1 2
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/16 3:13 p.m.

SWMBO and I have been shopping for a Prius for her for months. We finally found one that met the exact requirements, a 2010 Certified Pre-Owned package 2 in Grey with 26,000 miles, for less than $15,000. It's in Yakima, WA and I just had the bank wire the funds...

What did I do?!?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
2/24/16 3:14 p.m.

I do that as a hobby

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/24/16 3:15 p.m.

The easiest purchase ever you'll wonder why you don't go this route all the time.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/16 3:31 p.m.

You bought a Prius.

You're also a vegan

Therefore you've reached "Granola" level in the PNW hierarchy.

The next levels get more difficult, hemp clothing, beards, man buns and patchiouli among other things.

Javelin
2/24/16 3:33 p.m.

In reply to Stefan (Not Bruce):

My wallet is hemp and I have a goatee...

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
2/24/16 3:36 p.m.

Amature. I've bought cars sight-unseen thrice that distance.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
2/24/16 3:39 p.m.

Are you having it shipped to your door or are you going to actually travel the 300 miles yourself?
I'll bet $150 will bring it right to your door.

Desmond
Desmond HalfDork
2/24/16 3:41 p.m.

I flew out from Utah to Colorado to buy my E36 M3, sight unseen. Best way to get acquainted with your new purchase is to spend a good half day with it driving it home.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/16 3:41 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to Stefan (Not Bruce): My wallet is hemp and I have a goatee...

You are well on your way, padawan, you must acquire ironic glasses, clothing and skinny jeans.

Me? I'm buying a Focus RS because screw the granola mafia and I only drive once or twice a week :)

Seriously though, it's a Prius. Go get it and drive it back. Bring lots of stuff to keep everyone occupied, it will be boring and slow but you'll make it without issue.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
2/24/16 3:43 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: Amature. I've bought cars sight-unseen thrice that distance.

1100 miles is my record. All for a 400$ corolla!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
2/24/16 3:44 p.m.

It's the only way to truly live.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Reader
2/24/16 3:46 p.m.

It's a Prius, what could go wrong?

I bought a '92 Miata with over 200k on it ~750 miles from home, then drove it ~3000 miles.

As a vacation.

With my wife.

Granted, it was from a member here, so I was reasonably sure it would turn out OK.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb HalfDork
2/24/16 3:55 p.m.

I did about 500 miles for a sight unseen wrangler, but I cheated, It came home on a trailer.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/24/16 4:02 p.m.

No NPR tote bag?

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
2/24/16 4:06 p.m.

That's nothing. For my 2nd or 3rd wedding anniversary weekend We flew from Boston to ....

As some of you might know. Jane and I fly in to Milwaukee to go get a 62 dodge parts car that was to be in driveable shape.

Jane and myself got back form our long weekend Tuesday at ~ 1:00pm. Well the trip to Milwaukee started out okay but quickly turned sour….

At the airport the outside check in computer crashed, as he was tiring to check us in. Inside there was a snotty 20 something girl behind us that insisted on using the kiosk check in when she was next in line for the teller and was told not to use it by her boy friend and the teller. The teller checked us in and mistakenly put one to the girls baggage tickets on my Tool Box, thus my tool box when to Seattle Washington instead of Milwaukee.

The seller of the car came and picked us up at the airport. When we got to the house and saw the car I was disappointed to find more then the “good for its age” rust. I know I’d find more then promise but this was horrifying! They’re a 1-foot square missing under your feet on both sides!! And it’s been there a long time as the carpet was worn away! Next a look at the front end and hey there’s a missing headlight, “Oh ya but you don’t need head lights” Say what! Mr. I’m driving 1100 miles I need head lights. Also missing was a big area behind the lower lights in the fender like 14 inches back on both sides. So off to Checkers to get headlights and wiper blades and duct tape. Got the lights and tape no problem but the wipers were a no go, needed ANCO brand refills, as the arm is spot-welded on. Okay Rain-X for now stop at Wal-mart latter for the Anco refills. Back to the houses. Car runs but not great have tune up parts but no tools, seller has little so I pass on the tune up. We pay and get out of there.

Off to the tire shop as the tires are junk not a little worn….JUNK. Prayed we’d make it that far we did. On the way the car stalled four times and once it was warm the trany at red lights would fall out of gear then as you stepped on the gas it would slam in and learch and leave a pile of rust behind. The fluid level was good and it smelt fine before we left. Pull in to Mr. P’s tires to find a very energetic guy to help us. Jane’s not looking good so I ask her she says we need to tow it cause we have no tools and there tornado and hail warnings. So I have the guy mount two used tires so we can us one of those dollies to tow it. Off to U-Haul (should be called U-are screwed) we get there they tell me it’s too wide for a dolly. Okay pall give me the trailer. Sorry we don’t have one but the downtown one does. Okay I’ll go there but wait they don’t have any trucks! So Jane drives a F350 with the 14-foot box and I drive the 62 Dart over to the downtown local. After an hour wait at the second u-haul we get a new looking trailer! Oh but wait there’s no wires for the lights. Oh Mr. U-haul…. oh I’ll just twist them together for you…. what no tape! You’ve got to be kidding right! Nope have a nice day…. Off to the gas station as the trucks blinking LOW FUEL…. but it should have a ¼ tank.

Okay all loaded up. Head in to down town Milwaukee. WOW what a nice city!! Not crowed like Boston or any other big city. Well labeled and laid out streets. Find the hotel after driving by twice while looking for a parking lot that will take us. We do with little problem, just promises the guy were not moving it until we leave the next day.

Call the airline, Were is my box? Well sir it should be hear on the 9pm flight we’ll call you. Okay. Off to dinner We’ve not eaten since 4am. We walk down to the 3rd Street Pier. Very nice up scale fish and steak house, but do to strange weather no out side dinning tonight. Nice view of the river and down town. On the way back it pours rain were drenched. Umbrellas are still packed Doh………..

Sunday: No word from the airline. I’m pissed! There ~ $600 in tools in the box and it’s cost me a lot for the dam u-haul. I asked to be called ASAP but no word comes. Off on a 1.3 mile walk to breakfast at Miss Katie’s Dinner. (food network show $40 a day was there last month) Nice place great food and CHEAP. A definite must when we go back.

Nice clean city, I noted very few people out and about, but all are friendly with “Good morning” ECT.

We head for home. Were making good time. Drive past Miller park for Jane the ever Baseball fan. Then past the home of the white sox when the phone rings, Mr. Leary we have your bag in Milwaukee. Well that’s fine but were not there anymore! In to Indiana and massive wind and rain and traffic stops. We hear tales of a massive accident we can see the lights. Almost four hours latter were moving again but we tired no way well make Buffalo today not even Cleveland, so we stop just over the Ohio boarder. Fill up with free food and head out. We make it to Buffalo at 4pm is windy and cloudy, we drove up to the American side of Niagara Falls. But can’t find a place to park!! We drive around the block five times when a guy who looks home less on a bike rides up and tells us where to go. We get there he’s there! Kind of creepy but it turns out he owns the lot! Half price cause it looks like rain. It holds off until were almost back this time we’ve got the umbrellas. Then it’s a mad dash for the Mass boarder and at 11:45 we pulled in to Lee Ma. And the super 8.

Monday: Wake up breakfast at Joes in down town Lee. Joes is a small dinner that was the setting for Norman Rockwell’s painting of the Run-a-way. The boy with a bag sitting at the bar next to a cop. Then it’s a 3-hour ride to home drop off the dealer plate along the way, as we don’t need it with the trailer. Drop off the car at the garage and then home to drop off the luggage and up to Keene NH to drop off the U-Haul. Then a dash to Lexington MA to pick up Jane’s car at Mom and Dads.

So would the car have made it? Yes I think so but it would have required work to do it and with out tools it would not have been a pretty site. Was it worth the money? Depends on how you look at it. We’re safe, we had fun, and I got my parts.

trucke
trucke Dork
2/24/16 4:13 p.m.

Enjoy the new ride!

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/16 4:26 p.m.

Ahem...I'll just leave this here.

The Bus Thread.

Good luck with the purchase. I was happy with mine.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse HalfDork
2/24/16 4:49 p.m.
Stefan (Not Bruce) wrote: You bought a Prius. You're also a vegan Therefore you've reached "Granola" level in the PNW hierarchy. The next levels get more difficult, hemp clothing, beards, man buns and patchiouli among other things.

Living in Oregon I confirm this.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
2/24/16 5:17 p.m.

15,000$ sight unseen for a newer car.

BWAHHHHHHHHH, let me tell you some terrible stories.

Javelin
2/24/16 5:29 p.m.

Thanks everyone for reassuring me.

We nabbed it for $13,700 plus TT&T, and yes they are delivering it to our town for free (same dealership owner for our CHevrolet and Yakima's Toyota, apparently they do this all the time).

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
2/24/16 6:18 p.m.

Welcome to our world. Out of the last 10 cars I've bought, I'd say 7 or 8 were bought sight unseen. Never had an issue or major disappointment. As others have said, it's worked out great and been easier than in person purchases.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/24/16 6:23 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

What? You're buying a Prius sight-unseen, only 300 miles away and you're having it shipped?

Hand in your GRM card.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
2/24/16 6:46 p.m.
Ian F wrote: In reply to Javelin: What? You're buying a Prius sight-unseen, only 300 miles away and you're having it shipped? Hand in your GRM card.

Idk. A prius is a lock. The trio wouldnt even be fun. Now if it were say, an amx, he damn well better drive it back.

Javelin
2/24/16 6:49 p.m.
Ian F wrote: In reply to Javelin: What? You're buying a Prius sight-unseen, only 300 miles away and you're having it shipped? Hand in your GRM card.

The time is better spent going to the World of Speed Museum and working on my AMC Javelin.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/25/16 7:29 a.m.

There's too much to see in this country to miss out on a road trip. Some of my fondest memories are meeting up with one of my car guy buddies to go fetch a car. Nothing like hopping on the overnight Megabus with nothing but a license plate, screwdriver, and a wad of cash.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
01XL19ECxweITEdYMGFbBs5Og9soz2C0QEcZVGvhjRNvGsNJo9S5aXevXVT1A9Hq