1 2 3
93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
5/2/12 8:41 a.m.

If you want a E36 M3box, you should go for a Yugo.

snap_understeer
snap_understeer New Reader
5/2/12 8:47 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: If you want a E36 M3box, you should go for a Yugo.

Did they sell Yugos in Canada? besides, the Echo ain't too bad. It's only down point is when you have 230HP, and you run out of aerodynamics

ArthurDent
ArthurDent Reader
5/2/12 9:38 a.m.

Canada got Ladas, Yugos, Skodas and Dacias!

The Dacia was by far the worst. I haven't seen one in a long, long time.

snap_understeer
5/2/12 10:07 a.m.
ArthurDent wrote: Canada got Ladas, Yugos, Skodas and Dacias! The Dacia was by far the worst. I haven't seen one in a long, long time.

But they all turned into oxidized iron! Let it snow!

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
5/2/12 11:41 a.m.

If it sounds like this or this, I would call it awesome!!

snap_understeer
5/2/12 12:45 p.m.
Strike_Zero wrote: If it sounds like this or this, I would call it awesome!!

I like both, but I really like this.

daytonaer
daytonaer Reader
5/2/12 12:59 p.m.

Are you buying a car for you, or to impress your internet friends?

I'm one of the few that love the echo. We had one in the family for a few years. I miss it and want another.

The yaris is slightly more "upscale" and weighs more. We had a 01 echo with a/c, auto and CD player which weighed 2015 lbs. I borrowed it for a trip and got two real world tanks of 42mpg back to back, with the ac cranked in the summer and the cruise set at 75mph (audiovox unit I put in lol) It was consistently high 30's low 40's.

It is an economy car and pretends to be nothing more. It is unstable at speeds over 80, there is no center arm-rest (but available aftermarket) they were one of the cheapest price new cars at one point, so were treated as such. The geeky styling allows 4 adults to sit in one with headroom. The trunk is usable. Ours did not have abs, power locks or power windows. I enjoyed that. The only maintenance was regular fluid changes and brakes at about 100k miles. Tires however never lasted long.

In many respects, it reminds me of the original beetle.

Here is ours with +1 wheels from a toyota corolla... It appears to be serving as a obstacle in a sled course, I have no glamor shots of it as it was an appliance, but a great appliance.

snap_understeer
5/2/12 1:03 p.m.
daytonaer wrote: Are you buying a car for you, or to impress your internet friends? I'm one of the few that love the echo. We had one in the family for a few years. I miss it and want another. The yaris is slightly more "upscale" and weighs more. We had a 01 echo with a/c, auto and CD player which weighed 2015 lbs. I borrowed it for a trip and got two real world tanks of 42mpg back to back, with the ac cranked in the summer and the cruise set at 75mph (audiovox unit I put in lol) It was consistently high 30's low 40's. It is an economy car and pretends to be nothing more. It is unstable at speeds over 80, there is no center arm-rest (but available aftermarket) they were one of the cheapest price new cars at one point, so were treated as such. The geeky styling allows 4 adults to sit in one with headroom. The trunk is usable. Ours did not have abs, power locks or power windows. I enjoyed that. The only maintenance was regular fluid changes and brakes at about 100k miles. Tires however never lasted long. In many respects, it reminds me of the original beetle. Here is ours with +1 wheels from a toyota corolla... It appears to be serving as a obstacle in a sled course, I have no glamor shots of it as it was an appliance, but a great appliance.

Well put. I am seriously buying one of these. Good fuel economy, good to drive, cheap to own. It ticks all the boxes, plus my first car was an autotragic Echo I got through 'The Dead Relative Vehicular Inheritance Program'

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
5/2/12 2:15 p.m.

We have a guy here (DoD) who is hopping up a Daewoo. Anything is possible. Do what you want.

terabyte
terabyte New Reader
5/4/12 5:23 p.m.

My girlfriend has one and has had it for 6 years its been trouble free. She is 23 now so imagine the neglect. Good little car and we have gone from FL to NC twice this year no problem, 38mpg doing 80ish the entire way.

snap_understeer
snap_understeer Reader
5/8/12 8:36 a.m.

It's official, I've purchased an ECHO

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/8/12 8:52 a.m.
snap_understeer wrote: It's official, I've purchased an ECHO

Congratulations? I can't help but feeling like you just announced to the internet that you contracted syphilis.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
5/8/12 8:53 a.m.

What about the Mazda3?

failboat
failboat Dork
5/8/12 8:54 a.m.

let teh fun begin

snap_understeer
snap_understeer Reader
5/8/12 10:38 a.m.
dculberson wrote: What about the Mazda3?

The Mazda 3 had a rather large amount of rust on the subframes, and the rear suspension was disintegrating before my very eyes. There's no way it has 127,985 KM on the clock. Pics of the Echo coming soon!

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
5/8/12 10:49 a.m.

I didn't exist.

Yavuz
Yavuz Reader
5/8/12 10:57 a.m.

From time to time I think about getting an echo, gutting it, lowering it, doing some aero tweaks, and trying to get 50mpg out of the thing.

snap_understeer
snap_understeer Reader
5/8/12 11:08 a.m.
Yavuz wrote: From time to time I think about getting an echo, gutting it, lowering it, doing some aero tweaks, and trying to get 50mpg out of the thing.

The best thing you could do for fuel economy on an echo is use premium gas, and change the plugs every 6-8 months. The one I got was at the gates to the Junkyard, and all that was wrong was the plugs were fried to a crisp . A run to Canadian Tire, and $400 plus tax and towing later, I got the car home. It had little underbody rust and a clean title, So I was shocked at why it was there in the first place. But I'm just leaning towards the OEM+ look, but with Civic Si rims. I'm going to raid the junkyard tonight for some rims, clear headlight lenses, a trim cap for the towing hook, and some aftermarket audio stuff. Maybe another car will follow me home. The sienna is owned by the Landlord. They're replacing it with a new Orlando, or a previous gen Quest. Right now, I'm scouring the area for a K-car.

e_pie
e_pie Reader
5/8/12 11:16 a.m.
ArthurDent wrote: Could you import a Echo hatchback from Canada yet? I've always liked the look of these much better than the sedan. Toyota Echo hatchback

That's actually a pretty decent looking little hatch.

snap_understeer
snap_understeer Reader
5/8/12 11:42 a.m.
e_pie wrote:
ArthurDent wrote: Could you import a Echo hatchback from Canada yet? I've always liked the look of these much better than the sedan. Toyota Echo hatchback
That's actually a pretty decent looking little hatch.

And there's this:

Not my cup of Joe, but it might float your boat.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/8/12 11:48 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
It didn't exist.

Shocking!

snap_understeer
snap_understeer Reader
5/8/12 12:02 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
It didn't exist.
Shocking!

It existed, but then the right car just fell into my lap. 2nd time round with an Echo, and I'll make the most out of it this time!

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
5/8/12 6:43 p.m.

This is a happy thread

I had a mazda3. I liked it, but id rather have an Echo right now if the price difference was rational.

I also second your k-car ambitions. Obviously..

Pics of echo?

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture HalfDork
5/9/12 4:14 a.m.

"The Echo's faster to 60"

Maybe the old SPI car... Zetec and up not even close.

snap_understeer
snap_understeer Reader
5/9/12 10:01 a.m.
Vigo wrote: This is a happy thread I had a mazda3. I liked it, but id rather have an Echo right now if the price difference was rational. I also second your k-car ambitions. Obviously.. Pics of echo?

Pics of the ECHO will be up as soon as I can find my camera, Junkyard tripping tonight rather than last night do to the dog having diarrhea. The first K-car I find at a good price, I'm buying- But without the engine. I want to put in a 2.2 Turbo II and a 5-speed manual. If i have enough cashflow from the new job, I might upgrade it to Neon SRT-4 mechanicals.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K5X1kYnZuZYwtjSl2SAMuO04YyT3AuPu4MtIUAQhIwnm2SiFff5mzSeAl1BCuQnv