1 2 3
DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
7/26/14 10:28 a.m.

Like!

Like like like like like!

Super cool serendipity. Can't wait to see it progress.

David

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/26/14 2:07 p.m.

I'm definitely interested, I've been bouncing something like the original Crusader around in my head for god only knows how long, the Sylvia J15 has much the same concept and is immeasurably cool. Definitely keep us up to date on the clone project!

Davidmach500
Davidmach500 None
10/19/14 7:19 p.m.

In reply to jmc14:

We have a one off older Formula Vee Father and Son Project. I have been looking for bodies..Its a little wider than some of the newer Vees.. I love the idea of using a body like this and doing a vintage sports racer... My son(12) wants to when we can order the fiberglass body.. He's more excited than me...lol Please let me know if you do this as we are very interested in doing this...thx

Sultan
Sultan Dork
10/19/14 9:35 p.m.

Wow I love the VW and the Miata! Yet the VW would be cheaper and easier to build. Great work!

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
11/11/14 9:23 p.m.

I haven't posted about this in awhile. Primarily because I've been laid up. I've had a couple of heart attacks this year. Now my Doc tells me that I need surgery. I haven't been allowed to go into the shop or do anything physical. My insurance was cancelled a few weeks before my heart attacks and because of new sign up time requirements I'm not covered until Jan. So, I'm laying low waiting until the new insurance kicks in.

Stuck at home, I cruise the car forums, dream of getting to drive my Cobra tribute and search the internet for old fiberglass car bodies. A few weeks ago I came across a complete set of molds for one of my favorite looking cars of all time. A 1966 Abarath SP1000. Yes, I bought them. They are being packed and shipped to me right now. The car is mid engine, is about 65 inches wide, has an 86.7 inch wheelbase, and is 36 inches tall. (if my memory is still good).

It's almost the same size as the Crusader. I'm thinking that I'll have 2 bodies to fit the same chassis.

A friend of mine owned a large fiberglass company. He has passed but I still have a relationship with the company. I am going to use them to make my bodies. I also have a good friend that builds race car chassis as his business. He is working on a frame for me right now. I'm out of the shop but still in the game. I'm optimistic and hope full for the future and am looking forward to working on cars. In the mean time I'll have others do my work.

Here are a few pics of the Abarath.[URL=http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/jmcbigbelly/media/fiatabarathside1000greatpic_zpsb6ca17ed.jpg.html][/URL][URL=http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/jmcbigbelly/media/fiatabarathrear2_zps6c283ee4.jpg.html][/URL][URL=http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/jmcbigbelly/media/fiatabarathsp1000interior_zps09a7eb2e.jpg.html][/URL][URL=http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/jmcbigbelly/media/fiatabarathfromhighspecialpic_zps077de280.jpg.html][/URL][URL=http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/jmcbigbelly/media/fiatabarathsp1000front_zpsb8029997.jpg.html][/URL]

stroker
stroker SuperDork
11/11/14 9:35 p.m.

In reply to jmc14:

Man, that's slicker'n snot on a doorknob...

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
11/11/14 10:54 p.m.

That Abarth is gorgeous!

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
11/11/14 11:30 p.m.

Geez, this thread has got my juices flowing....my dad had one of these catalogs back when I was a kid and I stared at it for hours...

photo kellison_cat_59_zpsb7322712.jpg

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
11/11/14 11:43 p.m.

I actually have a Kellison J5 body, a and a few other old ones as well. Like I said, I'm addicted. :)

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
11/12/14 7:28 a.m.

Sorry to hear about your health problems. You probaoly want to stay away from fiberglass fumes unitl you get repaired. BTW I thought the ACA took care of all insurance problems??

Just great to retire early and get kicked in the butt like that.

BTW, I love the Fiat Abarth body too. That could be a little money maker for you.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/12/14 8:48 a.m.

In reply to jmc14:

Wow, that is gorgeous. Do you think there is any chance of you selling bodies pulled from those molds?

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/12/14 6:27 p.m.

Drove this at an autocross this year. It's an Ambro. Tube frame, 327 Corvette engine, 240 z running gear. Crazy fast. The tires are just too skinny.

Get back to good health. Don, who owns this, had a heart attack part way through the build. He's fine now.

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
11/12/14 7:25 p.m.

Thank you for the comments and words of support. I'll be back better than ever!

I am familiar with the Ambro. The body is now available from Bill Bonadio and, I think, is called the Dio type 61.

Its a small world. I now live in my home town of Elizabethtown, NY. I moved away when I was 5 and moved back in 1987 at age 31. I met a guy in Etown that was driving around in a modified Corvair. His name was Bill Ames. We got talking. He was from MN and I lived in MN for a time, not far from where he lived. He and his partner created the Ambro and sold bodies for it. They created it by combining features from a Lister Knobbly and a Maserati type 61. I ended up building a Lister Knobbly replica and racing it at some events. I met Bill and his Dio Type 61 at those events. The car in my profile I built and was inspired by the Lister. I love all of those cars.

I think the Abarath is spectacular looking. It is my intention to have a dedicated space frame to which readily available suspension (thinking Miata suspension parts) and drivetrains will bolt to. I plan to offer the bodies for sale and a kit for the frame/body. I will have my friends build the frames and the bodies. I will just have the parts shipped to my shop and play with the car and ship them out if any one wants one. This is purely for fun and a hobby. It is not to make a living. It is what I want to do in my retirement. I am planning for a full recovery and looking forward to the future.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/12/14 7:33 p.m.
jmc14 wrote: Thank you for the comments and words of support. I'll be back better than ever! I am familiar with the Ambro. The body is now available from Bill Bonadio and, I think, is called the Dio type 61. Its a small world. I now live in my home town of Elizabethtown, NY. I moved away when I was 5 and moved back in 1987 at age 31. I met a guy in Etown that was driving around in a modified Corvair. His name was Bill Ames. We got talking. He was from MN and I lived in MN for a time, not far from where he lived. He and his partner created the Ambro and sold bodies for it. They created it by combining features from a Lister Knobbly and a Maserati type 61. I ended up building a Lister Knobbly replica and racing it at some events. I met Bill and his Dio Type 61 at those events. The car in my profile I built and was inspired by the Lister. I love all of those cars. I think the Abarath is spectacular looking. It is my intention to have a dedicated space frame to which readily available suspension (thinking Miata suspension parts) and drivetrains will bolt to. I plan to offer the bodies for sale and a kit for the frame/body. I will have my friends build the frames and the bodies. I will just have the parts shipped to my shop and play with the car and ship them out if any one wants one. This is purely for fun and a hobby. It is not to make a living. It is what I want to do in my retirement. I am planning for a full recovery and looking forward to the future.

Don's been approached by Bill about selling the Dio bodies but he's more interested in the next project coming down the pike. You may get to see the car as we are in Vermont and Don runs in VRG and VSCCA.

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
11/12/14 7:51 p.m.

I will definitely be at some of the VRG and VSCCA events. I look forward to meeting you and seeing the car.

MattGent
MattGent Reader
11/12/14 8:15 p.m.

That Abarth body is beautiful! Most attempts at kit car bodies have something a bit out of proportion.

Another one I happen to like a lot is the Sylva/Fisher Fury

Good luck with your health, nothing to mess with!

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
11/12/14 8:37 p.m.

Sorry to thread jack but the story about the Ambro just reminded me about how small the world can be. Bill runs with our Z club autocross occasionally and brings one out. Its one scary beast.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/13/14 8:33 a.m.
jmc14 wrote: I think the Abarath is spectacular looking. It is my intention to have a dedicated space frame to which readily available suspension (thinking Miata suspension parts) and drivetrains will bolt to. I plan to offer the bodies for sale and a kit for the frame/body. I will have my friends build the frames and the bodies. I will just have the parts shipped to my shop and play with the car and ship them out if any one wants one. This is purely for fun and a hobby. It is not to make a living. It is what I want to do in my retirement. I am planning for a full recovery and looking forward to the future.

Wow, that is awesome news. Sounds like your plans for the frame are exactly what I thinking. Miata suspension and a choice of powerplants that make sense. Please keep us informed and mark me as "VERY INTERESTED".

Best wishes for your health improving.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
11/13/14 8:45 a.m.

Get that ticker squared away!

Would love to see more of that Abarth body running around.

Those old sportsracer bodies are some of the best looking things out there. The engineer in me struggles between the love of their shape and the function over form evolution that happened after that era. I love those bodies too much to pass them by for function (and thats saying a lot).

Sultan
Sultan Dork
12/17/14 10:27 p.m.

Is the Fisher Fury still on the market?

Jmc14. Hope you are feeling better.

Hasbro
Hasbro SuperDork
12/18/14 9:01 a.m.

There's usually a Fisher ad in the back of GRM.

http://www.furysportscars.co.uk/

galekmotorsports.com

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
12/18/14 9:33 a.m.

With VW transaxles getting a bit thin on the ground, I'm surprised nobody is adapting GM front-drive cradle assemblies to these cars.

A Cobalt cradle would be a great option and give you a manual gearbox option as well.

Say what you want, it worked great for the Fiero.

Sultan
Sultan Dork
12/23/14 4:27 p.m.

So I came across this thread. The current owner of Beach is posting in this thread.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57501

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vd08Ur6cX3pTr2rQx89nN9LuEnGn34ijOJsYt3Aav3gGmd7XSS3zFVcQUiqdwY2p