1 2 3
wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
5/26/22 12:05 p.m.

Oh and we're trying to get another Detroit area GTG pulled together now in the Trips, Adventures, and Get Togethers forum. Watch there for more details.  Thread entitled Detroit area Holiday GTG.  You pick a holiday!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/26/22 12:48 p.m.

The #1 tradition and "activity" for Michigan weekends is...to go north.  If you will have Michigan coworkers for this trip, don't be surprised if they tell you they wont be around this weekend...their going north.  This "north" can be just a few miles out of Metro Detroit to some outdoor activity or as much as 4 hours away.  IF you too can, go north, I highly recommend it.  Michigan has a short but amazingly sweet summer season.  Your profile says Texas, so you should see it. It's pretty country.  Also see the Great Lakes!  And, before you ask...No, from the wide parts of the Great Lakes you can not see across them.  

On the west side of the state, overlooking Lake Michigan, the sun sets directly into the water, just like a real West Coast.  It's pretty.  Samples

Its possible to see the sun rise out of the water over Lake Huron samples  in the morning and then the same day, see the sun set into lake Michigan, just 2 -3 hours away from each other.  

The main problem with going north is lodging.  In these prime June weekends I wouldn't recommend just heading north to see if you can find a room. The state has a wonderful state park system with great camping but...those sites get reserved a year in advance!  Hotel room w/o reservation can be rapey pricing.  If you have a minivan or something you could rouge-camp and I have some little known suggestions.  Keep in mind that the municipalities are strict about rouge camping.  As such, many of the Walmarts dont allow "overnighting" because it violates local ordinance, etc.    Generally, northern Michigan is not a place of too many rules but this is one the seem strict on.  Still, I have one or two key places to recommend if that's an option.  

Asphalt_Gundam
Asphalt_Gundam Reader
5/26/22 12:55 p.m.

Grab a ticket (if they're not sold out yet) and drive across the state to GRIDLIFE Festival - Midwest — #GRIDLIFE

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/26/22 12:59 p.m.

What's your thing?  California has just barely more boats registered  making Michigan the second highest boat registration in the US.  Florida is 3rd.  Good chance someone you know has a boat.  

Golf?  There's some great golf in Michigan with awesome resort golf in the northern.  

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/26/22 1:15 p.m.
Stampie said:

Try to hook up with Angry. Maybe you can finish the car for him while you're there.

there's more than 3 weeks of work to be done.  but yeah, try to get together with Angry.  he's cool.

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/26/22 4:06 p.m.

Detroit has some good middle eastern restaurants.  If you have time for an overnight I would make the pilgrimage to Grand Rapids for beer and breweries.  The Founders tour is worthwhile and there are a ton of craft bars and breweries in and around Grand Rapids.  It's about 2 hours from Novi.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
5/26/22 10:15 p.m.

So M1 Concourse in Pontiac has a Cars & Coffee on 6/4 from 8-11:00am I believe.  I went to their last one which was estimated to be over 1000 cars by site manager.   That's also not too far from Pastieners on Woodward-about 6 miles or so.  That event is weekly and only about 30-40 cars but a very diverse mix.  Not sure one could do both on the same day.  

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
5/27/22 10:11 p.m.

I'm up north right now.

Stay away from Pentwater, sleepy little beach/marina town.  Nothing to see here.

Trying to keep it that way.

But the rest of the West coast is beautiful.  Holland, Grand Haven, Silver Lake Dunes, skip, Ludington, Fishtown, Petosky, Etc, just keep driving up the coast.  Never ending Beach towns.  Almost UP, there are horses, winerys, Food and festivals.  

Michigan is a tourist economy in the Summer for a reason.  Or just wander over to any of the hundreds of inland lakes, there will be some going on.

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/27/22 11:37 p.m.

I can't believe I'm the first to say this:  Vinsetta Garage!!  It's an old gas station in Berkley Michigan (maybe 20 min from downtown Detroit) converted into a restaurant and bar.  Absolutely a fantastic spot with very good food and all sorts of memorabilia on the walls and hanging from the ceiling.

I used to work for Ally (formerly GMAC), so I spent a ton of time at meetings in Detroit.

As others have mentioned, a stroll through the Ren Cen is a must.

Also, as an outsider, a misconception I had on my first trip there was a concern about downtown crime.  They actually have a private security force in the area and I felt very comfortable walking all over down there alone and in groups.

I think Detroit is fantastic and hope to get back there for a visit with my family.

earlybroncoguy1
earlybroncoguy1 Reader
6/5/22 3:33 p.m.

OK, so I've been up here a week, first reaction(s):

Lots of trees. BIG trees.

Interstates everywhere.

Ya'll have decent weather up here for early June. Mid 70's, low humidty - feels like late October or November weather for central Texas. 

Lots of potholes. BIG potholes.

What the heck is a "township"?

So many New Broncos. See more in one day than I do in a year down in Texas.

Spent an entire Saturday at the Henry Ford museum, so much to take in. It's HUGE. I've been to entire universities that are smaller.

Toured Northville, cool little town. Every house looks like a Norman Rockwell painting.

Apparently there's a large car show next weekend at the Packard Proving Grounds, so that's on the menu. How I'll reconcile that with trying to watch all 24 hours of LeMans I don't know, but I'll figure something out.    

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/5/22 3:38 p.m.

Also notice that metro Detroit was a place made for automobiles.  Big roads. 

Have you yet figured out how to make a Michigan Left on a major road? Don't fight it. The system works well once you understand it and anticipate it.   It's just "a thing" in Metro Detroit. You don't see it in less populated areas of Michigan. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/5/22 4:02 p.m.
earlybroncoguy1 said:

OK, so I've been up here a week, first reaction(s):

Lots of trees. BIG trees.

1. My grandfather was from Chicago and was part of the CCC work program that planted trees in Western Michigan.  Sometimes I wonder if any are still around.  

https://www.michigan.gov/mhc/museums/hln-ccc/ccc-in-michigan#:~:text=The%20Civilian%20Conservation%20Corps%20(CCC,to%20plant%20trees%20in%201932.

2. Drive from Indiana all around Lake Michigan up to Lake Superior and you'll see why all the Christmas trees come from Michigan.   

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
6/5/22 5:44 p.m.

In reply to earlybroncoguy1 :

I am often in Novi for my kids' stuff. 

Suggestions,

Go downtown Detroit. Like park near the Little Ceasars arena and try Frita Batidos for an awesome hamburger. Head over to the river front to chill and look at Canada, pick one of the many fancy or dive restaurants. Feel free to hang around campus Martius after dark. 

Try Mr Kabob xpress local chain for middle eastern American food. (Sort of a kabob Chipotle style place.)

100% get some Sobek's Chicken Shack. Chicken or ribs are great! Broasted potatoes are a clutch must have. 

Living in Detroit I didn't realized "Detroit style pizza" was a thing elsewhere. I think Buddy's pizza is the original but I actually don't like Detroit style pizza so....

Madison heights area and big beaver and dequindre areas are big asian food hubs. 

Ann Arbor isn't far if you want to see The University of Michigan, almost taken over by majority chinese or Korean restaurants.

Mexican town in SW Detroit has touristy restaurants and some real deal spots. I actually think my favorite spot burned down last year. 

Car stuff is scattered but I see others posted the best ideas. 

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
6/5/22 5:55 p.m.

Not sure if it was mentioned but 

Full Throttle Adrenaline Park is in novi as well. 

In reply to earlybroncoguy1 :

You're welcome to swing by the house of anger and check out MonZora any evening except Mon 6/6. PM me if you're interested. 

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
6/5/22 6:35 p.m.

As I have traveled around the country I do love the Detroit,

• Lots of big trees
  • Varied architecture, look at Sherwood Forest/Palmer Woods and University District neighborhoods, Rosedale I think has a house made of slabs of granite or some stone. Like a countertop house, lol. 
  • Extensive cuisine options. Mexican, Vietnamese, Chinese, Lebanese, Arab, "Coney Islands", Italian, modern American, etc
  • Lovely riverside park areas.
  • Incredible art museum. (Old golden age auto money and Pizza company money brought a lot of good art.)
  • Faygo
  • Great weather.

Enjoy your time. Don't hate on our BBQ. And safe trip back home.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/5/22 8:01 p.m.

I eat a lot of salads.  All the salads come with sliced pickled beets.  

Reminder to ask for them to be left off or on the side if you don't want some Red Wings fan beating you up. 

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/7/22 12:31 p.m.

If you decide to venture out of Detroit proper I suggest:

Find a place to go tubing.

Cruise Woodward.

Get beer in Kalamazoo or Grand Rapids. 

Visit Holland. 

Michigan is the motor capitol for a reason. There are excellent museums in Dearborn (The Henry Ford), Lansing (RE Olds) and Kalamazoo (Gilmore Hickory Corners) that are exceptional plus The Lingenfelter, Sloan, Jack Frost, GM Heritage, Pontiac and more. You can EASILY spend weeks touring car museums in Michigan if you choose to do so.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/7/22 9:24 p.m.

Friday or Saturday night on Woodward ave. 13 mile to 15 mile will be the prime cruising spot. Most active around dusk. Swing into Duggans for a burger, be sure to sit upstairs.

earlybroncoguy1
earlybroncoguy1 Reader
6/13/22 6:46 p.m.

Update:

Went to car shows in the area both Saturday and Sunday.

Saturday was a nice little get-together out at Springfield Oaks Park with the "WideTrackers" car club - they are primarily into Pontiacs, but there were other GM brands there - Olds, Buick, etc. Not a huge turnout, but good, and drive through some pretty country out there.

Sunday was a huge show at the Packard Proving Grounds in Utica. What a cool place - been there 100 years. The 2.5 mile banked oval test track is now under a neighborhood, but the original lodge, garage, and entry gates are still there. Beautiful classic Packards, plus hundreds of all other types of cars out there. There's a 38 ft long speed record holder wooden boat with FOUR huge Packard V12 marine engines. 

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
6/13/22 8:10 p.m.

The Packard Proving Ground show is a long time favorite of mine just for the setting.  The track was in severe disrepair decades ago so not a huge loss since it was razed.  

Erich
Erich UberDork
6/13/22 8:28 p.m.

If you decide to come to Ann Arbor we're doing SummerFest every evening except Mondays from like 6-10, where a block of UM property is turned into a festival with music, movies, and beer tent. It's a great time for families, and free. A2 also has the Cascades, a series of waterfalls that folks like to ride down in tubes or kayaks - both of which you can rent at the Argo livery. Great way to beat the heat. 

Just wandering around U of M is a lot of fun, fantastic old buildings like the Law Quad and Angell if you like architecture. 

Ann Arbor is also known for decent food and coffee - folks seem to like Frita Batido's or chilling at any of the restaurants downtown. Be prepared to park in a garage and walk - some of our major downtown streets are closed to traffic from Thursdays thru Sundays

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
6/13/22 8:45 p.m.

So we can look at a local GTG soon then?   Dinner and drinks and let you meet some of the GRM cast of characters here in Detroit.  I'll pop the other thread back up.  

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/13/22 9:13 p.m.

In reply to Erich :

Not sure if I would call what's on the Huron River waterfalls.  More like some minor "rapids".  

Summerfest is a great thing, though.  If you manage to come for that, you can see what's going on at A2SF.org.  But the thing doesn't stop at 10, as there are movies on many nights.

And it's interesting that Frita's has been mentioned for both here and Detroit- Eve has made a pretty good impact.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
6/16/22 9:20 p.m.

Earlybroncoguy1-there is a fantastic car show this Sunday called Eyes on Design at the Edsel Ford Estate in Grosse Pointe.  Fantastic venue, amazing automobiles, and a great cause.  I may go depending upon wife's plans for Father's Day or a possible Ducati group ride.  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
N3Ox3iGS8ccAJVtNK81pthTd1QURLSbVMz5g9NrNR4tH2xzAKmiWPUjRP0GSJXHk