1 2 3
Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero HalfDork
12/22/10 7:37 a.m.

Mrs. Zero found something wrong with every car I purchased (except the M3 and the GTO); until she drove it.

The Dakota was a gas hog (I can get about 24 mixed; she gets 18 mixed-same as she got in the GTO). Then I fixed the A/C and she took it out to the country for work and hooned about on the back roads. Since then, it was a great purchase to haul . . . stuff.

The 318is (Ladybug) was SUPPOSED to be a parts car for the race car, but since I fixed it I drove it for a while. It didn't have enough HP for her and was pink instead of red. But she confiscated it since she can go 420 miles between fill ups.

The 530i is SUPPOSED to be MY car. It has too many dents, its too loud, and you guessed it, it's a gas hog. Now winter time and she confiscates it because it is comfortable and has seat heaters. Her excuse was "Since you have to do the all the gaskets for the Ladybug, I'll drive your car." Strange, the Ladybug needed gasket work done since we bought it . . .

Her new lust now is a S52 for the Ladybug . . . you know, since it has leaks . . .

Previously she wanted to get a newer "used" car. I told her it's her choice, but when it breaks, she pays to have it fixed. The threat to her "fun money" was too great apparently

davidjs
davidjs Reader
12/22/10 7:37 a.m.
Javelin wrote: I can't believe I'm saying this, but I am sick of shopping for cars. It is *impossible* to please her! It has to be 2002 or newer for LATCH, has to be a 5-door wagon, has to have under 100K miles, has to be a clean title (good bye every WRX/Impreza/SVT ever made), and has to be under $8,000. Oh, and it has to have cloth, and not be red. I have found exactly ONE car that meats all that (and my teeny-tiny little mandate of it's a stick shift), and that's a PT effing crapper! She talked up new cars, I made a killer deal on an 11 MS3 (21K out the door!!!) and now she's back on used for $8K!!! I swear I'm going to have the Javelin fully restored before we ever replace the P71. This is freaking ridiculous.

Not sure if it counts as a wagon for her, and if the Mazda 5 and 6 were both rejected, good luck, but a Protege5?

I think the problem is that by knocking out Subaru (for local pricing), VW/AUDI (I don't blame you), Chevy (meh), and her apparently disliking Mazda (??), that's about it for companies that made manual tranny wagons.

You need to change search criteria (or let her pick her car, gently say I told you so when you sell it for a loss in 2 years to buy the minivan you had recommended in the first place, and weigh the cost of flipping a car vs marital harmony)

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/22/10 8:05 a.m.

It's NOT her car though! It's supposed to be MY daily driver! (Which if I had it my way would be a crusty old Jeep Grand Wagoneer). The problem is she wants it to have all these requirements, and then I am the one blamed for rejecting all the crap that is that cheap.

Mazda is my #1 choice, I'd be A-OK with a Protege5, Mazda5, Mazda6 Wagon, or Mazda3 (but I really hate buying a 3 and not having the MS3). They are all over $10K or have over 100K miles or are automatics with leather. I'd also be OK with Subaru's (WRX, Impreza 2.5TS, Legacy Wagon, maybe even an Outback) but they are really ridiculously priced out here. I'd do the fly-and-drive but I'd have to fly both of us and that just isn't going to work.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
12/22/10 8:13 a.m.

I guess the links do not work... For your area cars.com returns the following using the advance search features:
Focus ZX5

Mitsu Outlander

Versa:

At $8.9k a 99k mile Fit

$8.9k asking price on a Scion xA

$9.9k asking Golf 4 door. Scion xB, or Vue

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
12/22/10 8:18 a.m.
4eyes wrote: Fly-N-Drive

This.

Wasn't there an article in the mag about the right way to do this? If there wasn't, there should be.

Javelin
12/22/10 8:29 a.m.
jrw1621 wrote: I guess the links do not work... For your area cars.com returns the following using the advance search features: Focus ZX5 Mitsu Outlander Versa: At $8.9k a 99k mile Fit $8.9k asking price on a Scion xA $9.9k asking Golf 4 door. Scion xB, or Vue

Focus could be worth a look-see, Outhouse is an SUV (which is a big fat no), Versa is too small for 2 car seats as is the xA and Fit. VW's are out, the Vue is an SUV. That leaves the shoebox and the Focus.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
12/22/10 8:36 a.m.

Rio 5
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=289513350&dealer_id=65829821&car_year=2008&doors=&systime=&search_lang=en&start_year=2002&body_style=HATCH&body_style=SUV&body_style=VANS&body_style=WAGON&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=75&min_price=44&drive=&rdm=1293027809135&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&fuel=&keywords_display=&sownerid=619191&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2012&showZipError=n&certified=&engine=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=212&transmission=Manual&default_sort=newsortbyprice_DESC&max_mileage=100000&address=98626&color=&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=10000&awsp=false&make=&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=58&standard=false

ZX5
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=291158105&dealer_id=1149141&car_year=2004&pager.offset=25&search_lang=en&start_year=2002&body_style=HATCH&body_style=SUV&body_style=VANS&body_style=WAGON&search_type=both&distance=75&min_price=44&rdm=1293027809135&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&sownerid=619191&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2012&showZipError=n&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=212&transmission=Manual&first_record=26&default_sort=newsortbyprice_DESC&max_mileage=100000&address=98626&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=10000&awsp=false&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=46&standard=false

Vibe GT - Red?
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=290281856&dealer_id=10594067&car_year=2004&pager.offset=75&search_lang=en&start_year=2002&body_style=HATCH&body_style=SUV&body_style=VANS&body_style=WAGON&search_type=both&distance=75&min_price=44&rdm=1293027809135&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&sownerid=619191&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2012&showZipError=n&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=212&first_record=76&transmission=Manual&default_sort=newsortbyprice_DESC&max_mileage=100000&address=98626&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=10000&awsp=false&num_records=25&seller_type=b&cardist=47&standard=false

Silver Matrix
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=291226098&dealer_id=619232&car_year=2005&pager.offset=75&search_lang=en&start_year=2002&body_style=HATCH&body_style=SUV&body_style=VANS&body_style=WAGON&search_type=both&distance=75&min_price=44&rdm=1293027809135&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&sownerid=619191&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2012&showZipError=n&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=212&transmission=Manual&first_record=76&default_sort=newsortbyprice_DESC&max_mileage=100000&address=98626&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=10000&awsp=false&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=51&standard=false

Grey Vibe
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=291623980&dealer_id=10594067&car_year=2006&pager.offset=75&search_lang=en&start_year=2002&body_style=HATCH&body_style=SUV&body_style=VANS&body_style=WAGON&search_type=both&distance=75&min_price=44&rdm=1293027809135&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&sownerid=619191&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2012&showZipError=n&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=212&transmission=Manual&first_record=76&default_sort=newsortbyprice_DESC&max_mileage=100000&address=98626&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=10000&awsp=false&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=47&standard=false

STS_ZX2
STS_ZX2 Reader
12/22/10 8:37 a.m.

The Versa has a huge back seat--legroom wise. It should fit 2 car seats width-wise as well.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
12/22/10 8:38 a.m.

I hear ya... Although I don't really regret the purchase, I bought my TDI because of SWMBO and left to my own devices, I probably would have bought a RSX-S. My truck was absolutely bought to appease her... I would have been happy with my existing van (that she hated) or a newer van, and for 4x4 trucks, I wanted an older box-styled Dodge or a late 70's Ford - something with a proper geared transfer case and manual effin' hubs...

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
12/22/10 8:39 a.m.

My wife drives a Versa. Yes it is dull but the back seat has freakish amounts of rear legroom. We have not tried it with kid seats. Maybe your concern is that the car is not wide enough but I assure you there is enough legroom. More than my Volvo 850 or Ford Escape.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox HalfDork
12/22/10 8:58 a.m.

I'll give you improbable but not impossible.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
12/22/10 8:59 a.m.

Are the Matrix / Vibe twins not an option? They are available with a manual, and would seem to fit your needs without being total penalty boxes to drive.

+1 to fly in-- drive home. Why two plane tickets? Two of you are not needed to drive your new car home. My brother has done this several times when buying a car and saved lotsa $$$$.

Ranger50
Ranger50 HalfDork
12/22/10 8:59 a.m.
Javelin wrote: It's NOT her car though! It's supposed to be MY daily driver! (Which if I had it my way would be a crusty old Jeep Grand Wagoneer). The problem is she wants it to have all these requirements, and then I am the one blamed for rejecting all the crap that is that cheap.

The deal with my wife is IF it is for me, she can have an opinion, but that is all she gets. Whatever I buy, is what I want/can find, not want she wants.

I showed up one time with a 89-ish Mustang LX 5.0/auto with a bashed in quarter in RED, the color she refuses to drive, and she proceeded to drive the piss out of it.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
12/22/10 9:26 a.m.

If its YOUR car I don't see how your wife has any say in the matter, unless she is paying for it AND all the maintenance. I buy what I want when I want. If I don't like it or its a POS I have nobody to blame but myself. You guys are making me thankful that I'm single, which is hard to do around the holidays.

Thanks!

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero HalfDork
12/22/10 9:36 a.m.

In reply to Ranger50:

Strange how that works, eh?

Javelin
12/22/10 9:37 a.m.

Well when it's MY car, she doesn't have a say (q the Red 73 AMC Javelin). This will however be "our" car (much like the Miata) and so it needs to appease us both. I have no problem with most of her demands (02 or newer or LATCH, a hatch/wagon, and cloth), it's the price point that's killing me.

And sorry, but there's no way I'm driving a Toyota. I'd rather walk. At least I won't unintentionally run myself into a wall.

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
12/22/10 9:40 a.m.

If she's driving something she likes and you keep the costs from mucking up household budgeting I don't really understand this. But then I'm not married so what do I know about how this sort of horribly lopsided nonsense is supposed to work.

Obviously the answer is a later-year C4 Corvette with the lift off roof panel and some cool wheels (Panasports?).

STS_ZX2
STS_ZX2 Reader
12/22/10 9:43 a.m.

Where is the 8000 coming from? Is that money that you have as cash, or will it be a loan?

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/22/10 9:47 a.m.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 HalfDork
12/22/10 9:50 a.m.

Haha. My wife currently dd's a 2010 Mazda 3s 2.5 6-speed and has a '97 BMW328iC auto 'vert for warm sunny days. She asked for my input on both purchases. She hates both vehicles. Hates them. And I feel like banging my head on the wall.

RossD
RossD Dork
12/22/10 9:58 a.m.

I'm single.

dankspeed
dankspeed Reader
12/22/10 10:26 a.m.

Just buy a bus pass

Javelin
12/22/10 10:31 a.m.
STS_ZX2 wrote: Where is the 8000 coming from? Is that money that you have as cash, or will it be a loan?

That's what we have cash that we are willing to spend on a car to not have payments ($4K from selling the P71 and $4K from her). We have a good amount in savings, but that's for savings.

I'd rather have payments and a warranty at this point as I've been doing nothing but repairs for the last 6 months (Miata: timing belt, crank pulley & keyway, water pump, tires, radiator leak, v-belts, balancer, CAS, etc. P71: stripped/blown out plugs x2, rear axle, parking brake assembly, rear shocks, etc. GP GT: steering pump, steering rack, lower intake manifold gaskets, front hub assembly, rear toe links, tires, etc.).

I already have a solo loan pre-approved at the credit union and can easily make the payments. I don't understand what her hang-up is.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/22/10 10:42 a.m.

If there's one requirement I'd drop in your list, it's actually the mileage one. I actually prefer a car with higher mileage, as it brings down the price. The caveat is that if I'm buying a higher-mileage vehicle, I'd like some kind of evidence that it's been well-maintained. The truck we bought during the summer is a good example. An '06 RAM 1500 Quad Cab with 135K. Ran and drove great, had a Magnaflow cat-back on it and a BFI iintake with serial # 008. Also noticed a NAPA gold filter on it. I looked at the truck, and said someone who's going buy one of the first good CAIs for the truck obviously had an interest in the truck and took care of it. The NAPA gold filters are what I use on most of my cars as, well - so that didn't hurt.

My thought process is that if someone was putting 20-30K on a car per year, they were relying on it pretty heavily and had to keep it well-maintained. The other plus is that there's a good chance those are highway miles, not stop and go, errands, etc. My co-worker owns an '01 Mustang GT with 239K on it. It looks and drives like new, but that's because he takes care of it and maintains it. He commutes 100 miles a day in it three seasons out of the year. Honestly, it's in better shape than any New Edge I've seen, even ones with super-low mileage.

LATCH is kind of over-rated, I actually prefer using the seat belt for securing a car seat. LATCH has weight limitations which vary by (auto) manufacturer, be sure to check into the limits. LATCH will make it quicker to put in a car seat base for a infant car seat, but that's about it. LATCH is not safer than belts per-se, but is only safer because it's easier for the average person not to screw up the install. If you're serious about transporting kids and their safety, definitely attend a car seat clinic. We've been to a couple and you'll probably see that they prefer to attach a car seat with the seat belt as opposed to LATCH. Another no-no is to constantly installing/taking out/reinstalling a car seat, because there's a chance that you're going to rush and not have it as secure as it should be. My mantra is to take the time to install it perfectly once, and avoid taking it out unless it's absolutely necessary.

Even though I spend a lot of time searching for cars, my wife actually gets 100% of the credit for finding the last two (E36 and truck). I've got a keeper!

lesabre400
lesabre400 New Reader
12/22/10 10:56 a.m.

We had very similar parameters and budget when replacing our t-boned Sentra. To make things ridiculously impossible, I demanded RWD or AWD.

In the end, I dragged home a LATCH-equipped 2001 Subaru Legacy wagon with a 5-speed for $4000 Cdn with 160,000 kms on the clock. The interior needs a good scrubbing but it's rust free and full of potential. The remainder of my budget will be spent getting it ready for autocrossing but you could find a newer one with even less mileage if you wanted to throw the whole $8000 toward the purchase.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WvBeGF0XmRAT8BRQVpBMK4jcQO4Yd0yb2wWUoeah1afpfFpdjrfZbI9BuUIrgobG