chada75
chada75 Reader
6/28/20 3:15 p.m.

I've been blessed to received a 1998 Toyota Corolla on Tuesday. Currently has under 100k. Been Autocrossing a 2008 P71. Don't know what to do with the car but going to keep it since it's a gift for mom. What you all think?

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/28/20 3:28 p.m.

rallycross, in stock fwd. Closest for you would likely be Tar Heel sports car club a non scca affiliated group, they run rallycross

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/28/20 4:17 p.m.

1zz! Boring as all get out, pretty reliable. Super easy to work on, last of the nummi cars. Largely the same as the previous gen, my good friend the ae101. All of the ones I've owned have taken piles of abuse. Possible to swap the 2zz and the 6 speed out of a vibe GT or matrix whatever it was. Rallycross sounds like fun, but I'm not sure I'd do that if it was my only car. You'd be down in like.... Q-stock or whatever the dfl class is for autox. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/20 5:32 p.m.

Nitrous. The big jet.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/28/20 5:39 p.m.

I only see 2 options

1)  Sell it (it should be worth a reasonable amount with that mileage)

2) Just drive it

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/20 5:44 p.m.

Had one and loved it. Happy little car. Daughter hit a telephone poll with it. It was toast but she walked away with airbag burns.  A big thanks to the engineers at Toyota. 

Great little cars that are very well engineered. I miss it. 

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
6/28/20 6:52 p.m.

For 1998 these were offered with a 3 speed auto or 4 speed auto. The real stripper model with steel wheels and no full wheel hubcaps came with the 3 speed. 

Spotters guide: on the 4 speed the shifter stalk will have a button to turn off the overdrive (4th gear. ). The 3 speed will have a dummy cover in that spot of the shifter stalk where the button should be. 

The 3 speed is pretty darn buzzy on the Hyw. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
6/28/20 7:02 p.m.

Flog it like it owes you money every day.  Still get 30 mpg.

Dive bomb corners with abandonment.  Still be going the speed limit.

Neglect it for years.

It'll still start and run every day.  And never depreciate below $1500 because it's a Toyota.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/20 7:03 p.m.

Based on Challenge results from a few years ago you should remove the springs & replace them with more bumpstops. 

chandler
chandler PowerDork
6/28/20 7:03 p.m.

Keep auto-x the panther and drive the wheels off the corolla

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/28/20 7:39 p.m.

Daily the Rolla.  Only add what makes it more comfortable. 

Now you can turn the Vic into a less than reliable hot rod and not have to worry if it starts Monday morning going to work. 

gunner (Forum Supporter)
gunner (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/28/20 7:57 p.m.

I don't know if the early 1zz used oil like the later ones with vvti or not(like my 2001). I would recommend checking the oil weekly, as long as you don't run out beat the crap out of it. they love it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3fTX7QsFzX5J3mIoP0II8isFk5QDmrilGsjBFkShUhHgO7VKji5YqbuHGi6hXVVx