1 2 3 4
mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
1/13/14 10:32 a.m.
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: Too many cool choices, but one of these would be nice.

I don't know what that is, or that I needed one, until right now.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/13/14 10:46 a.m.

In reply to mndsm:

Alfa SZ. The wheels are amazing.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/13/14 10:53 a.m.

GTIr

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
1/13/14 10:56 a.m.

In reply to captdownshift:

To be honest, that is the car I first thought of when I was posting this thread.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/14 11:03 a.m.
TxCoyote wrote: I'd go with this!

Alpines are much smaller than they appear to be in photos.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/13/14 11:28 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

do it, make me that jealous. AWD hatch with turbo and itbs out of the box, great ecu support and turbine wheel upgrades galore.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/13/14 12:30 p.m.
SnowMongoose wrote: Two more years and you can out miata a miata with a Suzuki Cappuccino This suggestion brought to you by someone who barely fits into a miata but is curious if there would be any way of squeezing into one of these.

I'd second that emotion, too. I haven't driven one but have seen them in real life. To be honest, the Cappuccino interests me more than the Beat--and I like Hondas.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
1/13/14 1:30 p.m.

http://forums.jdmvip.com/For_Sale_1994_Audi_S4_Avant_Quattro_42L_V8_amp_6spd_LHD_IN_CANADA_NOW_Sponsors_Brave_Auto_Japan_Intl_Brave_Auto_Stock-5927-t

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt128/Brave_Auto_International/Brave%20Auto%20International%20Stock%20Vehicles/AUDI%20S4%20-%207119/S4-1_zpsc4fc8799.jpg

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
1/13/14 3:07 p.m.
Woody wrote:
TxCoyote wrote: I'd go with this!
Alpines are *much* smaller than they appear to be in photos.

that's fantastic news, now I want one more

PHeller
PHeller UberDork
1/13/14 3:29 p.m.

Not sure if old enough yet...

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/13/14 4:29 p.m.

Ford Falcon.

airwerks
airwerks New Reader
1/13/14 4:34 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
SnowMongoose wrote: Two more years and you can out miata a miata with a Suzuki Cappuccino This suggestion brought to you by someone who barely fits into a miata but is curious if there would be any way of squeezing into one of these.
I'd second that emotion, too. I haven't driven one but have seen them in real life. To be honest, the Cappuccino interests me more than the Beat--and I like Hondas.

I'll third that emotion. I've wanted one of these for a while to swap a turbocharged G13B in.... there was an awesome thread on redlinegti or teamswift a couple years ago I read about.....

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
1/13/14 4:35 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: Too many cool choices, but one of these would be nice.
I don't know what that is, or that I needed one, until right now.

Looks like they have prices to match their looks, 30,000 GBP or close to $50,000 for the first one I found searching Google. Harumph.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
1/13/14 4:49 p.m.

Thread title suggests what (I just learned) is called a Volkwagen Type 181.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/13/14 6:54 p.m.

Nobody has suggested an Autozam AZ-1 yet.

Mid-engine, rear wheel drive and gullwing doors. You will just have to wait a few more years.

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
1/13/14 7:59 p.m.

Bongo anyone?

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
1/13/14 8:00 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Nobody has suggested an Autozam AZ-1 yet. Mid-engine, rear wheel drive and gullwing doors. You will just have to wait a few more years.

That's on my list, but alas, we have to wait...

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/13/14 9:34 p.m.
carbon wrote: And I can't believe evos and scoobydoos havent been mentioned yet

Because they aren't legal yet.

But maybe I'll have enough money for an Evo IV when they are.

carbon
carbon HalfDork
1/13/14 9:36 p.m.

start saving now!

Burrito Enthusiast
Burrito Enthusiast Reader
1/13/14 10:32 p.m.

It's like I don't even know you guys sometimes.

kanaric
kanaric HalfDork
1/14/14 3:39 a.m.

Already on this. Here is my $10k or less list, aside from 2 exceptions. Also doing 89 since it's going to take a while to find a car to import from Japan anyways. You should not be importing a car from anywhere else because E36 M3 there is 1/2 - 2/3 the price as anywhere else and cars have like 1/2 the miles. Also any car can be found there.

Burrito Enthusiast wrote: It's like I don't even know you guys sometimes.

Starting with this so I don't have to post a pic myself.

R32 GTR or GTS-T Type M.

Either car is good, GTS-T Type M is RWD, 2800lbs, far cheaper to maintain. If you don't like the S13 this is a alternative that probably is far better anyways. GTS-T shares parts with Z32 and 240sx.

Feel like I must post Mitsubishi. Those two are 4g63T cars, you can get a 4G63T starion but you don't get the awesome widebody. Lancer 2000 EX and Galant Lambda Turbo (refresh).

BPT AWD rally homologation. Shares parts with USDM cars but has exclusive parts and support still so should be easy.

Can be found in impossibly clean shape that doesn't exist in the US. Has an intercooled FJ20ET, a motorsports engine, in early years that is EXCELLENT and from the Skyline RS. Everything else is from Z31 and this car and are common.

Candidate in the "which skyline is best" debate. Don't know how parts are on these, never researched it.

Another familiar US car, except like above with a more interesting engine. This one being a 12A turbo. Typical awesome Mazda parts support.

8v or 16v integrale. GL with parts but if you do it can be had for in Japan at less than $8k in pristine condition. Like mini almost-kei cars? 1000cc supercharged and turbo. Only FWD car I will post here because it looks weird and is completely different than anything available here. March/Micra Superturbo

Might be the biggest mistake ever if you buy one of these but it would be worth it. Do parts exist for this car?

This looks like the exact year of the car you would get. CA18DET is good. Starts in 1988 for manufacture dates so lots are available. Go with a 180SX too if you want. Ultra-supported platform.

AE86. If your going to import it try to get a Levin so you have unique JDM kewlneess but it really doesn't matter.

TA63 Celica with 3T-GTE. Probably not pictured.

Isuzu 117, awesome Giugiaro design.

Fairlady 200ZR. Lightweight Z31 with the RB20DET engine + intercooled.

If you want a weird looking 80s turbo rotary heres that covered.

If you have over $10, like around $15k or so if you don't go with this or R32 GTR you are making a mistake. Everything else above can be found for less than $10.

Anything else, any of the FWD cars don't compare to any of these. I would not get a 205GTI over any of these cars or any VW GTI. It would be like a waste of an import. If I like euro cars why woudn't I get the Sierra, M5, or Delta? If I like everything why would I get a GTI over a Mazda Familia GTR? It's a rally homologation special hot hatch.

I thought this was supposed to be 1980-1988? People are posting 90s cars like the Pulsar GTIR.

I would like to post a Toyota Celica XX but the turbo version is auto only.... everything else worthwhile as well is available in the US (ie. Galant VR-4, Celica GT-Four)

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/14/14 7:50 a.m.

Defender 110 or 90. Aussie Ford Falcon. R31 Skyline.

kanaric
kanaric HalfDork
1/14/14 11:25 a.m.

86 Sprinter Trueno GT Apex on the JDM auction site i use right now with 74,000 KM

http://auction.pacificcoastjdm.com/auctions/?p=project/lot&id=262068134&s

uname: guest pw: pacificcoast

That would be a fairly awesome car to have.

If you wanted it thought you would have to talk to the guy who runs that site today because it hits auction tomorrow.

I'm fairly certain it would be impossible to find one of these with that low miles in the US. Every time I see a car like this I get sad because some drifter is going to buy it and wreck it.

R31 Skyline.

What's your opinion on R31 GTS-(t/x/r) vs R30 RS/RS-X or R32 GTS-T?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/14 11:53 a.m.

AudiMike
AudiMike Reader
1/14/14 12:51 p.m.

If I could import from anyewhere and get anything.

I would add a TVR to my list Rover Vitesse (Touring car version of course) Audi Coupe GT Quattro (no flares great sleeper)

Mike Kirby

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
U7Qec4GkBztbaQh1AMf1uFLY15oJ6Ogq920jB24kScwc1PAIPJGBGgTb2yzaFKg4