1 2
nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
5/14/13 7:13 p.m.

Honda Ridgeline

297,477 miles

Codes; P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306 and P0172

Basically a system too rich and random misfire and misfire on each individual cylinder correct?

Company vehicle which means that while it has received regular oil changes it's very likely that it's still on factory plugs. Any thoughts?

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/14/13 7:20 p.m.

300k on original plugs? Wooo, this may be one of the highest mileage Ridgelines out there. What about the timing belt?

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
5/14/13 7:24 p.m.

SHOOT IT!!!!

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
5/14/13 7:33 p.m.

I have no idea about any previous maintenance, I've been with the company two years and I only know of a couple oil changes. The way things operate around here it only goes in when it breaks, except for oil changes. I don't know if I can even convince them to take it in for a tune up with the mileage. I think they are content to run it till it refuses to go anymore then send it to auction.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/14/13 7:52 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote: Honda Ridgeline 297,477 miles Codes; P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306 and P0172 Basically a system too rich and random misfire and misfire on each individual cylinder correct? Company vehicle which means that while it has received regular oil changes it's very likely that it's still on factory plugs. Any thoughts?

I did an engine in a VUE (same 3.5 lump) because the front passenger-side plug basically self destructed. Removing the coil took the top half of the spark plug with it, and the head was so corroded around the rusted out spark plug that there wasn't even enough left to put in an insert. ~140k on factory plugs.

I'm a little shocked that Honda would run a fuel trim monitor on anything that had stored misfire codes. On the other hand, the only time I have EVER seen rich codes set was when one bank went off-time.

Can you access misfire history? (Mode 6 is freakin' awesome for that, I don't know why people hate it so much)

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
5/14/13 8:02 p.m.

Adjust the valves. The intakes, I think...exhausts maybe, tighten up over time.

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
5/14/13 8:44 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: Adjust the valves. The intakes, I think...exhausts maybe, tighten up over time.

After some research I think you may have nailed the original problem. Now my question is how long can these engines go with the exhaust valves out of adjustment. The cel light has been on for two years.

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
5/15/13 5:27 a.m.

I am impressed though with the exception of a little rough idling while cold there really isn't any drive ability issues. And the thing is as rattle and squeak free as I imagine it was when new.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel HalfDork
5/15/13 5:41 a.m.

And, after all, which kinds of problems would you rather track down: an engine issue with a computerized guidebook, or a rattle or squeak that drives you crazy but only happens sometimes? At 300,000 miles, that's a heck of a Honda ad you've got there.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
5/15/13 7:41 a.m.
nicksta43 wrote:
Streetwiseguy wrote: Adjust the valves. The intakes, I think...exhausts maybe, tighten up over time.
After some research I think you may have nailed the original problem. Now my question is how long can these engines go with the exhaust valves out of adjustment. The cel light has been on for two years.

I've seen them with less than no clearance straighten up quite nicely. I'm sure its not good for the valves, but there is no loss in trying.

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
5/16/13 9:49 p.m.
crankwalk wrote: 300k on original plugs? Wooo, this may be one of the highest mileage Ridgelines out there. What about the timing belt?

Well I got a hold of the service records for this thing. I have everything back to '07 when they leased it. Unfortunately it's not a big list aside from a stack of oil change receipts.

BTW it is an '06

It went in back in '07 with 85,500 miles for a new converter, they serviced the transmission, cooling system and brake fluid.

It went in back in '09 with 171,200 miles. They recommended; Timing belt, right front axle boot torn, needs axle, front motor mount broken, side motor mount broken, front brakes, and 60k service. The invoice is for $0.00 and I have no record of this work being done.

It went in back in '11 with 246,110 miles. They replaced the blower motor under recall, replaced cabin air filter and re-banded the left inner c.v. boot. They also pulled the same codes I'm pulling now plus one for the bank 2 catalyst and a fuel cap. VTM4 light is on It says "recommend further diagnostic". I have no record of any further diagnostic being done. Again it says recommend service timing belt but $0.00 on the invoice.

So I am currently under the assumption that this thing has gone nearly 300k on the original timing belt, plugs and who knows what else. I was going to check the valve lash just for the hell of it but if the timing belt has ever been changed...

It's kind of a spare vehicle in the fleet, we really don't have a use for it so I don't know if I can convince them to take it in to get the work done. I really want to see how many more miles this thing can go though. I always did like rooting for the underdog.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/16/13 10:51 p.m.

I think the torque converter needs to go into a museum, since the MTBF on it is around 60,000mi.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/17/13 12:36 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

MTBF is one of the few things i remember from my reliability engineering course a long long time ago. thanks for the flashback!

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
5/17/13 1:19 p.m.
Knurled wrote: I think the torque converter needs to go into a museum, since the MTBF on it is around 60,000mi.

I was thinking the same thing. The EGR has likely been clogged for hte last 190k miles as well.

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
6/29/13 10:57 p.m.

As an update to this I talked the boss into letting me take it into the shop.

Came back with a whole list of things that needed done including timing belt and trans service. Plus a list of other things. Only work authorized was an oil change.

Turned 299,000 today. I'm cheering for it to reach 300k. However it's running rougher and rougher.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
6/29/13 11:05 p.m.

It'd be kinder to shoot it.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf SuperDork
6/30/13 6:27 a.m.

http://www.chootem.com/Shop.html

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/1/13 8:47 a.m.
nicksta43 wrote: As an update to this I talked the boss into letting me take it into the shop. Came back with a whole list of things that needed done including timing belt and trans service. Plus a list of other things. Only work authorized was an oil change. Turned 299,000 today. I'm cheering for it to reach 300k. However it's running rougher and rougher.

So the boss doesn't want to do any work to it at all?

old_
old_ Reader
7/1/13 8:53 a.m.

If the boss won't do any of the other work then why even bother with the oil change?

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/1/13 11:37 a.m.
old_ wrote: If the boss won't do any of the other work then why even bother with the oil change?

Exactly.

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
8/29/13 9:59 p.m.

Update on this.

They hauled it of to be auctioned last week. It had 306k on it when it left. It was bucking pretty hard at start up and it died a couple times when cold, but always restarted.

I have to tip my hat to Honda for building a hell of a vehicle.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/30/13 12:13 a.m.

So it went 170K on a set of front brakes and over 300K on a set of rears? That's... a lot.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/30/13 7:13 a.m.
codrus wrote: So it went 170K on a set of front brakes and over 300K on a set of rears? That's... a lot.

Not really so much anymore, if it's in an environment where the pads won't flake apart from moisture or the slide pins won't sieze. It's on the high side of what can be expected but it's certainly not unprecedented.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
8/30/13 8:27 a.m.
nicksta43 wrote: Update on this. They hauled it of to be auctioned last week. It had 306k on it when it left. It was bucking pretty hard at start up and it died a couple times when cold, but always restarted. I have to tip my hat to Honda for building a hell of a vehicle.

your boss is a dick

GVX19
GVX19 Reader
8/30/13 9:03 a.m.

Sounds like you need a timing belt.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rZ8zAojAfAFwK0byxUMc5elvDGDgnnUWjYwQMJGUBMkv2TQ9Xj94YlspeA6lsISq