the $2015 Challenge, Thursday-Saturday Oct. 22-24th, 2015.

dankimber
dankimber New Reader
10/27/14 11:35 a.m.

How do you tag an old thread?

Finally woke up enough to figure out a new one and how to learn.

Thanks, Dan

David S. Wallens
10/27/14 12:46 p.m.
dankimber wrote: How do you tag an old thread? Finally woke up enough to figure out a new one and how to learn. Thanks, Dan

We can tag old threads through the admin. If there's an older Challenge thread that should be tagged, post the URL here and one of us on staff can handle it.

Thanks.

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
10/27/14 2:24 p.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: I wanted to thank everyone who came to the $2014 Challenge. I think this might have been our best Challenge yet. We really feel like we got the schedule and logistics down this year and came back revitalized and full of ideas to make next year's event even better. It will be our 15th anniversary. I would like to get as many of our Challengers back and find some of the cars again. Where is the Cheaparral? Denny, do you still have the CR-X? How about the Trabant, the Datsun 510 with the Buick V8 and the Isetta? We are also bringing back the Thursday night welcome party and will have an official after-party Saturday night, both in the Presidential suite. We are also looking at doing a test and tune day on Thursday at the nearby FIRM, where we run a lot of our testing. There is also talk of a touring day on Thursday for those who would rather have us show them around the area, instead of testing. Please help us get your old and new friends back to the $2015 Challenge, Thursday-Saturday Oct. 22-24th, 2015.

I've been to 10 events and this was one of the best. The Thursday registration will be a big benefit. The food was great. The addition of TnT is greatly welcomed. Only request is to open up the Racing and specifically the Drags about an hour earlier.

Thank you Tim and Staff for your commitment to revitalizing this great event.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/27/14 3:01 p.m.

In reply to Tim Suddard:

Thank you for hosting another great Challenge; it was definitely one to be remembered. I think that I have made it to six challenges spread out over the years and this had that special feel of the early days; a great mix of all types of cars each shooting for personal goals and yet everyone still willing to jump in and help out the guys in need.

Specifically, I would like to thank you for the continued efforts that you are making to share ownership of the event with us participants. It is refreshing and rewarding that we can come together in a "town meeting" at the "village" and share our ideas freely.

I am happily confident that this will continue to be fine tuned into an even better version of what we know as the innovative and premier budget racing event in the country. To me this is not a cheapskate, E36 M3ty event; it is the marquee event in the crapcan car spectrum from the company that literally defines "grassroots".

Hopefully, we competitors can fulfill our duties as ambassadors of the event and draw in the best crowd possible for next year. Seeing cars of the past come back would be fantastic, growing the event at the same time would assure good times for years to come.

Many thanks to each and every person involved in any capacity or role whatsoever, I had a blast!

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
10/27/14 6:08 p.m.

best bribe oldest car award

dankimber
dankimber Reader
10/27/14 7:40 p.m.

Build thread for my car.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/1995-camaro-z28-challenge-project-the-white-trash-/81142/page1/

Dan

KyAllroad
KyAllroad HalfDork
10/28/14 11:54 a.m.

The cheaparral has been donated to the NCM I believe.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
10/28/14 2:05 p.m.

Thanks guys and we will bring back a couple of those older awards like longest drive.

Circuit_Motorsports
Circuit_Motorsports New Reader
10/28/14 2:16 p.m.

It sucked that we missed this year, but we have a lot of time to get our car done for next year and we are definitely planning on coming out for the $2015 event, can't wait!

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
10/28/14 6:04 p.m.

I have to say, since I have never been able to get to a challenge (west coast) having some video from the event would be very nice.

The articles are good, but I don't think they really capture some of the true atmosphere / action. You could wait until the article comes out to release any of the "good stuff" if you want.

Perhaps a YouTube channel. Maybe you could get participants to upload to the channel also (not sure if that is possible).

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
10/30/14 9:15 a.m.

Here's my build thread

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/2014-challenge-corolla/63171/page1/

I didn't make it this year . . . If the stars align correctly, I should make it in 2015 . . . Hopefully.

Wallens . . . If you can, please change that 2014 in the title to 201x

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/30/14 5:23 p.m.

In reply to Tim Suddard: The Cheaparral has made it to the National Corvette Museum! http://corvettemuseum.blogspot.com/2014/10/team-cheaparral-donates-1986-sucker.html

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/31/14 10:05 a.m.
Danny Shields wrote: In reply to Tim Suddard: The Cheaparral has made it to the National Corvette Museum! http://corvettemuseum.blogspot.com/2014/10/team-cheaparral-donates-1986-sucker.html

That's way too cool! Thanks for letting us know Danny! Great to see you at the Challenge---- if only for a short time!

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/31/14 10:09 a.m.

I don't see a "Tag this topic" anywhere....

David S. Wallens
10/31/14 1:46 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: I don't see a "Tag this topic" anywhere....

Are you starting a new topic/thread?

unevolved
unevolved Dork
11/5/14 8:20 a.m.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/1992-civic-hatch-reborn-challenge-car/89153/page1/

Here's the build thread for A&M's old $2009 Challenge Civic I bought off Craigslist earlier this year. I've got an H22 in pieces in the garage that will make its way back in there over the next 11 months, and I plan to be there for the $2015 Challenge as well. Campaigning to get the VG30 Miata to the $2015 as well!

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
11/21/14 8:07 p.m.

From my perspective, it seems this Challenge went right down to the wire. it was actually pretty exciting following along online.

A couple of years ago, I made a suggestion about having a Collegiate Challenge subcategory. Nothing elaborate, just a trophy for the highest finishing collegiate entry. I think it's an untapped market, especially since the focus on Formula SAE is pretty narrow and some schools might enjoy a competition with a little less structure. It would be great if the kids from A&M competed directly against Wreck Racing as well as the entire field.

Remember, there was one young man who got a job based on his participation in the Challenge (I'll have to search the archives for that one). It was a compelling story so it would be great if GRM could be a part of more compelling stories like that one.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
11/21/14 8:27 p.m.

Here is the aforementioned thread. Still a great story...

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/thank-you-grm-from-an-employed-aggie/21473/page1/

Circuit_Motorsports
Circuit_Motorsports New Reader
1/7/15 12:18 p.m.

Not sure if this is the place or not but....is a Battery included in the budget?

Battery box?

Thanks!

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
1/11/15 10:29 p.m.

If it is on the car when the car is competing it counts in the budget.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
1/11/15 10:30 p.m.

In reply to Jerry From LA:

Been pushing for that and more Jerry

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XoWUhFtxK6Y29r0aony0cYD1x1Hzdc2KHOxFfvflrTuOXSX3nssdknFwBNLSt12X