F20c + drivetrain...ITB's.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/26/18 9:08 p.m.

By the way,  I REALLY wanted this car. 

USERNAMETAKEN
USERNAMETAKEN GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/26/18 9:50 p.m.

If I were made out of money (which I'm not) I'd find a 2.3 EcoBoost to be very appealing.

USERNAMETAKEN
2/27/18 7:23 a.m.

Maybe I'll buy this thing and steal the whole drivetrain:

https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/cto/d/1996-miata-cart/6494642369.html

I get why people like this kind of thing, but doesn't fit my esthetic.  Anyone interested in the wheels and suspension if I do buy it?

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
2/27/18 9:31 a.m.

In reply to USERNAMETAKEN :

$2000 seems steep for a drivetrain donor that's been hacked up. Here's one with a hard top that's not been hacked up, for $2500.

https://rockies.craigslist.org/cto/d/1996-mazda-miata/6502279192.html

You'd be better able to sell off parts from it to recoup your costs, that's for sure.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
2/27/18 10:08 a.m.

Car-parts.com shows 2.0 ecoboost from things like the Ford Fusion for  $300-500. Either use a NC Miata, Late Durate Ranger ($300), or Ecoboost Mustang transmission. Buy the controls pack from Jegs for ...$1600

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/27/18 10:11 a.m.
USERNAMETAKEN
2/27/18 5:02 p.m.

Yeah, I saw that one up in the mountains.  It does look nice, and I could sell the hard top and roll bar for a good amount.

I'm limited on both space and marital patience when it comes to donor cars.  I think I could strip and minimize the hacked one rather quickly and unobtrusively.  Then I can plasma the tub and haul it away.

I would think all the lift-kit parts might sell quickly - maybe that's not really the case.

I could definitely get a more complete car, with lots more to get rid of after I strip out the drivetrain.  I suppose the remaining tub might be attractive to a Spec Miata racer.  Particularly with the hard top.  And isn't the 1.6 the hot ticket for SM?

I'm pretty tempted by this one too:

https://denver.craigslist.org/pts/d/mazda-rx7-gxl-1990/6483428350.html

I had an 87 GXL for a while, and that engine is a gem.

USERNAMETAKEN
2/28/18 4:51 p.m.

My plan is evolving.

I've been texting with the seller, and he's been telling me about the TR6 motor.  It's got 0.030" over forged flat-top pistons, full-seal piston rings, already has hardened valve seats.  7.5:1 compression ratio on a CC'ed and polished head.  He was running 12 psi on pump unleaded.  I'm feeling like I can't send that mill to the scrap yard.

From what he says it'll need new crank bearings.  If all it took was that and maybe a crank grind, that wouldn't be a bad rebuild.  Not going to break the bank there.

From there, build up that EFI manifold I've been daydreaming about for 15 years, and a sch 40 turbo manifold to match.  That'd be pretty sweet.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
2/28/18 5:02 p.m.

Sorry, but after 40 years of trying to make Brit engines want to enjoy their job, I have decided that they are the embodiment of a late 70's British Leyland worker and just ain't ever going to be happy no matter what you do for them.

The Miata 1.8 swap has more upside in all respects.

I do however. also appreciate what it takes to do a decent $wap, so carry on

Pete

USERNAMETAKEN
3/1/18 11:54 a.m.

Yeah, Pete, the cold hard truth is you're probably right.  If I want a fun reliable driver I should probably invest the time in the swap.  The finest fuel injected turbo tractor motor will still remain a tractor motor.

No need to decide yet.  Car ships Saturday, and my main focus needs to be getting a space cleared out for it in the garage.

Scott

wspohn
wspohn Dork
3/1/18 3:50 p.m.

Here's how I ran my 63 for awhile.....

USERNAMETAKEN
3/1/18 4:40 p.m.

In reply to wspohn :

Ok, I give.  What flavor of motor is that?

USERNAMETAKEN
3/1/18 8:38 p.m.

The seller has been sending me a million old pictures.  Pretty awesome.

USERNAMETAKEN
3/1/18 8:40 p.m.

In the original burgundy:

USERNAMETAKEN
3/1/18 8:45 p.m.

I've definitely been connecting with the "garage clean-up" thread.  I'm living that one right now.  Major reorganization is underway.  Machines will be moved.

My buddy came over and was the wise counselor about throwing away things I'd never use.  And he hauled away a ton of stuff to clutter his own garage!

Nothing like a deadline to motivate.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/2/18 11:07 a.m.
USERNAMETAKEN said:

In reply to wspohn :

Ok, I give.  What flavor of motor is that?

That appears to be an Twin Cam from an MGA.    Pretty darn valuable engine these days if I'm correct in the guessing.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
3/2/18 11:22 a.m.

MGA tin cam

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Plus they all blow-up due to some minor fueling issue.

They do look good though and they don't have to run to do that.

USERNAMETAKEN
3/2/18 12:49 p.m.

What about a 3.7 L V6 from a 2010-ish Mustang?  That would be reasonably light, has great power, and would probably run forever.

May need to research that one further.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/2/18 1:04 p.m.
USERNAMETAKEN said:

What about a 3.7 L V6 from a 2010-ish Mustang?  That would be reasonably light, has great power, and would probably run forever.

Straight 6> V6

USERNAMETAKEN
3/2/18 1:51 p.m.
Straight 6> V6

You don't like the 3.7 Mustang engine, or you're generally in favor of I6 motors?  I looked at the Nissan motors, and it's definitely a possibility.  I just don't know anything about them.

I've been doing more research on EcoBoost motors in conjunction with an NC trans, and that may definitely be a possibility.

Really need to tear myself away and do work that people pay me to do...

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/2/18 2:14 p.m.
USERNAMETAKEN said:

They sound like a vaccum cleaner, and not in a good way.  Your new TVR should sound as good as it looks!  A V6 Ford mill will not make good noises.  

The one upside to keeping the Triumph straight six is the glorious sound it makes.   Of course, it's also a massive boat anchor of an engine....... 

USERNAMETAKEN
3/2/18 2:39 p.m.
Joe Gearin said:

They sound like a vaccum cleaner, and not in a good way. 

Like a Dyson or more like your standard Hoover?  Upright or Shop Vac?

Isn't that just a question of a different exhaust?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/2/18 2:47 p.m.
crankwalk said:
USERNAMETAKEN said:

Straight 6> V6

Except that historically, TVR's have used V6 Ford's for a long time.  I had a friend in England that had a 2.9 Cologne TVR- what a great car that was.  

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/2/18 2:48 p.m.
Joe Gearin said:
USERNAMETAKEN said:

They sound like a vaccum cleaner, and not in a good way.  Your new TVR should sound as good as it looks!  A V6 Ford mill will not make good noises.  

The one upside to keeping the Triumph straight six is the glorious sound it makes.   Of course, it's also a massive boat anchor of an engine....... 

Why do you think the 3.7l HAS to sound like it does in a Mustang?  It can change pretty easily.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
whuJqqZP48O1mg5Hzu7NGjtcmFQPQHY1mwhFF2er2cIp6OGOxlmpmkmJ2ztInn78