The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
3/29/14 2:57 p.m.

I am a bit curious about the choice of XXR wheels. I've read a whole lot of mixed reviews about them and they don't even appear to be decently regarded in the stretch and poke world, not to stereotype but they have notoriously questionable taste.

I suppose my questions are: Is this just a cast is not good enough bias? Or is there some actual reasoning behind the hate? Are they actually decent track or daily driver wheels but the design of some are knocked off thus the hate? Just wondering what factors went into that decision.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
3/29/14 3:37 p.m.

Dunno. That's part of the reason they're there. XXR is suddenly a "wheel of interest" in the community, so we thought we should see what all the kids were talking about. So far we've had them all of four days and people are already flipping out and canceling their subscriptions. We know they're affordable, available in a size we needed, and light for the price. Beyond that we're as in the dark as you are until we do more testing.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
3/29/14 3:40 p.m.

So how does the 818 like having some boots that were made this century?

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
3/29/14 3:55 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak:

Then I am going to watch for updates with great interest. I have nothing against them just curiosity for curiosity's sake. XXR wheels seem to be a particularly polarizing topic. Just hoping they don't:

Now that I look at the picture I realize they're XXRs... Guess I should read the story that goes with the picture. I'm sure I could find a picture of BBSs that did the same thing if I tried hard enough.

Ninja edit: Here's the supposed story that goes with the picture. I think there's a bit more to it than someone is letting on.

Hasbro
Hasbro Dork
3/29/14 4:36 p.m.

I was a little surprised by the selection but they are very good looking and affordable, probably pretty heavy. Whatever.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
3/29/14 6:09 p.m.

Big deal. Not everyone can afford ballin ass wheels (not even a magazine build! ). And to the folks canceling subscriptions, the magazine is called Grassroots and you're upset that they're looking at a lower cost option? Get out of here with that crap.

4Msfam
4Msfam Reader
3/29/14 6:39 p.m.

I must be a grumpy old man. I like them!

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
3/29/14 8:11 p.m.

JG said people were cancelling their subscriptions. I don't think Spoolpigeon was directing that at you TheOretical.

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
3/29/14 8:26 p.m.

My apologizes and an offer for beer if you're ever in the Inland Empire (excuse to go to Hangar24 in Redlands!). Pain killers are making me unnessesarily combative today as I missed "to then people canceling." I really do apologize and deleted the offending post I made.

Thanks for not quoting my mistake Deadskunk.

Lancer007
Lancer007 Reader
3/29/14 8:57 p.m.

I've seen with my own eyes an STI on Rota torques slide sideways into a curb. Rear knuckle ripped out of the strut and the wheel was scuffed but holding air and fine.

People that crap on 'knockoff' wheels are more often than not elitist douche bags that are more intersted in bragging rights than functionality. I understand buy once cry once but I doubt volks or bbs wheels could not take a slam like that one that the0retical posted.

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
3/29/14 9:53 p.m.

In reply to Lancer007:

Yea I get a little tired of constantly reading about how you should just shell out money for forged wheels. 98% of people will probably never approach the limit of cast wheels where an upgrade to forged is a necessity. Weds and BBS are seriously good quality but for tooling around on the street or a couple trackdays I can't see a point beyond bragging rights.

This coming from a guy debating some TSWs which also have a "reputation" for being "soft".

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
3/29/14 9:57 p.m.

I can personally vouch for Rotas. I have a set of their DPT's on my ms3. Took a curb at 30- they're just find. Almost invisible bend in the lip, no other damage. I bought them because to get the fitment I wanted, I had 3 options. Volk, Rota, and CCW. You tell me which is the most logical.

Quasi Mofo
Quasi Mofo GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/29/14 10:05 p.m.

And mark me down for the XXR and Rota love, I have owned 3 sets of RBs a set of Torque and iirc a set of 501s all treated like crap and never failed

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
11/23/21 1:28 p.m.

I'm guessing this got bumped by a canoe. I used to have a set of XXR wheels on a Civic... that was well before this thread, actually.  They were cheap. They were round. They held air. They weren't particularly lightweight, and I didn't try anything abusive to see what it would take to break them.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nEgchWptuaHjpIjN6i2lw3aWOzbHVJ94nI8MV7V6s6DydBEbUOG1A91maQl6u8PW