1 2
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/14/13 11:30 a.m.

I'm thinking this thread is some sort of alcohol induced practical joke.

Jonny's a pretty competent mechanic, and a 100%er at the $20XX Challenge.

He's messing with you guys.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/14/13 11:33 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: Okay, I understand no sponge. How about coarse wire mesh, think steel wool with much larger strands and much coarser mesh, say 1/4" openings? I've seen something similar used in valve covers as an oil/vapor separator.

Why would you even think about adding loose metal filings designed to cut metal to your engine internals?

Are you in cahoots with Jonny?

How about adding jelly beans, or used grinding disks, or sand?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/14/13 11:34 a.m.

Hmmm.... Curmudgeon is a mechanic too.

You guys forget to run the exhaust hose out of the shop again?

GVX19
GVX19 Reader
9/14/13 1:33 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

LOL,,,,, I will try it and It will work. It works for fuel. It works for water. I don't know why it wont work for oil.

The next thing your going to tell me is, If I put a car battery on cement it will loose its charge.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/14/13 1:38 p.m.

I'm not the least bit surprised (says one guy who raced a Yugo to another).

My real question though, is why?

It's not that hard to build a baffle, and the potential risk seems pretty high.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/14/13 1:41 p.m.

Don't forget- fuel is filtered AFTER it leaves the tank (or AS it is leaving). If the sponge breaks down in any way, contaminants are removed long before they get inside the engine.

And water never enters the combustion chamber, so contaminants are not very risky.

No so in the oil pan.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/14/13 1:46 p.m.

If the problem is the oil sloshing, why not just fill the engine all the way to the top. That's what you do with the fuel tank to keep the fuel from sloshing,

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/14/13 2:03 p.m.
Knurled wrote: If the problem is the oil sloshing, why not just fill the engine all the way to the top. That's what you do with the fuel tank to keep the fuel from sloshing,

Ummm... that's called hydrolocking.

Oil does not compress. You can't run an engine completely full of oil.

GVX19
GVX19 Reader
9/14/13 2:21 p.m.
Knurled wrote: If the problem is the oil sloshing, why not just fill the engine all the way to the top. That's what you do with the fuel tank to keep the fuel from sloshing,

Its not a Jonny Dear Tractor

That is how tractors are made. My Yugo moves a bit faster than they do.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/14/13 3:23 p.m.

Note that I didn't say to do it, I merely asked why not.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/14/13 3:58 p.m.
GVX19 wrote: That is how tractors are made. My Yugo moves a bit faster than they do.

Your Audi might not after you put steel wool in the engine! ;)

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
9/14/13 4:41 p.m.
SVreX wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote: Okay, I understand no sponge. How about coarse wire mesh, think steel wool with much larger strands and much coarser mesh, say 1/4" openings? I've seen something similar used in valve covers as an oil/vapor separator.
Why would you even think about adding loose metal filings designed to cut metal to your engine internals? Are you in cahoots with Jonny? How about adding jelly beans, or used grinding disks, or sand?

This stuff is what I had in mind.

It would be a similar idea to the foam used in fuel cells to prevent slosh. I think something similar is used in aircraft fuel tanks.

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
9/14/13 5:55 p.m.

In reply to GVX19: No that is on cement.

GVX19
GVX19 Reader
9/14/13 6:19 p.m.

I was thinking more like expanded metal. It can be cut to fit the pan, stack it in layers to get the desired thickness. And it wont brake off and find its way in to the filter

GVX19
GVX19 Reader
9/14/13 6:28 p.m.
iceracer wrote: In reply to GVX19: No that is on cement.

lol,, This is what I don't get.

If it was a good battery was good why is it out?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gswZDAjcpHgfSBLH78aNNHZx2lVOqFpWuIN4PYT9Xc18EwrI3m6mBIn4hrbGDeqc