The posts in this thread

Should be in haiku format

I fixed it for you smiley

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
9/16/17 8:50 a.m.
dean1484 said:

Some statistics for you. 

Of the 432 million smartphones sold in the last quarter, 352 million ran Android (81.7 percent) and 77 million ran iOS (17.9 percent)

from here

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2017/2/16/14634656/android-ios-market-share-blackberry-2016

On the other hand, in North America where GRM is mostly based, IOS and Android are more or less split 50/50:

http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/mobile/north-america

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/17 10:23 a.m.

I guess I stand corrected.  The only reason I thaught otherwise was due to a news story I heard on the way to the office last week. Assuming that is so then Tom is correct. In there trying to make it work on iPhones. Hell I use an iPhone and I just got an apple tablet. But I also use android and chrome on my pc. And I even have and still use an old windows phone around the house for web surfing and email. I have not noticed any real difference on any of them. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/16/17 1:19 p.m.
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent said:

I'm old, I can't see dick when it's right under my nose.

How often do you

have dick right under your nose?  

Hennessy Honda?

Two_Tools_In_a_Tent
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent Reader
9/16/17 3:35 p.m.

More often than you might think. At my age, everyone that I come across is either a Bro, a Ho, or a Dick Head. Never come across an entire generation like this current one who knew so little and thought that they knew so very much, and I've wandered through three or four generations already. What the Hell ever happened to Gen X? Seems to have come and gone without leaving a mark.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
9/17/17 9:45 p.m.

I haven't been on this site in awhile. I don't like it. I think people like to change things to justify their existence sometimes. There was nothing wrong with the old site. Change for the sake of change....

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/18/17 10:30 a.m.
drainoil said:

Wow checking in here 10-15 times a day?  That's some serious something there. I wish I had that much free time each day.  

If the new format makes posting pics (especially from a phone) and pasting clickable links easier, which it looks like it has, I'm all for it.

It's not that I had that much "free time".  It's that the old site was very efficient and convenient. I could kill 2 minutes while pumping gas or waiting for a large PDF file to save on my work computer or waiting in a drive-thru line or a line at the bank etc.  GRM is where I'd go to kill those useless minutes. Now the site is not as convenient to use in those situations. 

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
9/18/17 11:28 a.m.

I'm on here 10-15 different time before lunch most days. Never for long but constantly checking. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/17 12:52 p.m.

I'm by here at least 3-4 times every morning, and if I'm at my desk, it's open pretty much continuously. That's not going to change because of a update.

I'm pretty indifferent to the interface. The people are the same no matter what the font looks like, or how much white space there is. 

bigben
bigben Reader
9/18/17 5:48 p.m.

I may be weird, but there are few mobile sites that I like. (I hate the tap a talk based sites.) If available I always opt for the desktop version of a site. It's just easier to view and keep track of where I'm at on the page. GRM used to be one of the mobile sites that was on par with desktop sites, but not anymore. 

pjbgravely
pjbgravely Reader
9/21/17 10:47 a.m.

Thanks for your post. I had all but given up on GRM except to look for information. Because of this post I decided to do something. I thought of putting GRM in it's own browser and screen that was turned way down. That seemed like too much work to for one site.

I found a dark background extension for Firefox that works. Dark Background and Light Text.

Here is the site:

The page:

The Extension isn't perfect. It enables all tabs and you have to blacklist the tabs you don't want dark.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
9/21/17 11:30 a.m.

Here is the part where I say vBulletin and Margie remembers why she hates me. 

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
9/21/17 11:57 a.m.

Lol. I told Ed this morning to look up all the freaked-out posts from when we did the LAST forum redesign, then screamed "vBulletin!" 

Margie

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
9/25/17 8:45 a.m.
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent said:

More often than you might think. At my age, everyone that I come across is either a Bro, a Ho, or a Dick Head. Never come across an entire generation like this current one who knew so little and thought that they knew so very much, and I've wandered through three or four generations already. What the Hell ever happened to Gen X? Seems to have come and gone without leaving a mark.

I'm not sure.  I used to think I was born during the Gen-X period, but now I'm not so sure.  1977 was a weird year.  For a lot of reasons.  But I will agree with the rest of your statement.  My wife and I have a hard time finding friends we really connect with.  The WWII generation is all but vanished, the Baby Boomers (i.e. my parents' generation) "got theirs" and are all off on cruises somewhere...the Millenials are all busy being offended by something or by assuming their opinion _actually, really matters_...meanwhile us 70's and 80's babies are plodding along silently at the 9 to 5, stoking the fires of capitalism, and trying to raise kids who don't think the world revolves around them or owes them something.  

/rantoff

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/25/17 11:51 a.m.

VCH, you're a"xennial". Welcome, I think?

volvoclearinghouse
9/25/17 12:10 p.m.
bluej said:

I just turned 40 this year.  Get off my lawn, ya punk kid.  

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/25/17 12:15 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:
bluej said:

You're almost the same age as my wife, and I'm just a bit younger. I was going to call you a grouchy old man, but realized you might have thought I was referring to the film...

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
9/25/17 12:26 p.m.
Toyman01 said:

I'm by here at least 3-4 times every morning, and if I'm at my desk, it's open pretty much continuously. That's not going to change because of a update.

I'm pretty indifferent to the interface. The people are the same no matter what the font looks like, or how much white space there is. 

Same here.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
9/25/17 12:27 p.m.
Donebrokeit said:

I think we need to bring bac the GGA thread

wink

Did someone say GGA?

volvoclearinghouse
9/25/17 12:37 p.m.
bluej said:
volvoclearinghouse said:
bluej said:

You're almost the same age as my wife, and I'm just a bit younger. I was going to call you a grouchy old man, but realized you might have thought I was referring to the film...

My wife's almost 9 years younger than I am, but we share a similar outlook on....society.  I sometimes refer to her as my 80-year-old wife in a 30-year-old's body.  Which, if you think about it, is better than the reverse.  

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
9/25/17 1:40 p.m.

I kinda remember when I was 40.  

pjbgravely
pjbgravely Reader
9/26/17 10:37 a.m.

I just discovered that the right click menu doesn't work in the new reply text box. In order to spell check I have to use middle click copy paste to a word processer, then manually delete and middle click paste back in. I guess I will be posting a lot less which will make some of you happy.

Sorry, not spell checked, I didn't have the time.

1 ... 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Tch0pq0y4U97HGwnDXCygcpqZ3OjrPb1BBpjEdpyoqlB7go64zWCvioM6EWeJtSU