1 2 3
USERNAMETAKEN
USERNAMETAKEN GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/2/18 3:41 p.m.
Except that historically, TVR's have used V6 Ford's for a long time.  I had a friend in England that had a 2.9 Cologne TVR- what a great car that was.  

Yup, that's one reason I like the idea of this.  Nominally historically valid.  Certainly within the TVR spirit.

I test drove a 2013 convertible with this V6 and a 6 spd before I bought my '07 GT.  The car was super fast, and I don't recall any ugly sucking sounds coming out the tailpipe.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/2/18 3:54 p.m.
alfadriver said:
Joe Gearin said:
USERNAMETAKEN said:

What about a 3.7 L V6 from a 2010-ish Mustang?  That would be reasonably light, has great power, and would probably run forever.

May need to research that one further.

They sound like a vaccum cleaner, and not in a good way.  Your new TVR should sound as good as it looks!  A V6 Ford mill will not make good noises.  

The one upside to keeping the Triumph straight six is the glorious sound it makes.   Of course, it's also a massive boat anchor of an engine....... 

Why do you think the 3.7l HAS to sound like it does in a Mustang?  It can change pretty easily.

Maybe it's just me, but it's very rare that I come across a V6 that actually sounds good.  Most sound ok--- I'd throw the Nissan VQ into that, along with the Acura / Honda V6.  I've never heard a good sounding Ford V6, besides maybe the SHO engine, but that had Yamaha's help.   Alfa makes a great sounding V6, of course Ferrari did as well with the Dino / Stratos.   I've heard the Hyundai V6 in the newer Genesis Coupe sounds great--- but I have no direct experience. 

For this sub 2000 lb car, power will be easy--- really if it makes 200 hp at the wheels it will be a rocket.  Nearly any modernish engine can hit that number.   Sound and visceral feel are important to me in the driving experience.  I'd much rather drive something that makes my hairs stand on end, than something that drones, or that sings an uninspiring song.   When you can put nearly anything in there--- why not have it sound great?  

USERNAMETAKEN
3/2/18 5:41 p.m.

Yeah for sure, Joe.  Gotta make the right noises!

I was listening to audio clips on the American Muscle site of different exhausts for the 2.3 EcoBoost and the 3.7, and there are a lot of options.  And the stock exhausts on both do sound pretty yuck.

The exhaust-tone high-water mark for me will always be my FC3S with the Bonez Racing duals.  That thing sounded so good that I'd drive around looking for tunnels.

USERNAMETAKEN
3/2/18 8:54 p.m.

Well I'm officially pooping my pants.  Car is supposed to be shipped tomorrow.  Check is deposited.  Title is in the mail back to me.  Truck driver was supposed to contact seller.

AND NO ONE WILL TELL ME IF PICK UP ARRANGEMENTS HAVE BEEN MADE!!

All of Florida is silent.  All parties are ignoring said buyer.

This whole buying/shipping site-unseen business isn't for the faint of heart.  Time to thoroughly self medicate...

crankwalk
crankwalk SuperDork
3/2/18 9:44 p.m.
alfadriver said:
crankwalk said:
USERNAMETAKEN said:

What about a 3.7 L V6 from a 2010-ish Mustang?  That would be reasonably light, has great power, and would probably run forever.

May need to research that one further.

Straight 6> V6

Except that historically, TVR's have used V6 Ford's for a long time.  I had a friend in England that had a 2.9 Cologne TVR- what a great car that was.  

My opinion has nothing to do with what TVRs historically had or didn’t have. Inline 6s sound better, rev better, and are very well balanced. Makes a better experience overall for me.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
3/2/18 10:11 p.m.

How are those late v6s to swap? Have any been completed? Specifically the 11 up mustang 300hp unit?

USERNAMETAKEN
3/3/18 8:17 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

I've not found a lot of info on swapping the V6.  I'm going to search around a bit more.  I'm intrigued, at least.

I was thinking about it, and I've never actually owned anything with six cylinders.  Lots of I4's and V8's, with a rotary thrown in.

USERNAMETAKEN
3/5/18 6:53 p.m.

The TVR has left Florida!

USERNAMETAKEN
3/5/18 6:55 p.m.

I guess the driver was concerned about getting the big hauler into the neighborhood, so they sent a smaller trailer and transferred the car elsewhere.

Projected delivery: Friday.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
3/5/18 8:59 p.m.

So, way out of left field, but what about a Ford Barra?  Would it even fit?  Would be a nice modern straight six, with some Ford psuedo-historical tie-ins.

USERNAMETAKEN
3/6/18 7:02 a.m.

Gotta love this forum.  Never even heard of the Ford Barra. 

Fun to think about, but no, I'm not going to source an Australian-market engine for the car.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8sdOJHZvPaKZdC1eUwboSMoAFKxKUavLkFPJlwmPFXOWKfCTkS1qRK8WlqvM2bOa