1 2
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/4/14 2:26 p.m.

No, it's not pretty. Get over it. I did, in about a nano-moment...

photo Panamera4008_zpsb51ba310.jpg

skierd
skierd Dork
4/4/14 2:30 p.m.

That's one hell of a loaner. I need to take my car where you take your car.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
4/4/14 2:32 p.m.

That's fugly. Just sayin...

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
4/4/14 2:33 p.m.

What is that the new Camry, or some kind of Hyundai?

Woody
4/4/14 2:33 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: That's fugly. Just sayin...

Looks bad, feels good...

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
4/4/14 2:51 p.m.

Doesn't surprise me. Every time I hear about someone actually driving one of those instead of channeling Buck Nasty (let's see who gets the reference), they come away totally impressed.

Anyway, I'm sure Sir Mix-a-lot is fan.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
4/4/14 3:04 p.m.

You can't see tell what it looks like from the driver's seat anyway.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
4/4/14 3:08 p.m.

In the dark, all cats are gray.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
4/4/14 3:12 p.m.

I actually drove one of those at an autocross, though it was just a V-6 automatic. It was surprisingly good for its size and weight.

And if you want good looks, you could get the wagon version.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
4/4/14 3:12 p.m.

The more I see them the less I hate them. I hope their resale plummets.

confuZion3
confuZion3 UltraDork
4/4/14 3:22 p.m.

I can only see jstein77's picture and read the filename of Woody's post. Is that the Porsche Panamera? I kind of like the Wagon version of whatever car that is.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
4/4/14 3:24 p.m.

I got to spend a weekend driving all of the 2014 Panamera models last fall. Here's my takeaway.

1. Panamera 4S – I really liked the 4S, but not enough to actually purchase one. If I were in an area where 4 wheel drive were a necessity I might rethink that. It was a great car to drive, but not quite good enough to rank any higher than last among its kin.

2. Panamera S e-hybrid – It was a bit eerie to be driving along with only wind and tire noise to keep me company. Perhaps it was the electric gimmickry that had me placing the hybrid above the 4S, but regardless, that’s the way it is. It is entertaining to drive around without any engine noise, though. When using both electric and gasoline engine propulsion, the e-hybrid is downright quick, making you feel green about your performance.

3. Panamera Turbo – This is where it starts to get difficult. The Turbo is a rocket launcher strapped to a bullet train, and it drives with point and shoot simplicity. The V8 makes a scary good noise and is worth the price of admission alone. The Turbo feels most like a GT car, able to gobble up highway miles with aplomb, yet still lay down some crazy good lap times. My only issue, however, is the price of entry. While all Panamera are pretty expensive, the Turbo is a load of cash. The one I drove, a long-wheel-base car, optioned to the maximum, was over 200 grand. That said, if you are looking for supercar performance that can be enjoyed by 4 full sized adults, the Panamera Turbo is the one you want.

4. Panamera GTS – The GTS handles better than any sedan has any right to. It drives like a sports coupe, making you forget that there is an extra couple of feet behind you. It sounds phenomenal and makes any corner bow down in submission. Even without the turbochargers, the 4.8 V8 is more than capable of delivering, and 420 horsepower is more than most people could ask for.

5. Panamera S – As great as the GTS is, the standard S pulls in the win for being the best value. Twenty grand is a big difference in base price, which separates the S from the GTS, and for that money I could buy any number of pure sportscars to satisfy my Sunday drive in the mountains itch. The S is 90% as good as the GTS, and I’m sure it would be ever closer when fitted with the proper options.

My number 1 takeaway from the experience was 'make sure you option it right'. If you don't get sport exhaust and the sport-design steering wheel, you're wasting everyone's time.

Read the rest here and here.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
4/4/14 3:36 p.m.

Hot damn...I had no idea the Turbo got over 200k!! There is a guy at work that has one....obviously he's in a much higher position in the company than I am. wow.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
4/4/14 3:41 p.m.
jstein77 wrote: I actually drove one of those at an autocross, though it was just a V-6 automatic. It was surprisingly good for its size and weight. And if you want good looks, you could get the wagon version.

Wow, that looks pretty dern good to mine eyeballs. Haven't seen that version before. Should of done that from the beginning.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
4/4/14 3:43 p.m.

Locally, I've seen essentially unused cars at -20k vs the new price on the list of craig (I like to look at cars I can't afford almost as much as ones I can). Depreciation hurts a bunch more (and less? gotta have a bit of disposable income to play anywho) at this price point I suppose. I've liked them since I first saw them, but I like the gen2 MS3 and a bunch of other "ugly" cars...

Heh.

Woody
4/4/14 3:45 p.m.

I stopped caring about how cars look just before I decided to buy a WRX, and I loved that car for seven years.

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
4/4/14 3:57 p.m.

Saw someone driving one last week with two car seats in the back and another kid in the front. Beats a Camry!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
4/4/14 3:59 p.m.
Matt B wrote: Doesn't surprise me. Every time I hear about someone actually driving one of those instead of channeling Buck Nasty (let's see who gets the reference), they come away totally impressed. Anyway, I'm sure Sir Mix-a-lot is fan.

No need to be a playa hater.

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
4/4/14 4:09 p.m.

The Turbo S is berkeleying incredible. Had one of my best lapping days at Mosport, ever, in one - 245 km/hr up the back straight. Sounds like a horny tyrranosaurus.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
4/4/14 4:18 p.m.

That wagon version is kinda hot. Is that a real car or a concept? It's WAY better than the sedan.

Woody
4/4/14 4:25 p.m.
Mitchell wrote: Saw someone driving one last week with two car seats in the back and another kid in the front. Beats a Camry!

There's already a car seat in the back of this one.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/4/14 4:32 p.m.
Lesley wrote: Sounds like a horny tyrranosaurus.

Pretty sure I can imaging what that sounds like. You get a +1.

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth New Reader
4/4/14 4:39 p.m.

Woody, when can we all get a turn on the test drive ?

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
4/4/14 4:43 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote:
Matt B wrote: Doesn't surprise me. Every time I hear about someone actually driving one of those instead of channeling Buck Nasty (let's see who gets the reference), they come away totally impressed. Anyway, I'm sure Sir Mix-a-lot is fan.
No need to be a playa hater.

I am enamored of ample posteriors; furthermore, I find myself unable to utter falsehoods.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
4/4/14 4:59 p.m.
scottdownsouth wrote: Woody, when can we all get a turn on the test drive ?

I planned on making a comparison to the Porsche and an ex girlfriend of mine but your comment made me hesitate.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5DFmpy0TpQne24WEOn2ZHNlut3QGHABDVYH8RAE1pBPrYwfMAr7yKZM7IW9DCvY8