Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/16/21 12:11 p.m.

I'm not 100% sure that I want to sell my M3 yet, but I'm considering it. Unfortunately, I'm a horrible salesman and usually end up underselling myself, so I figured I'd ask here this time before making an ad.

Here's the details-

It's a 1995 M3 S50, 5MT, 142XXX miles and a clean title. I've got a partial maintenance log with some receipts from the PO, and I kept a maintenance log of everything I've done during my ownership, but I did most of the work myself, so I don't have many receipts.

Mechanically, the car is extremely solid. I just finished up rebuilding the front and rear suspension this spring. The driveline is solid, and there are no major leaks that I'm aware of right now. Cruise control is inop, and it occasionally gets an ABS fault-I might have damaged a wheel speed sensor while rebuilding the suspension. Cosmetically, the car is a little rougher. It's an E36, so the interior needs attention. The rear door card inserts have fallen out. I still have the pieces, and was intending to wrap them in new fabric before reinstalling them. The headliner and glovebox are also sagging. Like all e36 coupes, the door cards are rough. The originals were beyond salvageable, so I replaced them with a set of late e36 airbag door cards. They're also not great, but they're better than nothing. It also has its fair share of rock chips and dents, and had a bolt in cage at one point in its life-PO did a few HPDE events. I had the Vaders recovered. I'm a little disappointed in how they turned out-it wasn't the best quality job, but they're not cracked or torn.

The only point of concern is that the low oil pressure light comes on at hot idle. I have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge, and the sender's warning contact closes at 7-8psi. I currently have a mechanical gauge attached as well, and can verify that oil pressure does not drop below 7psi at hot idle, which to my knowledge, is within BMW's spec. The light goes away as soon as you blip the throttle. If I end up keeping the car, I'll probably just get it retuned to raise the idle slightly. 

Modifications include:

Engine

• AFE stage 2 intake, dry filter
  • 3.5” euro HFM
  • 21.5# injectors (96+ m3)
  • RKTunes custom tune
  • Turner shorty headers
  • Bimmerworld Midpipe
  • Stromung catback
  • Bimmerworld dual fuel pump kit
  • S54 oil pan, dual sump
  • 87 degC Tstat 

Suspension

• TCKline single adjustable 450/500 F/R
  • Ground control race camber plates
  • Turner front strut tower reinforcement plates
  • H&R 2 pos. swaybars 28mm/24mm F/R
  • Condor eyeball FCABs
  • E46 ZHP steering rack
  • RG solid steering coupler
  • BMW xbrace 
  • Powerflex Black poly RTABs
  • BW 75mm wheel studs M12x1.5
  • Turner RF adjustable sway bar link
  • Turner 10mm spacers, front with hub extenders
  • Bimmerworld Group N motor mounts
  • RE transmission mounts with UUC enforcers
  • Condor Speed Shop UMHW rear subframe mounts
  • AKG 95A poly diff bushings
  • Turner rear lower control arms-bushing end

Driveline

• 3.38 LSD
  • UUC evo3 SSK with DSSR

Brakes

• Front-Wilwood forged superlite 4 piston calipers
  • Euro m3 floating rotors
  • Brake duct kit
  • Street-Carbotech AX6 pads F, 1521 R
  • Track-Carbotech xp10
  • (Front pad: CTW7420, rear: stock m3)
  • ECS Braided brake lines

Wheels/Tires

• Kosei k1 racing 17x8.5
  • Michelin PSS 245/40/17
  • Apex Arc 8 17x9 et30
  • Falken Azenis RT615k+ 255/40/17

Interior

• Momo Montecarlo steering wheel
  • Mason Engineering Clutch pedal
  • Bimmerworld anodized aluminum pedals
  • BFI weighted shift knob (installed)
  • Condor Speed Shop shifter and handbrake boots-M Hurricane pattern
  • Manual Vader seats 
  • RF prime rear speakers 
  • C43 Radio w/ BAVTEK Bluetooth
  • Patina Handle cupholder

Exterior

• Painted kidney grilles
  • Euro style tail lights
  • Motion Motorsport Undertray
  • Bosch Euro Elipsoid Headlights-glass lens
  • MSportParts LTW style side moulding badges

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/16/21 12:41 p.m.

I'd say in the $9k range based on mods. That's where I would start. 

BTW, my '97 e36 M3 has the same oil light flicker at hot idle and it started after the lightened flywheel. I think somehow that affected idle speed as it idles at around 600-700 rpms and looks like yours does too. 

wake74
wake74 Reader
6/16/21 1:58 p.m.

In the current market, I'd shoot for $8-10k.  They are certainly hot right now.  A grand investment and a couple of weekends of interior work, could drive that number up dramatically. I'm just happy if my S52 (and previous M52) oil pressure gauge even moves at full heat soak temp at idle.   I'd say if you are thinking about selling I'd try to strike sooner rather than later while the market is what it is.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
6/16/21 2:01 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

That's the same ballpark that popped in my head as well.

Caprigrip
Caprigrip New Reader
6/16/21 2:07 p.m.

Strangely, I think those values stated are a little low - I'm thinking $12k and up?  Unless you selling to me, in that case it isn't worth much over $3k ;)

Turbine
6/16/21 7:03 p.m.

Yeah, I guess I was hoping for somewhere in the $11-12k range, but thanks for the feedback and for keeping me realistic, guys! 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/16/21 7:05 p.m.

$2021?

Just a suggestion.

Turbine
6/16/21 7:08 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

Lol as much as I'd love to enable someone's challenge dreams, I've gotta have enough money to buy the next project!

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/16/21 7:32 p.m.

In reply to Turbine :

You have some very nice mods, like the S54 oil pan, etc. I just threw a number that seems doable, you might be able to get more. 

I would definitely consider parting some of the mods, like one set of wheels. That would definitely put you in the low 10s. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/16/21 8:25 p.m.
Turbine said:

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

Lol as much as I'd love to enable someone's challenge dreams, I've gotta have enough money to buy the next project!

Hey, you're a terrible salesman, I'm a terrible cheapskate.  laugh

Really nice car.  I'd expect it to bring over $10k

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/16/21 8:42 p.m.

I thought my E28 was a $8-9k car for the longest time but figured in this market it was worth more than that and listed it for the exact number I wanted, which was $11,500. It sold within a week.

I don't think your $11-12k number is off base at all. In this market, stuff is moving fast. Ask for what you really want (within reason of course) and you might be surprised.

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
6/16/21 9:08 p.m.

I was going to say $8k but I haven't really been looking at the used market lately. Sadly mods seem to not add much unless you get the exact right buyer, in which case $10k seems about right to me.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
6/17/21 7:58 a.m.

I hate to say it (because I want to puck another one up someday) but with the mods it's probably atleast 11k car. I'd list it a tick under 13k and stay firm for a month before thinking of lowering the price any.

That S54 oil conversion is 1200 bucks atleast. Spare wheels and tires another 2 grand. Better to buy this than a 10k option and toss 5k into it to make it similar IMO.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
6/17/21 8:31 a.m.

I've been looking at 3' a lot in Ohio the last 2 months, just the fact that it's a manual alone is worth something.  Soooo many autos for an "ultimate driving machine".  (uh does the AC work?)

I'd say $11K myself.  List "$12K OBO"

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WMz7MBJz1SztnuMLfWPfe5kreRFzRdWhbaon94lmwtZhYXCicdltQkEnDsGni0eZ