coll9947 New Reader
7/26/10 9:36 a.m.

...and see what y'all think...

Not mine, etc. etc.

Breathed on V8 Triumph TR-7

slefain
slefain Dork
7/26/10 9:45 a.m.

I think I'm glad it is FAR, far away from me.

Raze
Raze HalfDork
7/26/10 9:48 a.m.

Hrm, belt driven turbo + carb draw through setup + TR7. I'm no mathemetician but Fail + Fail + Fail = Imaginary Fail?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/26/10 9:51 a.m.

looks more like a supercharged TR8

Raze
Raze HalfDork
7/26/10 9:57 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: looks more like a supercharged TR8

That's what I was thinking, I've never seen a belt driven turbo like that...

pete240z
pete240z Dork
7/26/10 10:07 a.m.

Dealer selling car. "Victory Park and Sell".

No clue what they are selling. It is belt driven blower.

The dealer knows about cup holders and CD players.

mndsm
mndsm HalfDork
7/26/10 10:10 a.m.

Looks like fun to me.

Also- that is clearly an example of quantum fail-sics. Eventually, if you fail hard enough, it comes back around the other side to awesome. I believe this vehicle has.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
7/26/10 10:11 a.m.

Also known as a centrifugal type Supercharger.

Vortech is a popular brand - see the bottom right of this pic...

Less plumbing thatn a Turbo, easier packaging than a Roots or screw type. These are most at home on larger displacement engines. Smaller engines will suffer from the parasitic losses of a supercharger at lower RPMs. A V8 however is a great place for one.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
7/26/10 10:13 a.m.

Thats a really old B&M supercharger kit (procharger?) that was designed to be used on Corvettes with limited under hood clearance. Its a roots-type blower NOT a cetrifugal type. BTW thats a SBC not a Rover V8 in there.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Reader
7/26/10 10:36 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Smaller engines will suffer from the parasitic losses of a supercharger at lower RPMs. A V8 however is a great place for one.

with a Vortec yes... but try a Rotrex, you'll be surprised

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Reader
7/26/10 10:38 a.m.

That does appear to be a rootes type blower. But I bet that it has a turbo boost gauge inn the cockpit.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
7/26/10 11:28 a.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: with a Vortec yes... but try a Rotrex, you'll be surprised

I want to, but they don't have a kit for the 94-97s yet. How do you like it?

triumph5
triumph5 Reader
7/26/10 11:40 a.m.

Agreed, it was popular in the 90s: B&M forced induction supercharger drawing through dual weber carbs. Roots type blower. If it's been setup right, the throttle response should be REALLY fast. usually they were set up for 5-12 pounds of boost. Nice sound, too. Nice sleeper look to the car: no TR8 badges all over the car. If the shocks and springs have been upgraded (the OE were too soft), it should be a blast to drive. .

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous Reader
7/26/10 12:27 p.m.
1976 Triumph TR-7 V-8 Turbo WoW 5 spd trans 11 second car

Is 11 seconds how long it'll take to scatter the rear end all over the ground?

racerdave600
racerdave600 HalfDork
7/26/10 12:37 p.m.

I don't believe they made the TR-8 in '76, so it is a swapped TR-7. I think the few they brought in as test vehicles were all '78's, and they didn't really go on sale in numbers until 1980.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
7/26/10 12:47 p.m.
pilotbraden wrote: That does appear to be a rootes type blower. But I bet that it has a turbo boost gauge inn the cockpit.

Roots types are also known as screw type, and are positive displacement - the screw pushed the air into the engine. The Centrifugal types are like the fresh air side of a turbo, they spin the air at high speed against a curved wall which slings it into the engine due to its higher velocity from the centrifugal action of the curved surfaces. Here is a pretty good animation describing the 2 types.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Reader
7/26/10 2:29 p.m.

That looks like a old 142 blower kit, man those things are great and they can use standard carb's.

You can fit a really really big carb one of those things, I had a 1050cfm on the cobra with the 72.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
7/26/10 2:33 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Roots types are also known as screw type

Not really. Perhaps you're mistaking a screw type for a twisted lobe roots like an Eaton.

Vigo
Vigo HalfDork
7/26/10 3:58 p.m.

This much discussion and incorrect info over what is a roots, centrifugal, twin screw, or turbo seems.. like it shouldnt be necessary here??

To all who dont know it yet, take a few minutes, learn it, and you're done.

Raze
Raze HalfDork
7/26/10 3:59 p.m.

man picky picky on terminology, fine, a belt driven turbo is in fact a belt driven centrifugal supercharger vs a roots, or screw type, a turbo is exhaust driven with a turbine, now is everyone happy?

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 Reader
7/27/10 6:16 a.m.

That turbo looks more like a supercharger than any other belt driven turbo I have ever seen! LOL

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Reader
7/27/10 10:59 a.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote:
oldeskewltoy wrote: with a Vortec yes... but try a Rotrex, you'll be surprised
I want to, but they don't have a kit for the 94-97s yet. How do you like it?

Don't have one, but I've been following the Rotrex for about 4+ years now... the big advantage it has over a Vortec type is the Rotrex uses a planetary drive system, which mutiplies the forces quicker then a typical Vortec does

slantvaliant
slantvaliant HalfDork
7/27/10 3:43 p.m.
Raze wrote: man picky picky on terminology, fine, a belt driven turbo is in fact a belt driven centrifugal supercharger vs a roots, or screw type, a turbo is exhaust driven with a turbine, now is everyone happy?

If we were really picky, we'd call the exhaust driven rigs "turbosuperchargers".

Then we'd discuss intercoolers vs aftercoolers.

Raze
Raze HalfDork
7/27/10 3:47 p.m.
slantvaliant wrote:
Raze wrote: man picky picky on terminology, fine, a belt driven turbo is in fact a belt driven centrifugal supercharger vs a roots, or screw type, a turbo is exhaust driven with a turbine, now is everyone happy?
If we were really picky, we'd call the exhaust driven rigs "turbosuperchargers". Then we'd discuss intercoolers vs aftercoolers.

Yeah but what about turboboosters and expensive torques?

TJ
TJ SuperDork
7/27/10 3:54 p.m.

In reply to Raze:

That's what I was going to say....I think we can just call it a torquobooster and call it a day.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DM31JEOE9Sb44xgod8uzCWj2rDhBnZUH8qkoGCPuMGaQpWdbEcEc8sOHLGau3nMo